'search & Destroy Mission'

Rottshowgirl

Have you got any friendly boarding kennels in your area. When I ran one, we always had a slew of staffie X's, and I would have been confident that their owners would be happy to have them filmed for this cause. Most rescue organizations will be in the same situation. For that matter, call your local Rangers and ask what dogs are in detention at the moment. Good chance there are a few that they would have to PTS under the new rules. Make sure to point them to the AVA, which has posted a strong statement against visual standards, as well as a statement that DNA evidence won't work.

I have a media crew coming to my house today, to do a piece on the worry of owners with crossbreed dogs being wrongly identified.

I don't know how long I will have to say my piece, but I intend to push the fact that there is no accurate way to judge the make up of a crossbreed dog of unknown parentage, especially visually. I also want to get in that BSL is the wrong way to go anyway.

My dog is a StaffordX and he is apparently being filmed, but I also have 4 little dogs here. Mother and 3 offspring (4YO NOW). These are crossbreed rescue mutts, and the 3 offspring all look completely different. All from the same litter. There were 6 of them, all different in looks and temperament. Hoping to use them as an example. The idea was to show that bull breed dogs are good dogs and can mix with other dogs and humans happily, but I hope they will also take on board the example of the crossbreed litter.

These little examples aren't bully breed dogs, but the theory behind it is the same no matter what breed.

As I said, I don't know how much time we will have, and I am a bit nervous, but hopefully some people who eventually watch the show will see what we are going through with our dogs and the fact that it is very unfair, and does not make sense.

If anyone here has any other suggestions, please post here or PM and I will try to get whatever info into the thing that I can. Hope they don't edit it and miss the point.

I tried to PM Cosmolo and a few others, but seem to be having a bit of trouble with PMs.

We don't have any boarding kennels around here, and unfortunately our pound is Lost Dogs Home. Most of the dogs there get PTS for any reason they can find, and even for no reason from what I have seen, so unfortunately can't go there.My friend does Staffords in Need, but is on the other side of town. I intend giving her details to them. I know the rescues are very upset about all of this. Very worried for the dogs and owners.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a great opportunity Sumosmum, I hope the fact that they are coming to see you means that they are taking a more balanced approach than parts of the media & Victorian govt.

Will be watching ABC at 730 tomorrow :thumbsup:

They seemed reasonable on the phone, and they seemed to understand where we are all coming from. It is ABC 7.30 show. Friday. I will confirm when I know for sure. I wasn't going to post here because I don't like this public speaking business, but am pushing myself to do it. I just want this madness to stop, as we all do. I did all the letter writing stuff over the last lot of dog laws and that was bad enough, but this is so much worse. The letter writing didn't seem to make much difference last time. I even personally spoke to MPs last time, and I do know that a lot of their personal opinions are not reflected in the votes, but these governments seems to bully things through, and don't have any idea of what a mess they are making of things. I really hope that when the next serious attack happens after the end of September, the government will take their share of the blame for not getting it right, or at least for not listening to knowledgeable people and organizations who are opposing this.

:thumbsup: Grab yourself a cuppa and a timtam.

Good idea. :)

Other tips - tidy hair (tie it up), since you're sumo's mum I assume you're female so don't be afraid to put on some clag even if you don't usually wear makeup. Wear sober colours but steer away from black (pastel colours make you look girly and unthreatening, blue for truth - grey is bureaucracy, green doesn't flatter anyone on telly and black makes you look like a devil worshipper). Take an 'outsiders' look at the environment your dogs will be filmed in - put away, for instance, 'mess' e.g. if I were doing this in my yard I'd put away the half chewed garden-set chair that Gus chewed when he was a teenager. These are for instances - if I had the dog on a chain, I'd replace it with a rope. Whatever his collar, but especially if he has a 'tough bling' collar on, I'd wrap a bandana around it - red or blue.

People associate the power and negativity of these dogs with trappings including studs, chains, choke collars, chewed up everything, a wasteland of a yard, black clothing, brain-mashing heavy metal music, bikies, drugs, dogfighting, owner's hobbies funded excluisvely by centrelink, and owner (and apologies in advance because I've never met you and couldn't pick you out in a line-up so you may look like this *winces*) with facial piercings, an old metallica wifebeater vest, a face like a bag of hammers and hair with a blue dyed streak in it.

They don't associate these dogs with cushion beds on the floor, watching the TV quietly, wearing a cute collar, sitting for treats, giving the cat a wash and basically not being reactive to everything around them, and they don't associate them with an owner who looks like an ordinary Joe.

IGreat advice Spot. If you've got a pink fluffy collar, go for that. And can you bring out the littlies to show them all playing together? Gives you an opportunity to say how they're all from the same litter but are completely different as well

Edited by raz

Yep, thanks people. I did suggest on the phone that the dogs all together mixing nicely would be good and he was happy with that. When they called back they said they wanted footage of the dogs all together. Hope the little ones behave. The Staffy will be fine. Funny that, he is the best behaved and most reliable of them all. They are all loved and gorgeous, but he is the outstanding one. :D

Yep, thanks people. I did suggest on the phone that the dogs all together mixing nicely would be good and he was happy with that. When they called back they said they wanted footage of the dogs all together. Hope the little ones behave. The Staffy will be fine. Funny that, he is the best behaved and most reliable of them all. They are all loved and gorgeous, but he is the outstanding one. :D

Good luck - deep breaths, big smile. :) I've got all my fingers and toes crossed for you that it goes well. (I know if I invited a film crew here Gus would behave like a hoon and I could see him putting paws all over the interviewer's suit, no doubt about it.)

Good luck with it today. :thumbsup:

Seemingly, by Hansard, John Lenders seems like an alright bloke sceptical of the Baillieu government's plan. I emailed him. His email is: [email protected]

Dear John,

I am writing to express my thanks for your critical comments to the recent amendments made by the Liberal Party to the Companion Animals Act. When reading the Handsard document, I was impressed with your understanding of the dog bite issue and the issues inherent in the amendments to the act. I was pleased to see that the Labor Party was providing a more thoughtful approach to legislation that appears rushed and illogical.

The most obvious flaw in the changed scheme is the intent to classify dogs as ‘pitbulls’ by their physical characteristics. This is an erroneous proposition. In reality, the legislation is targeting dogs of a particular appearance. As you so thoughtfully said, this presents the problem of the pendulum swinging 'the other way'. American Staffordshire Terriers are a very similar breed to American Pitbull Terriers, and it is likely that any definition describing a 'pit bull' will also encompass American Staffordshires. Indeed, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and mongrels of, are very popular, and it is likely that many innocent pets with no pit bull heritage would be condemned with these legislation changes. Again, as you intuitively noted, these owners may not even be aware that their animals could be deemed as 'dangerous' under the new definition, and may be at risk of their pets being destroyed.

Furthermore, as you observed, there is a risk that more breeds will be included in the restricted breed list, causing more legislative changes and more expense.

Ultimately, legislation such as that seen in Victoria (that is, legislation that specifies restrictions on dogs based on breeds) have not been seen to be effective in any country in which they have been implemented. You are right to be sceptical that this mechanism will be effective. History tells us it will not be.

The public wants to see a reduction in dog bites. I fear the strategy introduced here will not be effective at this goal.

Councils need to be provided with better resources, full stop, especially in regard to ranger-hours. Currently, rangers struggle to uphold existing legislation, resulting in many dogs roaming at large - such as the dog who tragically entered the Chol family home. Indeed, this dog was not even registered with council. It is a fallacy for the Liberal Government to believe that councils can sufficiently fund their current dog management, let alone increased dog management as a result of these legislative changes.

I fully support proposals that make dog owners responsible for their dog’s behaviour. This would allow owners of dogs that bite or kill to be prosecuted for offences, including manslaughter. Hopefully this type of change would make dog owners think twice about owning an aggressive animal.

I am sure that you and the Labor Party will be interested in making a decision that actually works to reduce the incidence of dog bites in Victoria, such as educational strategies, rather than supporting the heinous proposals by the Liberal Party. The dog world can clearly see the holes in the Ballieu government’s incompetent and hastily drafted strategy, and would surely embrace a more logical proposal from the opposition.

I welcome your email or phone call. My phone number is xxx.

Kind regards,

I think you are referring to the speech by Mr BARBER (Northern Metropolitan) , Lender didn't say much of any consequence in his speech.

S

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/new-laws-to-cull-evil-dogs/story-fn7x8me2-1226124880997

DOG inspectors will be sent on a "search and destroy" mission to rid Victoria of thousands of pit bull terriers.

The Baillieu Government today will rush new laws through Parliament to arm council officers with the powers they need to seize and destroy unregistered restricted-breed dogs.

The move comes a fortnight after a pit bull cross ran into a Brimbank home and mauled four-year-old Ayen Chol to death.

Ayen's father, Mawien Chol Monjang, yesterday welcomed the crackdown.

"I don't want any other child to be attacked by a dog again ... it gives me some peace of mind. I have another two boys and I need them to be safe," he said.

A new set of identification guidelines spelling out exactly what is regarded as a pit bull or pit bull cross will stop owners claiming their dogs belong to different breeds.

An amnesty allowing pit bull and restricted dog owners to notify authorities of their pets will end on September 30.

From that day, dog inspectors will have the authority to destroy any unregistered dog fitting the pit bull description.

From today members of the public can "dob in a dangerous dog" through a $100,000 hotline to help council officers identify potential dangers hidden in their neighbourhoods.

The Baillieu Government is in talks with the Municipal Association of Victoria about hiring extra animal officers to track down potential killers.

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said the changes will close a legal loophole and ensure pit bull crosses are included on the dangerous dogs register for the first time.

"Owners of pit bulls and pit bull crosses will have one month to ensure their dogs are listed on the dangerous dog register," he said.

"If these dogs are not registered by September 29, council officers will have the power to seize and destroy them."

With the Opposition already indicating it will support a strengthening of the restricted breeds legislation, Parliament should pass the Coalition's Domestic Animals Amendment Bill by tomorrow.

All Victorian pit bulls and crosses must be identified on the restricted breed register.

Dogs on the register must be microchipped, desexed, kept in a secure yard and muzzled and on a lead when in public. Owners who fail to notify authorities could have their pets destroyed from September 30.

The Government is considering the introduction of a new crime similar to culpable driving that could see the owners of killer dogs jailed, rather than facing a maximum $4500 fine as is the case for the owner of the pit bull that killed Ayen.

American Pit Bull Terrier Association of Australia president Colin Muir said the legislation was misguided.

He said it unfairly focused on the look of a dog, not those that actually presented a danger to the community.

"This is canine genocide, that is all it is," he said.

"Since restrictions were imposed on pit bulls in 2005 there has been no reduction in overall dog attacks."

ANYONE wanting to identify a pit bull or other dangerous dog living in their neighbourhood can call 1300 101 080 from 8am to 6pm, seven days a week.

God help anyone with a large cross breed dog & nasty neighbours :mad:

I agree :(

The crew have just left, and I have told them about the forum, and the concerns we all have. Have seen the standard which looks like an information sheet. Very much the same information that was on the QLD checklist.

I think it all went well, and hopefully it will make sense. Still not clear on what this all means if a registered dog, eg. staffyx, is accused of being part restricted breed. I think we will have to wait to site the actual Bill, and then Act.

Monty was a good boy as usual and so were the others. Didn't get to say much about the crossbreed issue of litters not looking identical, that would have been too long. Anyway, fingers crossed and hope it all made some sense to others who see it. Apparently the other side of the argument are going to have their say, so that will be interesting.

I have directed the interviewer to this forum,dol, as he asked where he might find other views on the subject. I didn't feel as nervous as I thought I would because I care so much about this issue, and feel with the help of DOL members and others in the know, that I am right in opposing this. Thanks to all here who have educated and enlightened me on the subject of BSL and dogs in general. Together with 51 years of sharing my life with dogs, I hope that at least one person who watches the TV actually thinks about all of this in a sensible way. I did mention the Calgary Model and the fact that BSL is not working and won't work.

I had a local newspaper interview this morning and have a photographer coming this arvo. Journalist was very good and i got to say everything i wanted to say- hoping it will be a decent article.

My vet is more than happy to write a letter- no idea whether it will hold any weight as yet though.

I am getting my vet to write something for mine tomorrow.

Can you let us know how you go with that? Or pm me if your prefer? I'd just like to know if what the vet writes will hold any/more weight than a DNA breed profile.

That was in the document that was shown to me, the info sheet that is this Standard. One of the provisions was that a vet state/certify as to what breed of dog it is. The other things were ANKC rego and other variations of that. Wish I could have kept a copy of it but the official thing will be released today anyway...........and by thing, I do mean THING. :eek:

ETA loads of plain crossbreeds will fit the criteria. And probably some non papered pure breed dogs as well. :mad

Edited by sumosmum

I am getting my vet to write something for mine tomorrow.

Can you let us know how you go with that? Or pm me if your prefer? I'd just like to know if what the vet writes will hold any/more weight than a DNA breed profile.

That was in the document that was shown to me, the info sheet that is this Standard. One of the provisions was that a vet state/certify as to what breed of dog it is. The other things were ANKC rego and other variations of that. Wish I could have kept a copy of it but the official thing will be released today anyway...........and by thing, I do mean THING. :eek:

So they had a copy of the standard, but us dog owners haven't seen the damn thing yet, typical.

Actually, if thats the case, It will be good if you can get a vet that actually knows about breeds to state what type of dog you have, I'm going to have to suss one around around here then.

Dog only knows what the rest of the bill entails, by the sound of it though, it's a bit scary? :laugh: