Restricted Breed?

Authorised Officers (from the local council) have the power to

declare that a dog is a Restricted Breed. Within 7 days of

making a declaration, an Authorised Officer must serve written

notice of the declaration on the owner of the dog, either

personally or by registered post. The notice will contain

information about how owners can apply for a review of the

decision, if desired, along with the housing and ownership

requirements that apply to Restricted Breed Dogs.

Link to Casey Coundil, under the title,

Things you should know about restricted dog breeds - September 2011

Casey Council

I haven't checked other councils yet to make sure they all have the same info, but they should. Has anyone else checked their councils?

I do have to say that a non restricted breed will guard a property just as well as any restricted breed we had a gsd in England to protect our property and us!!! But he was able to be taken of the property to be walked without attacking anyone at all or any other dog only time he went for someone was when I was alone and it was a shady man that walked over to me luckily I had him with me and got another lady's attention who came over to see if I was okay but he was a smart dog!! M current dog would let anyone in the gate and try to lick them to death lol but my point is many breeds out there that will protect you and your property with out be over aggressive and a danger when of your property and a joy to own fila's are a very protective dog very very loyal to there owner but Australia is not bad enough to need such a breed of dog trust me some that has live in lots of places and different countries

There must be more Urban myths about Fila than any other breed out there. I never had a problem with mine on or of the property. Guess why , because i raised and socialized them like a normal Dog . Didn't keep them hidden away from strangers when pups like a lot of Brazilians do.

sumosmum you did a fantastic job! You came across as a responsible, caring and concerned dog owner, and in no way the 'dog fanatic' that some people might think would be the only ones worried about this legislation. LDH on the other hand makes my skin crawl, that man is evil, pure and simple.

That poor white dog looked utterly terrified. Be at peace, little one.

Yes Sheridan, I felt so sorry for the white dog with the eye patches. Very very sad. :cry:

I was frustrated with this part of the segment. Many dogs are terrified upon entry to a pound or shelter. Different smells, sound, vibe etc. Often it can take them a day or so to settle, a small number shut down completely :( and can be difficult to assess/work with. This can happen with any breed though, including SWF's

What they didnt show was the happy, well adjusted staffy mixes who happily sit at the front of their pen with a smile and bum wiggle for every passer by.

Introducing two stressed dogs through the fence like that is just stupid, an expected response from the dogs under the circumstances. Camera/sound men just adds to the stress, obviously done for show.

You did an awesome job Sumosmum! congatulations and thank you :thumbsup: Monty is gorgeous!

Well done Sumomum. Rational, sensible reporting is so important at this point.

Agree re above statement of fear in eyes of white dog. One of my CKCS would have a similar look in her eyes if she were in that situation!

You were better than wonderful . :worship::worship::worship:

You've managed to come across in a way that many have failed to do in the past. Like others have said , you look like a caring and responsible dog owner, nice house, well cared for and obedient dogs and I think you will have caught and held the attention of many dog owners.

Well done

Ditto!

Can I third that? You were great!

There must be more Urban myths about Fila than any other breed out there. I never had a problem with mine on or of the property. Guess why , because i raised and socialized them like a normal Dog . Didn't keep them hidden away from strangers when pups like a lot of Brazilians do.

Exactly! There's the key. Same with the lost female pitbull we found. It was easy to see why she had a sweet, sensible, biddable nature....even tho' she was in a stressful situation surrounded by strangers. When her owners came to collect her, they were nice, well-presented, doggie-loving & knowledgeable people, who'd raised her just like you've done with your dogs.

I was pleased to see what was in this week-end's Sydney Morning Herald about the notion of banning dog breeds.....with reference to the Victorian situation. Excellent quotes from experts who gave compelling reasons why that's the wrong direction.

And there was a wonderful cartoon by Leunig showing a woman cautioning her OH who's taking the dog for a walk. She's telling him not to let the dog attack anyone. But the bloke at the other end of the leash is the one who looks the anti-social one.

At last, the spotlight is going firmly on what people do....& where the outcome in terms of dog behaviour is the result.

The government aren't listening to anyone- except the voice of a scared and ill informed general public.

Those in the government who have an interest in the process, the responsible departments, will see this thread. If they don't actively search for it they will have it pointed out by a colleague, secretary, whatever. They will without doubt have seen the less intelligent, more aggressive posts. And they are the posts that will be given attention, and not the kind most of us would want. Jeeze talk about some dog people being all of our worst enemy.

The reference to ear cropping in GT's attachment surprised me, and the number of cropped ears in the images: how many pit-bull owner's mutilate ears: surely that is just another way of giving "them" bullets to fire at us. I've always thought anyone who did that to a dog didn't deserve to own one - but when it can be used to fuel the BSL move, it's even less acceptable. But not right if the govt are using overseas images to press their point either.

I'm concerned for my gentle black square-head dog, and hope that moving house next week, still within Victoria, to rural surroundings will reduce any risk to her: not everyone can vote with their feet unfortunately.

I do have to say that a non restricted breed will guard a property just as well as any restricted breed we had a gsd in England to protect our property and us!!! But he was able to be taken of the property to be walked without attacking anyone at all or any other dog only time he went for someone was when I was alone and it was a shady man that walked over to me luckily I had him with me and got another lady's attention who came over to see if I was okay but he was a smart dog!! M current dog would let anyone in the gate and try to lick them to death lol but my point is many breeds out there that will protect you and your property with out be over aggressive and a danger when of your property and a joy to own fila's are a very protective dog very very loyal to there owner but Australia is not bad enough to need such a breed of dog trust me some that has live in lots of places and different countries

I've never met a Fila (would LOOVE to though), but the same can be said for the Presa Canario's - met quite a few back in Canada. Unbelievable dogs - absolutely lovely, even the a rescue one I met from a cruelty case. I wouldn't walk right up to a strange one and throw my arms around them in a hug like I would with a pit bull, but they were always happy to hang out with me and let me share there couch.

It's such a shame that people like Cosmolo will not get to experience dogs like these down in Australia, they're fantastic working breeds - but again, a heavy emphasis on Working.

Found this on the Casey council site.

What happens if a dog is declared a

Restricted Breed?

Casey Council

I haven't checked other councils yet to make sure they all have the same info, but they should. Has anyone else checked their councils?

At least owners will have half a chance, im in the city of Casey myself, in Lyndhurst. My dogs should be fine since they are both pure bred and papered, English and American(the bureaucracy of it)staffords respectively.

Seriously, the new legislation would be fine if it werent for targeting dogs based on a look as oposed to the deeds at hand. I think all responsible owners, of ANY breed think that putting the onus onto owners is more than sufficient, the rest leaves too much room for pre concieved predudices on particular breeds, either through misinformed justification (they have LOCK JAWS!), fear mongering (tragic cases from the news making us point the finger at specific breeds) or somtimes the more sinister unjustified hatred of a breed/s.

I personally, instead of hiding my dogs from the public like a criminal have taken to showing them outside more often and giving people a better chance to see their temperment as stable, fun dogs.

Just yesterday I took my family up to Sky High, Dandenong Mountain and we stopped for lunch in Olinda. Some people were doing double takes and wide berths.

More attention was given their way when a little white yapper (and i wont pidgeon all small dogs as trouble makers, its just their owners can somewhat aford to be less in control of them as they pose a much smaller threat than what a larger dog might) had a go at my boys who barely looked at it when it walked past.

This little dog was lunging for them and barking quite aggressively but people seemed quite amazed that my 'crazed killer' dogs were more interested in being well behaved, and no few people did mention their good behaviour thereafter.

By showing more people that they can be as good as any other dog i think we can help people see that it is about owner responsibility almost all of the time, and when people ask, i tell them that these sort of animals can be likened to trucks or motorbikes. When responsible people are behind them theres rarely any trouble, but when irresponsible people are, it can be disasterous.

Edited by Uzi

Found this on the Casey council site.

What happens if a dog is declared a

Restricted Breed?

Casey Council

At least owners will have half a chance, im in the city of Casey myself, in Lyndhurst. My dogs should be fine since they are both pure bred and papered, English and American(the bureaucracy of it)staffords respectively.

Seriously, the new legislation would be fine if it werent for targeting dogs based on a look as oposed to the deeds at hand. I think all responsible owners, of ANY breed think that putting the onus onto owners is more than sufficient, the rest leaves too much room for pre concieved predudices on particular breeds, either through misinformed justification (they have LOCK JAWS!), fear mongering (tragic cases from the news making us point the finger at specific breeds) or somtimes the more sinister unjustified hatred of a breed/s.

I personally, instead of hiding my dogs from the public like a criminal have taken to showing them outside more often and giving people a better chance to see their temperment as stable, fun dogs.

Just yesterday I took my family up to Sky High, Dandenong Mountain and we stopped for lunch in Olinda. Some people were doing double takes and wide berths.

More attention was given their way when a little white yapper (and i wont pidgeon all small dogs as trouble makers, its just their owners can somewhat aford to be less in control of them as they pose a much smaller threat than what a larger dog might) had a go at my boys who barely looked at it when it walked past.

This little dog was lunging for them and barking quite aggressively but people seemed quite amazed that my 'crazed killer' dogs were more interested in being well behaved, and no few people did mention their good behaviour thereafter.

By showing more people that they can be as good as any other dog i think we can help people see that it is about owner responsibility almost all of the time, and when people ask, i tell them that these sort of animals can be likened to trucks or motorbikes. When responsible people are behind them theres rarely any trouble, but when irresponsible people are, it can be disasterous.

I agree, getting our lovely dogs out and showing people for themselves that with good owners, all dogs can be well behaved and a pleasure to have around.

The Standard and the crossbreed bit is the scary bit here. A lot will depend if the Rangers in the area are reasonable and honest people who are educated well themselves. Some are not. And the areas that come under the Lost Dogs Home, the councils who use them for pound services some of them will be a worry I think. Not all, but some.

Still have no idea how many parts of the Standard a dog has to have present before it is called a Restricted Breed. Maybe they have to tick all the boxes there, I don't know. Does anyone have any idea at all?

Still have no idea how many parts of the Standard a dog has to have present before it is called a Restricted Breed. Maybe they have to tick all the boxes there, I don't know. Does anyone have any idea at all?

I think that's the million dollar question atm, how Is It going to be applied ?? Maybe they are still working on that bit :confused:

If anyone wants to accumulate pictures to show how stupid the standard is, this dog is a pit bull x basset who is in our local (California) shelter.

post-8994-0-36940300-1314972447_thumb.jpg

Johnny is a 6-year-old Basset Hound/Pit Bull Mix looking for a new home due to a divorce. He's a very good dog and gets aling great with kids and other dogs. He's totally potty trained and has a great temperament. One front leg has a slight deformity, but that doesn't slow him down. Like a true hound, Johnny can be vocal, so may not be the best match for an apartment-dweller. He's currently in boarding in the Santa Cruz area, and would love to meet you. Johnny is not an AFRP dog. For more information please email Don at [email protected]

If Johnny was unfortunate and ended up in the Lost Dogs Home, he'd be dead as soon as his eight days was up. Doesn't matter how kid or dog friendly he is because he'd never get the chance to display it. One, he's too old to be adopted (yes, at six he's too old) and two, he's deformed.

Edited by Sheridan

Joe public needs this information. It's sickening how people just watch the news, read the newspaper and take all the bullshit as gospel, but it is the way MOST of us live.

Doing a bit of research uncover the truths, but most won't have the desire or motivation to do so, so I guess it's up to us to speak out and attempt to inform. We can either say something or say nothing.

Edited by Uzi

Gotta start small I guess. Don't keep your dogs out of sight in fear, be a spokesperson and socialize your dogs when you walk. People will generally have no qualms telling you they're afraid of such and such dog or you'll be able to read the body language.

When they do if your confident enough, don't get defensive and lash out with a snide remark, acknowledge their fear and drop a little fact on them. Educate yourself on how many attacks were made in the last x years and how many pitties or bully types attributed to. Somtimes a little gem like that could spark them to look deeper, and when they do they're more than likely to tell somebody else.

They may say oh but the pitbull x killed that girl, but any larger dog could do enough damage to hurt somebody small like that, it's just unfortunate that the child was in the way of the warpath that particular dog was moving.

It's also your immediate circles. Many people Im related to or know have had conceptions of what these dogs are like but through me have converted into lovers of the breeds.

So what's this do?

When the dogs end up on the news for who knows what, people love a chat, and the people who know better will voice more educated facts to people who are only fed via mainstream media.

Thanks for the article. I have posted the link on my facebook page and my business's facebook page. I have also posted the link to numerous local 'animal' rehoming pages etc.

The further this word can be spread the better.

Another article to use is the recent one (I think Snook posted that one as well a few pages back in this thread..?) in regards to Brisbane dog bites - on the rise. As a city/region with some of the strictist companion animal laws, that article needs to be broadcasted far & wide. What they're doing is NOT working, BCC is failing public safety.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've read many threads from this website for a long time now as a guest. However, since this whole nonsense from the Victorian government started, I've been frantically trolling the web to see what other owners in a similar predicament to mine are doing. Thanks so much to everyone. You all give me hope and I'm glad I'm not the only one disgusted by that "quacks like a duck" analogy. I have an American Staffy cross. His name is Kilo--his dad may have been a Staffy or Pitty X Mastif, really not sure, and his mum Brandy is an English Staff x Amstaff. So if this legislation ever came to play here in NSW I'd be in big trouble. I've put them both through obedience training and continue to train with Bark Busters who have been really great! They're now both desexed as well and I definitely think of myself as a responsible owner and agree that owners SHOULD be punished for and if their dogs step out of line. But just last weekend I was walking Kilo and a woman pushing a tram gave me the WORST death stare as she held her kids back from crossing paths with us. I told Kilo to sit and drop so that she could pass but that didn't stop her from turning around and giving me the evil eye. On the same day, a lady completely froze in her steps and asked me to quickly walk past because she was terrified. I've been finding younger kids usually come up and ask me if they can pat him and I let them, but sometimes older kids who may have been exposed to this media nonesense will start screaming (if they are girls) and moving back or will start yelling pit bull pit bull (if they are boys). It's all too sad and scary and I have no idea how people can justify BSL.

Just wondering, I was going through Facebook and noticed there hasn't been a page dedicated to this cause as yet (to overthrow or rethink the legislation in VIC)--if you guys are looking for a way to get media attention, this might be a great option especially since media outlets are now paying more and more notice to these kinds of things on Facebook...?

If ever my dogs would be put at risk of being confiscated by the council and put down, I too might become one of those crazy ladies on the news you hear about. Probably cuff myself to my dogs and threaten a hunger strike. :p

I received this reply from the DPI regarding the application of the guidelines:

In response to your questions regarding the Government approved standard for restricted breed dogs in Victoria, an Authorised Officer of Council has the power to declare a dog to be of a restricted breed if the dog meets the definition of a restricted breed dog or falls within the standard approved by the Government under the Domestic Animals Act 1994.

It is for the individual Officers to form their opinion on a dog and use the standard as they see fit to determine whether a dog is of a restricted breed or not.

Thank you for your email,

So basically anything goes.

S