Nazi'sm

Tapferhund

I have just heard the news (3aw) that the Vic State Govt is going to rush through legislation to not only ban "listed breedS" but to also give all council rangers the authority to go into peoples property's and cease any unregistered dogs of breedS on that list and to destroy those dogs. :eek: (All pit bulls are to be destroyed.)

I have never heard anything like it in what is going on in this State, let alone country and IMO this is not only disgusting, very UN Australian but is no different to what happened in Nazi Germany between 1930 and 1945 where Nazi's did the same in searching homes for people.

:mad

doG help us all !

Edited by Tapferhund

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah saw it here...

Tough dog law set to pass in Victoria

A NEW law to make dog owners culpable if their pet attacks someone is expected to pass the Victorian Parliament tomorrow.

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh flagged the legislation this month following the death of four-year-old Ayen Chol, who was mauled by a pit bull mastiff.

The draft law, which the opposition has indicated it will support, is expected to pass both houses of parliament tomorrow.

Mr Walsh has said dog owners whose pets kill people should face consequences similar to culpable drivers, who can be jailed for a maximum of 20 years.

A "dob in a dangerous dog" anonymous hotline would be set up so people who know of dangerous dogs in their neighbourhood can report them, he said.

Federal Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor plans to raise with his state counterparts the prospect of national laws on dangerous dogs.

The Victorian government also plans to introduce tomorrow a bill to abolish home detention, a move which it flagged before winning power last November.

The anonymous hotline is a worry as anyone with a grudge would be sure to use it.

Edited by Noishe

An amnesty allowing pit bull and restricted dog owners to notify authorities of their pets will end on September 30.

I don't recall the Nazis offering an anmesty.

Hysterical comparisons to the holocaust won't help anyone.

Register your dogs people. Now.

If you're a responsible APBT owner then there's a safe haven for you. It's called the ACT folks and its not a bad place to live.

Edited by poodlefan

This is an excerpt from ABC News online

"Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh says owners of restricted dogs will have until the end of next month to register their animals.

"After that time, if people have not registered their restricted breed dogs, have not had them desexed, do not keep them in a secure enclosure or have them micro-chipped, the councils will have the power to seize them and destroy them," he said.

Mr Walsh says dog owners must be held responsible for their pets."

I think it is wise to look at the detail and avoid hysterics.

Yeah saw it here...

Tough dog law set to pass in Victoria

A NEW law to make dog owners culpable if their pet attacks someone is expected to pass the Victorian Parliament tomorrow.

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh flagged the legislation this month following the death of four-year-old Ayen Chol, who was mauled by a pit bull mastiff.

The draft law, which the opposition has indicated it will support, is expected to pass both houses of parliament tomorrow.

Mr Walsh has said dog owners whose pets kill people should face consequences similar to culpable drivers, who can be jailed for a maximum of 20 years.

A "dob in a dangerous dog" anonymous hotline would be set up so people who know of dangerous dogs in their neighbourhood can report them, he said.

Federal Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor plans to raise with his state counterparts the prospect of national laws on dangerous dogs.

The Victorian government also plans to introduce tomorrow a bill to abolish home detention, a move which it flagged before winning power last November.

The anonymous hotline is a worry as anyone with a grudge would be sure to use it.

Saw it on Sunrise this morning. Victoria is doomed - they're voting on it today, and there has clearly been no mass cry for individuals to contact their local MP's over the last fortnight - hmmmmm. Tapferhound - that would have been a start. The thing is, this is what happened in SE QLD, people still manage to evade the laws, and your taxpaying money will go to councils trying to uphold such a law - costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Just as worrying is, "Federal Justice Minister Brendan O'Connor plans to raise with his state counterparts the prospect of national laws on dangerous dogs." Great, I was just starting to like this country.

And I contine to bash my head, where is the punishment for the tw@t that hid in their house while that poor girl died?!?!???? As it's occurred elsewhere in the world, there will be another death by dog attack in Victoria because of their failure to see the forest for the trees..

The Godwin move is a bold statement - but it's all a part of the similar mindset.

Does anyone have a link to the text of the law?

The AVA news item says a lot, and sounds on target http://www.ava.com.au/newsarticle/new-dog-laws-victoria

Changes to the Victorian Domestic Animals Act 1994 took effect on 1 September. They attempt to address community concern about dog attacks and include the following changes.

• Councils can now seize and impound wandering dogs if they are unidentifiable and believed to be a danger to the public. The dog can be euthanased within 48 hours if unclaimed.
  • A dog that has previously been declared a Dangerous Dog found wandering can be seized and impounded, and euthanased after 24 hours.
  • All cats and dogs 3 months of age and above must be registered and wear council identification on public property.
  • New laws have been introduced that affect declared Menacing, Dangerous and Restricted Breed Dogs.

. . . .

"AVA supports many parts of the legislation, but we were particularly vocal against the breed specific regulations. AVA policy is that 'deed, not breed' should be the determining factor in the assessment and treatment of dogs. This fact has been well communicated to both the Bureau and the Minister, who are fully conversant with AVA's position," said Bill.

The AVA's special interest group for animal behaviour, together with the Australian College of Veterinary Scientists, produced an excellent submission on the proposed legislation, which was submitted to the Bureau of Animal Welfare and to the Minister.

The key area of disagreement is over the breed specific parts of the legislation, essentially the restrictions on Pit Bull Terriers. The restricted breeds include: American Pit Bull Terrier (or Pit Bull Terrier), Perro de Presa Canario (or Presa Canario), Dogo Argentino, Japanese Tosa, or Fila Brasileiro. Breeds other than Pit Bulls and their crosses are either unrepresented or nearly so in Victoria. The biggest problem is determining whether an animal is actually a Pit Bull or Pit Bull cross, or whether it is a cross involving other breeds. There is no DNA test which can identify an animal as a Pit Bull or cross, so the determination can only be made on physical appearance. This is a grey area that can, and will be, contested in court.

Edited by sandgrubber

This is a serious turn of events for Victorian dog owners, and doing a Godwin in your introductory post won't encourage productive discussion. Sad as it is, this is not the same as exterminating millions of people.

I agree.

Don't panic. As I see it, the Federal Government won't have the power to pass legislation and I doubt the states will give it to them.

We don't have national road rules, a national set of criminal laws or a national curriculum yet.. can't see why this will be any different.

Isnt this similar to NSW laws on pitties?

At one stage Councils were going to seize pitties after they announced a cut off date for compliance with the law.

I dont think they did enter homes, but the threat was there. Quite a few were put down in NSW by their owners because people could not or would provide the secure enclosure needed to house their dog.

All seems to have gone quiet in this state in this regard.There are supposed to be no more pitties bred since the law came into being and the dogs cannot be rehomed if they come into a pound, only be returned to their owner, if they owner chooses to reclaim their dog.

They are supposed to also wear a special collar and a muzzle.

Maybe this all has changed???

Although the federal government doesn't have the power, yet, if the new laws are deemed a success in Victoria, there is every possibility that at one of the many meetings of states ministers that a whole-Australia policy will be reached.

I heard the relevant minister on radio just now who said that 'part breeds' and 'off breeds' will all be included. He said that too often people claimed that their dogs were Staffies. Well, all of the Staffies around here are clearly not pit-bulls or mongrels, and this really worries me. On the other hand, they're all registered. Actually, they're particularly pleasant-natured and lovable dogs.

ABC 774 in Melbourne has been discussing this this morning, complete with people calling talking about damage that uncontrollable dogs have done to them, including an elderly lady who was 'burled over' by a uncontrollable dog which shattered her hip. The stories are legion but the bottom line really is that a toddler was mauled to death in her own home. This imagery is powerful and will be long-lasting.

I'm appalled at the dob-in line: however, it's unlikely that a properly registered and securely kept dog will be a victim. At least I hope so.

The ABC presenter, Jon Faine, has repeatedly told the story of Flash, whom he loved dearly, but who twice bit a child and he reluctantly had her put down. He takes a very strong line on this and talk-back predominantly supports him and the impending legislation. Apparently, it is anticipated that within 16 years there will be no pit-bull or pit-bull 'types' in Victoria.

All in all it's a sad day for many dog owners. As usual, the irresponsible few have created problems for the many.

I add my protests to those who are displeased with equating 6 million murdered Jews with this dog-elimination program. I like my dogs more than I like most people but there is no comparison at all. This emotive type response replacing rational discourse is partly to blame for this regretful state of affairs.

Guest lavendergirl

I have just heard the news (3aw) that the Vic State Govt is going to rush through legislation to not only ban "listed breedS" but to also give all council rangers the authority to go into peoples property's and cease any unregistered dogs of breedS on that list and to destroy those dogs. :eek: (All pit bulls are to be destroyed.)

I have never heard anything like it in what is going on in this State, let alone country and IMO this is not only disgusting, very UN Australian but is no different to what happened in Nazi Germany between 1930 and 1945 where Nazi's did the same in searching homes for people.

doG help us all !

:mad Very offensive and should be removed.

doG help us all !

People have the right to make fools of themselves, though (at least in the USA, according to the Supreme Court) not to shout 'fire' in a crowded building. I don't see this starting a stampede.

When I saw the Nazi'ism tag I expected a thread about pedigree dog breeding, eugenics, and fascist.

Guest lavendergirl

doG help us all !

People have the right to make fools of themselves, though (at least in the USA, according to the Supreme Court) not to shout 'fire' in a crowded building. I don't see this starting a stampede.

When I saw the Nazi'ism tag I expected a thread about pedigree dog breeding, eugenics, and fascist.

Offending a race of people is a little more than making a fool of yourself.

doG help us all !

I agree freedom of speech may be one of the last things left and maybe not for long the way things are going.You dont have to agree with the comments or like them.It is just one persons opinion which they are entitled too.

I agree freedom of speech may be one of the last things left and maybe not for long the way things are going.You dont have to agree with the comments or like them.It is just one persons opinion which they are entitled too.

Its an opinion that harms the argument against further BSL/DD legislation in Victoria.

Don't ever lose sight of it. If they can dismiss such arguments as hysteria, then they don't have to pay them any heed.

Yes but saying that the seizing of unregistered dogs (note, ONLY unregistered dogs) is like killing millions of people is just plain, well, stupid. It has sidetracked the debate and will make the dog-crowd look like a bunch of raving loonies. Personally, I'd like the thread edited so we can get on track and discuss the real issues.

People can say what ever they want - doesn't mean they should.