When Does Snake Season Begin?

Nic.B

It has been quite warm in the Hawkesbury/Hills District during the past few days.

We had a shocker last year seeing multiple snakes, two of which were in our house yard.

It was such a close call with our dogs both times. Luckily they were under full supervision, I was able to intervene.

We have a tidy house yard, no junk or rubbish, we are on 5 acres though and are surrounded by national park.

I removed all water sources from around the house last summer. We have a large dam, though that is a fair way from the house and the dogs are not allowed to swim there in warm/hot weather just in case.

Paddocks are regularly slashed and we have horses in the paddocks around the house. I worry about them as well :(

One concern I have is that we are getting an in ground pool put in in the next few months. Will this attract snakes?

The dogs are only allowed outside under supervision during snake season, and I nearly always sight the yard first. Aside from that they are in the aircon with their legs in the air or on our large deck.

It has been suggested in the past that if there is less activity in the house yard (ie dogs restricted from going outside during active snake season) that this is more attractive for snakes to enter the yard. I would appreciate thoughts on that as well. Not to mention any other tips :)

When does snake season start? as I need to be prepared.

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*shudder* I hate loose snakes. My poor chilhood dog was bitten twice by snakes during her 13-yr life, multi-day vet visits each time :( At least she pulled through tho.

But we have had horses on the same property for around 40-50 years, I don't recall ever hearing of one being bitten by a snake. They'd probably have to surprise one, whereas the dogs will actively chase the snake.

Sounds like you are doing what you can. The little "#$&%'s will sometimes turn up no matter how careful you are, so vigilance of both your property and your dogs for signs of illness are your best defence :)

It doesnt actually stop, but as PF said, be on the alert now as it's all getting warmer. More activity in your house yard will keep them away? Nup sorry. If a snake wants to move through your territory, it will do it regardless of whether you have dogs running around or not.

A little boy was bitten by a brown in the Hawkesbury a few days ago I beleive, which got me thinking. It is 25 here today.

What are peoples experiences with pools and snakes? should I be worried? I guess a positive will be that I can check the pool area first and a snake will be easier to spot.

Oh the joys of a house full of dogs :laugh: 3 are working breeds, 2 are from working lines, a large breed puppy, as well and a foxie who is our best ratter, he really concerns me when it comes to snakes.

It doesnt actually stop, but as PF said, be on the alert now as it's all getting warmer. More activity in your house yard will keep them away? Nup sorry. If a snake wants to move through your territory, it will do it regardless of whether you have dogs running around or not.

Thank You Raz :)

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff, Nic. Good on you. Also watch out for butcher birds who accidentally drop them in your yard. I had one of those a few months ago - scared the crap out of me when I thought my dogs were pretty safe during a cold period

yes i have heard a of few sightings already, have not seen any myself , dont want to , ricki came barreling in the other day shackles up and would not go back outside for ages , so poss one around, she has been bitten b4 . one of the horses that is here was bitten once and almost lost it's hoof . I am paranoid about the dogs as next doors paddock is quite scrubby , also a lot of frogs around here .

I haven't seen one but I had assumed it was warm enough and attacked the yards yesterday - took water bowls inside, cut back long grass, did a tip run etc. OP, it sounds like you are doing what you can. To be honest tho', my friends with pools in rural areas frequently find them in the pool. It's something that would make me think long and hard before putting a pool in.

Sounds like you're doing all the right stuff, Nic. Good on you. Also watch out for butcher birds who accidentally drop them in your yard. I had one of those a few months ago - scared the crap out of me when I thought my dogs were pretty safe during a cold period

:eek: I bet it did!

We had a baby brown in the vege garden and when I disturbed him he took off. The birds were incredible, swooping and diving until they got him. I let my neighbours know, just in case and sure as eggs they discovered a baby brown in their yard.

Be careful everyone.

I haven't seen one but I had assumed it was warm enough and attacked the yards yesterday - took water bowls inside, cut back long grass, did a tip run etc. OP, it sounds like you are doing what you can. To be honest tho', my friends with pools in rural areas frequently find them in the pool. It's something that would make me think long and hard before putting a pool in.

Yes, that is my concern.

My Husband has wanted a pool for years and years, though I would not agree as the kids were so little.

They are great swimmers (swimming from 6 months) though I can almost bet we will have more snakes as it is a great water source.

We will be fencing in the pool area with thick glass fencing like our deck, can snakes get over this?

We saw one on a fire trail 2 weeks ago and one on a walking track in late June. Both small browns. First snakes I've seen in the Sutherland Shire since we moved here 3 1/2 years ago. For every one you see there are 5 you don't.

I just saw somehting move in the paddock next door, brought the dogs in and stood watching for a while, was a lizard trying to get through the fence , went to get a pic and it had done the harry :laugh:

We get lots of lizards too Chezy and Chopper :) I always wonder, snake or lizard? when the dogs bark.

I wonder, do lizards have the same activity levels/seasons as snakes?

Big brown snake reared up at me in Victoria last week. We had a big bluey in the yard in QLD two days ago.

Does anyone know, are reptiles like these paler in colour than usual after coming out of hibernation? Because the brown snake was almost cream coloured and the bluey was very pale.