How Many Pit Bulls Are There In Australia?

sandgrubber

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many pureblood pit bulls are there in Australia?

• Less than 500
    • 500 to 1000
    • 1000 to 5000
    • 5000 to 10,000
    • >10,000

To answer the question I would say it is in the 1000 to 5000 bracket and possibly higher there are as many here now as there have ever been and more.Just because they were banned from import doesnt mean they wer banned from being bred the other restrictions have only come in the last 5 to 10 years.people never stopped breeding them so like any population it has grown steadily.Just becuase you dont see them out there doesnt mean they arent there.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently in our local paper there was an article that stated the there were 55 restricted breeds registered with our local council, it went into the break down of numbers (exact quote from paper 'There are 54 restricted breeds registered in Orange, including 17 pit bull terriers, six American pit bull terriers and 32 cross pit bull terriers') and that's just the registered ones - alot of people around here don't even register their dogs.

I would say that in Australia there are ALOT.

Wouldn't the answer be none as the fact is, you can not bring certain breeds into this country and the Pit Bull is one of them.

How do get a pure bred Pit Bull into the country, other than by illegal means.

There was an existing population prior to restriction.

I have been led to believe that this is not the case.

I have not been shown any records to prove the case so I stand corrected if this is so. :)

Two pure bred Pit Bulls were brought legally into this country many years ago and both went to the Gulf Country.

To cut a long story short the dog was shot on the chain as he was so savage and totally unmanageable.

The bitch was never bred from and also shot to get her off the shoulder of the owner as she had pinned him down.

Just your trivia for the day :D

I think you heard a story form a friend of a friend of a friend.The dogs were imported from about 1983 onwards until the import ban was brought in in 1992 so that is a 9 year period.I dont know how many dogs were imported but I could find out not that it matters but I would estimate it to be about 3 dozen maybe more in that period of legal importation and that is not accounting for semen imported.In that 20 years they have been banned from importation it has not stifled the gene pool.They honestly beleived they woulbe peter out but they were wrong.They will not be bred out of existence so they need to come up with some common sense policy for all dog owners becuase they are here to stay.There is still a diverse enough gene pool that they will never be eradicated from the Australian landscape.I am not saying this for bragging rights it is just fact,so if the policy makers read this understand it is fact and come up with something that fits.

Dont know of your story but in 1985 2 dogs were imported into north queensland by a gentleman and they were extensivley bred from and were from a certain bloodline that is fairly rare these days.That may be the dogs younawere told about.However they were not the first dogs to enter Australia in fact far from it.

Edited by bulldogz4eva

I have not been shown any records to prove the case so I stand corrected if this is so. :)

Two pure bred Pit Bulls were brought legally into this country many years ago and both went to the Gulf Country.

To cut a long story short the dog was shot on the chain as he was so savage and totally unmanageable.

The bitch was never bred from and also shot to get her off the shoulder of the owner as she had pinned him down.

lmao, now that is funny! there were alot more than 2 brought over, this I know for certain... there are still quite a few purebred pedigree dogs around (US registry), most are not in suburbia though...

Wouldn't the answer be none as the fact is, you can not bring certain breeds into this country and the Pit Bull is one of them.

I think you heard a story form a friend of a friend of a friend.The dogs were imported from about 1983 onwards until the import ban was brought in in 1992 so that is a 9 year period.I dont know how many dogs were imported but I could find out not that it matters but I would estimate it to be about 3 dozen maybe more in that period of legal importation and that is not accounting for semen imported.In that 20 years they have been banned from importation it has not stifled the gene pool.They honestly beleived they woulbe peter out but they were wrong.They will not be bred out of existence so they need to come up with some common sense policy for all dog owners becuase they are here to stay.There is still a diverse enough gene pool that they will never be eradicated from the Australian landscape.I am not saying this for bragging rights it is just fact,so if the policy makers read this understand it is fact and come up with something that fits.

Dont know of your story but in 1985 2 dogs were imported into north queensland by a gentleman and they were extensivley bred from and were from a certain bloodline that is fairly rare these days.That may be the dogs younawere told about.However they were not the first dogs to enter Australia in fact far from it.

More than 3 dozen, In Victoria alone there were 60 legally imported

You are also not supposed to breed them (companion animals act)

That is NSW. Each state has it's own rules, and there are no more restrictions on keeping or breeding them in the ACT or the NT than there are any breed of dogs.

I've met plenty of them in the ACT, can't remember meeting an unpleasant one.

More than 3 dozen, In Victoria alone there were 60 legally imported

That number doesnt surprise me.3 dozen was a conservative estimate of the dogs I know of.I know it will be higher and maybe more than 60 but 80 to 90% were imported into Melbourne so it stands to reason there are still more in Victoria than anywhere.there are still people who have plenty on ice.

Edited by bulldogz4eva

GT the import documents rely on the human word............we all know that the human race is not honest in its entirety.

If you took a pup to the vet for its needles, the receptionist asked what breed, you say what it is or what you think it should be and voila, its now documented that it is now that breed.

Happens in pounds hundreds of times a day.

"Its a Boxer x I was told" clearly when it grows it is a german shep X but by now its already registerd as boxer x. Simple

A young guy I worked with earlier this year imported a Pit Bull pup and got it in to Australia by lying and saying it was an American Staffy.

You beleive this becuase he told you so?LOL.A lot of people claim a lot of things many of them not true.So a young guy with limited resources spends $10,000 to import an American pitbull Terrier when he can get one down the road for $500, yeah right.

Not to mention it involves the person at the other end sticking their neck out and lying and risking their livliehood and or prosecution which in America means jail time to send some know nothing kid a dog.I dont think so.Yes it can be done but it wasnt done by this young bloke you speak of.Think about it.

I think it would be simply impossible to know.

Yes, I've got no idea. Sandgrubber, if you add 'Don't know' to the poll options, I'd choose that. :)

I thought about putting a 'don't know' in, but it would have swamped all the other answers, so I decided to force a choice.

A young guy I worked with earlier this year imported a Pit Bull pup and got it in to Australia by lying and saying it was an American Staffy.

You beleive this becuase he told you so?LOL.A lot of people claim a lot of things many of them not true.So a young guy with limited resources spends $10,000 to import an American pitbull Terrier when he can get one down the road for $500, yeah right.

Not to mention it involves the person at the other end sticking their neck out and lying and risking their livliehood and or prosecution which in America means jail time to send some know nothing kid a dog.I dont think so.Yes it can be done but it wasnt done by this young bloke you speak of.Think about it.

Nope, originally I called his bluff and pointed out almost exactly what you stated... but I had to eat my words when he showed us all photos of his "hunting" dogs and his (must admit, very cute) pup was there in print for all to see! When I asked how he managed it all he told me was his brother lives in the US and "where there is a will there is a way". I told him he was a total w@nka and a few other choice words.

Unfortunately he hardly has limited resources either. He's 22 and already a $200k plus earner in the mines as a Geotechnical Engineer... money that I could only dream of being on.. LoL.

Nope, originally I called his bluff and pointed out almost exactly what you stated... but I had to eat my words when he showed us all photos of his "hunting" dogs and his (must admit, very cute) pup was there in print for all to see! When I asked how he managed it all he told me was his brother lives in the US and "where there is a will there is a way". I told him he was a total w@nka and a few other choice words.

Unfortunately he hardly has limited resources either. He's 22 and already a $200k plus earner in the mines as a Geotechnical Engineer... money that I could only dream of being on.. LoL.

So he showed you a pic of a pup and that makes it true?Lol.

So he showed you a pic of a pup and that makes it true?Lol.

Ok, no it doesn't make it true...I lied. He lied. The photo of him and his pup (and his girlfriend I think it was)in the red dirt of Kalgoorlie was most obviously photoshopped.... happy now?! Oh, and the other dudes in the office who have been out shooting with him lied too... lol, probably because he has lots of guns and to argue with him would probably mean a bullet in the foot (just joking).

Gosh, I was just telling that it happened. He has contacts... most obviously not very reputable ones. I 150% don't agree with what he did, but he did it.

***sigh*** I knewI should have taken him up on the offer to "prove it" to me, but I didn't want to give him the pleasure of standing me corrected when I told him there was no way he would get one into Australia, especially after seeing the photos and others backing him up.

It is worrying thought that if it can happen just how often is it happening?!

Just ETA... sorry my response was a bit rude. Am very pregnant and cranky... I don't blame anyone for doubting it. I probably would too.

Edited by KLS

From a rescue perspective I would just say alot .......generally at least one what would be classed as pure in the pounds we deal with every week . Rangers mostly list them as staffyx , amstaff x , mastiff x or one particularly lovely red nosed ,green eyed pup a dogue x . There are always adverts in our local quokka for pure red nose pit pups for sale .