When Does Snake Season Begin?

Nic.B

Im about to put them up in the Pacers fundraising section

They do dogs and humans and the pouch clips on so you can take it on walks etc

the instructions cover both dogs and us.

Great, I had better get a few!

I have all the kits in my car for accidents for people etc and feel so much better knowing they are there if I need them.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no 'snake season' as such.

Snakes are about all year round.

There is a common misconception that snakes 'hibernate' over the cooler months. They do not.

Snakes 'brumate' over winter. Brumation differs from hibernation in that the snakes don't 'go to sleep' for winter,

but rather 'slow down' their systems to allow for a reduction in food sources as well as heat availability.

Unfortunately (for those wishing to walk their dogs!) snakes can most definitely be out and active in the middle of winter. If the ambient air temperature exceeds that of the snakes burrow/hide, then the snake will leave its place and go out to absorb as much (or as little) of the available heat from the ambient air. Obviously, finding a rock or paved area helps, as these absorb warmth from both direct sunlight as well as the ambient temperature.

Admittedly, snakes active during the cold periods are a lot less active, and appear rather listless, in a bid to conserve heat (energy) and will often let you pick them up and handle them without any fuss at all.

My family go 'snake hunting' (with cameras!) most weekends, and we have seen more snakes over winter in our favorite snake hot-spots than we saw prior to the cooler months.

We have even photographed them many times basking in the rain.

So don't ever become complacent thinking that because it's winter or cool, there wont be any snakes about!

I have seen many snakes in my stock troughs swimming up and back, one trough even looked like it had two poly pipes going into it until one disappeared and when I went around the other side the tiger snake was doing laps. We often see them going across the creek. Most of our snakes are found around the lower lying wet areas and it is known around here that they like water, the browns not so much.

If you have a water feature or dam near your house you have more tigers, so here water does play a part. When we have had very dry summers we have far more snakes around the house. I think the reason they try to get into my dog runs is because they have concrete are cooler and damp as the snakes I have found are all trying to get in along a 3 foot piece of the fence/wall.

snake bit kits sound very interesting.

I've only ever seen two snakes in the water and one was a python that curled up under a log underwater to get away from us and the other was in Yellow Waters at Kakadu and it got snapped up by a Jabiru. The channels there are many with vegetation overhanging the water. The snakes are only in the water because there's not much land!

They get them in the irrigation channels inland, but they get trapped in the gates like every other animal that can swim. Water isn't as easy to come by out there. I've walked around in small and extensive wetlands and never laid eyes on a snake. I did a 10 day field trip setting up fykes in rivers and wetlands and didn't see a single snake. We caught everything else that ever went in the water in those traps. Someone else saw one on the edge of the river. That was November when they are very active. I asked the people that have done a lot of those trips if they ever caught snakes and they said they did once. I have done loads of frog surveys at night and never seen a snake in or around the water during a frog survey. Sorry, I'm just not feeling like the water thing is a fact with snakes. IME they readily take to the water, but that doesn't equate to loving to swim and actively seeking out water sources like dog water bowls and pools. Like I said, we no doubt have snakes around, but we have a pool and we've never had a snake in it and never seen a snake in our yard. We've had 4 species of lizard, a rat, and frogs in the pool, but never a snake. I imagine if we stayed here long enough we'd get a snake in the pool. Pretty much everything falls in sooner or later.

Don't forget that snakes need to seek shelter from heat as well. They overheat if they are in the open when it's over 32.

What about Copperheads whos main (or only) diet is frogs.

These snakes will live permanently right on the edge of water bodies, and enter the water to hunt.

I see them 'basking' in the shallows, too.

I believe that water definitely is a factor in snake populations.... in particularly, the Copperhead species.

Guest Willow

Would a snake be able to climb over glass fencing to get into a pool?

If the height of the fence is shorter than the snakes body it's possible I think....I've seen snakes at almost full height stretched up glass doors, kind of balancing on their tail....they wouldn;t be able to grip the glass surface with their tummies though, they would need to have a part othem on the ground...

Im about to put them up in the Pacers fundraising section

They do dogs and humans and the pouch clips on so you can take it on walks etc

the instructions cover both dogs and us.

I'll be having some of those!!!!

Admittedly, snakes active during the cold periods are a lot less active, and appear rather listless, in a bid to conserve heat (energy) and will often let you pick them up and handle them without any fuss at all.

This is what happened with the one my boy got....huge thing, bigger than him, but it just hung in his mouth long enough for me to tell him to leave it, then when he droppe dit it whipped around & took off. Poor little bugger was probably quite happy under his bush till my boofhead wallydog grabbed him!!!!

There is no 'snake season' as such.

Snakes are about all year round.

There is a common misconception that snakes 'hibernate' over the cooler months. They do not.

Snakes 'brumate' over winter. Brumation differs from hibernation in that the snakes don't 'go to sleep' for winter,

but rather 'slow down' their systems to allow for a reduction in food sources as well as heat availability.

Unfortunately (for those wishing to walk their dogs!) snakes can most definitely be out and active in the middle of winter. If the ambient air temperature exceeds that of the snakes burrow/hide, then the snake will leave its place and go out to absorb as much (or as little) of the available heat from the ambient air. Obviously, finding a rock or paved area helps, as these absorb warmth from both direct sunlight as well as the ambient temperature.

My family go 'snake hunting' (with cameras!) most weekends, and we have seen more snakes over winter in our favorite snake hot-spots than we saw prior to the cooler months.

We have even photographed them many times basking in the rain.

So don't ever become complacent thinking that because it's winter or cool, there wont be any snakes about!

Thanks for this info Jerojath :)

I have seen many snakes in my stock troughs swimming up and back, one trough even looked like it had two poly pipes going into it until one disappeared and when I went around the other side the tiger snake was doing laps. We often see them going across the creek. Most of our snakes are found around the lower lying wet areas and it is known around here that they like water, the browns not so much.

If you have a water feature or dam near your house you have more tigers, so here water does play a part. When we have had very dry summers we have far more snakes around the house. I think the reason they try to get into my dog runs is because they have concrete are cooler and damp as the snakes I have found are all trying to get in along a 3 foot piece of the fence/wall.

snake bit kits sound very interesting.

I can relate to the two poly pipe thing. I thought there was washing machine parts or something dumped while riding, though it soon moved! Sammy (our Arab was aware of it before me) the two snakes then untangled from each other and slid away as they had been clearly disturbed.

In my own humble experiences with water and a happy habbitat for snakes/reptiles; it definately plays a part.

Guest Willow

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question....we're moving in a couple of weeks to 5 acres with a winter creek and a tonne of frogs. In summer it will be dry. It's about 300m from the house yard. If I leave a couple of washing up bowls of water a bit away from the house, will the snakes be likely to go for that and les likely to venture into the house yard??? There are lots of granite rocks in the yard (but also lots on the property in general), so plenty of places for them to hide if they like it in there...

I think water far away from the house is a good idea..it may help.

We have a pool and have snakes in it every summer! Even though the pool area is all paved. I have even been in the pool with the dogs when one droped by for a swim :eek::laugh: Very lucky that both girls have great recall as I only saw the head up and swimming and called the girls over to the steps , acted all excited, and got them out of the pool area into the house FAST. Then went back and got the snake and flicked it over our fence, still our land , but out of the bloody pool!!

Had 7 encounters last summer, all of them in very unexpected places, one even on a busy footpath at NIGHT! My girlchild and her dogs were with me and mine and if she had not looked down we would have trodden on it! Snkes are here year round but we do seem to have more encounters in the summer. We have heaps of kookaburras and butcher birds too which may help keep them down a bit.

When we lived in SA we had many tiger snakes nesting under the house and decking and they would always drink from a bucket, the kids kept tadpoles and frogs..we also had heaps of scorpions etc..now we have tarantulas!! (bird eating spiders)...LOL.

UK is looking better and better..or NZ! :D

also, we would often see snakes swimming in the sea!! around the jetty, when we lived in SA, penguins nested all over the area and they used to be pretty interesting to the snakes, these were NOT sea snakes, they were mostly tigers.

Edited by Monah

I think water far away from the house is a good idea..it may help.

We have a pool and have snakes in it every summer! Even though the pool area is all paved. I have even been in the pool with the dogs when one droped by for a swim :eek::laugh: Very lucky that both girls have great recall as I only saw the head up and swimming and called the girls over to the steps , acted all excited, and got them out of the pool area into the house FAST. Then went back and got the snake and flicked it over our fence, still our land , but out of the bloody pool!!

Had 7 encounters last summer, all of them in very unexpected places, one even on a busy footpath at NIGHT! My girlchild and her dogs were with me and mine and if she had not looked down we would have trodden on it! Snkes are here year round but we do seem to have more encounters in the summer. We have heaps of kookaburras and butcher birds too which may help keep them down a bit.

When we lived in SA we had many tiger snakes nesting under the house and decking and they would always drink from a bucket, the kids kept tadpoles and frogs..we also had heaps of scorpions etc..now we have tarantulas!! (bird eating spiders)...LOL.

UK is looking better and better..or NZ! :D

also, we would often see snakes swimming in the sea!! around the jetty, when we lived in SA, penguins nested all over the area and they used to be pretty interesting to the snakes, these were NOT sea snakes, they were mostly tigers.

Oh nasty :eek: We are paving as well and putting in a big retaining wall at the back. All will be filled in as well.

I am worried as the pond at the back of the house we put in attracted snakes and lizards. This is close to where the pool is going (landscapers have taken everything out now)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a question....we're moving in a couple of weeks to 5 acres with a winter creek and a tonne of frogs. In summer it will be dry. It's about 300m from the house yard. If I leave a couple of washing up bowls of water a bit away from the house, will the snakes be likely to go for that and les likely to venture into the house yard??? There are lots of granite rocks in the yard (but also lots on the property in general), so plenty of places for them to hide if they like it in there...

I am not sure if extra water will help Willow, though it never hurts to try.

Make sure your dogs water is only accesible for your dogs in a safe place. Perhaps try to find a concrete stock trough and put it well away from your yard...

Snakes love retaining walls according to my local snake catcher....they can hug right up against the wall out of sight. We had a big tiger up against one of ours last summer. The cats alerted us...they are our best snake alerts!!

After losing a dog to snake bite we reworked the garden to create line of sight everywhere...all the ground covers went and trees and bushes got a trim. Doesn't keep the snakes out but at least we have a better chance of seeing them.

Edited by flatchat

Yup I nearly stepped on a red belly black in the middle of July on a cold and frosty morning in Nortons park. Certainly changed my opinion on when is safe to wander through long grass.