Question For A Friend About Agession

Hi i have a friend (i dont want to go into too much detail about said person)

She has asked me what i think and im not sure so i thought i would ask on here. She has a Spitz breed dog. She is a lovely lovely dog with great manners and has had alot of training. BUT she has this thing that IF she is doing something naughty and her owner says NO at her in a gowly voice (this dog has never been hit or anything like that) she will spin around and growl. its not been one time its been a few. She is semi standing her ground at the owner Growl at her and then will bolt. The dog was not cornerd or anything.

She has chidren and is concern understandably

Said dog has been known to do things like leap onto the couch and then when told to get off she will growl at the owner. and then will get off.

what do you think??

Your friend needs to get a behaviorist in to assess the dog at home, this isn't something to make a guess at over the Internet, and she should do it asap.

What state or area is your friend in? There are some great behaviorists that come highly recommended by people on the forum. I've used one for some problems I've had with my own dog, and it was money well spent. :)

What do I think? From what you've written .....

I think this person definitely needs to contact a GOOD professional to observe, assess and provide assistance .

She is a lovely lovely dog with great manners

'great manners' does NOT include growling at a human .

We do need to know state/area your friend lives in, so someone can be recommended :)

THIS is the only one I've seen people recommend from WA :) Hope it all goes well.

Edited by persephone

If this dog is growling when told to do something it does not want to do - it does not have good manners. Its just picking its issues.

Your friend needs a good dog shrink to have a look at the situation - please, not bark busters. Try Kathy Kopellis-McLeod - she is very good.

If your friend would like Kathy's contact details, let me know and I will pm them to you.

If this dog is growling when told to do something it does not want to do - it does not have good manners. Its just picking its issues.

Your friend needs a good dog shrink to have a look at the situation - please, not bark busters. Try Kathy Kopellis-McLeod - she is very good.

If your friend would like Kathy's contact details, let me know and I will pm them to you.

Obviously behaviourist ASAP, but in the mean time she should do her best to avoid the dog's triggers for growling.

Instead of growling 'NO' at the dog, try to distract or lure off the couch etc. in a friendly, playful way. This may not be a long-term plan (depending on what the behaviourist says) but it will prevent the dog from practicing & reinforcing the bad behaviour until your friend can get help in.

I also recommend Kathy. In the meantime I concur with what others have said and suggest she does not press this dogs buttons. I would be teaching a hand touch which can be used to lure the dog off the couch....just one of the very many reasons for training a good hand touch.