'search & Destroy Mission'

Rottshowgirl

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/new-laws-to-cull-evil-dogs/story-fn7x8me2-1226124880997

DOG inspectors will be sent on a "search and destroy" mission to rid Victoria of thousands of pit bull terriers.

The Baillieu Government today will rush new laws through Parliament to arm council officers with the powers they need to seize and destroy unregistered restricted-breed dogs.

The move comes a fortnight after a pit bull cross ran into a Brimbank home and mauled four-year-old Ayen Chol to death.

Ayen's father, Mawien Chol Monjang, yesterday welcomed the crackdown.

"I don't want any other child to be attacked by a dog again ... it gives me some peace of mind. I have another two boys and I need them to be safe," he said.

A new set of identification guidelines spelling out exactly what is regarded as a pit bull or pit bull cross will stop owners claiming their dogs belong to different breeds.

An amnesty allowing pit bull and restricted dog owners to notify authorities of their pets will end on September 30.

From that day, dog inspectors will have the authority to destroy any unregistered dog fitting the pit bull description.

From today members of the public can "dob in a dangerous dog" through a $100,000 hotline to help council officers identify potential dangers hidden in their neighbourhoods.

The Baillieu Government is in talks with the Municipal Association of Victoria about hiring extra animal officers to track down potential killers.

Agriculture Minister Peter Walsh said the changes will close a legal loophole and ensure pit bull crosses are included on the dangerous dogs register for the first time.

"Owners of pit bulls and pit bull crosses will have one month to ensure their dogs are listed on the dangerous dog register," he said.

"If these dogs are not registered by September 29, council officers will have the power to seize and destroy them."

With the Opposition already indicating it will support a strengthening of the restricted breeds legislation, Parliament should pass the Coalition's Domestic Animals Amendment Bill by tomorrow.

All Victorian pit bulls and crosses must be identified on the restricted breed register.

Dogs on the register must be microchipped, desexed, kept in a secure yard and muzzled and on a lead when in public. Owners who fail to notify authorities could have their pets destroyed from September 30.

The Government is considering the introduction of a new crime similar to culpable driving that could see the owners of killer dogs jailed, rather than facing a maximum $4500 fine as is the case for the owner of the pit bull that killed Ayen.

American Pit Bull Terrier Association of Australia president Colin Muir said the legislation was misguided.

He said it unfairly focused on the look of a dog, not those that actually presented a danger to the community.

"This is canine genocide, that is all it is," he said.

"Since restrictions were imposed on pit bulls in 2005 there has been no reduction in overall dog attacks."

ANYONE wanting to identify a pit bull or other dangerous dog living in their neighbourhood can call 1300 101 080 from 8am to 6pm, seven days a week.

God help anyone with a large cross breed dog & nasty neighbours :mad:

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A new set of identification guidelines spelling out exactly what is regarded as a pit bull or pit bull cross will stop owners claiming their dogs belong to different breeds.

So now they can Identify what Is the make up of a cross breed! :mad

i would like to see what these guidelines are, heck I think the rest of the world would too!

A knee jerk reaction due to the recent (tragic) death of the young girl by the neighbors dog.

While I have no problem with registration, what worries me is they are going to include pitbull crosses. Who determines if my dog (staffy x amstaff) may be a pitbull cross? She is registered as a staffy, is microchipped, and desexed, but with the new law, can a ranger now deem her a pitbull cross if (hypothetically) someone rang the hotline and said there was a pitbull here?

While I have no problem with registration, what worries me is they are going to include pitbull crosses. Who determines if my dog (staffy x amstaff) may be a pitbull cross? She is registered as a staffy, is microchipped, and desexed, but with the new law, can a ranger now deem her a pitbull cross if (hypothetically) someone rang the hotline and said there was a pitbull here?

That's my concern too, if a neighbour has a beef with you, calls the hotline and because your dog is a cross you can't actually prove their makeup through pedigree etc, the ranger has the power to make the breed determination.

You would be very hard pressed to find anyone anywhere who can reliably make visual breed recognition for a cross breed, it's just not possible.

Folks if you live in Victoria and are concerned about these laws then now is the time to do more about it than post here.

Write to your State MP. Today. Outline your concerns. Avoid references to Nazism or the holocaust because you will sound like a fruit loop.

And write to your local council too.

Unless and until you do, then this is just going to happen.

Edited by poodlefan

A knee jerk reaction due to the recent (tragic) death of the young girl by the neighbors dog.

if she is registered my understanding is that she can't be seized. If they decide she is a PB (she doesn't look like one, which seems to be the test!) then she may need to wear a muzzle outside your property, and be on leash only.

Folks if you live in Victoria and are concerned about these laws then now is the time to do more about it than post here.

Write to your State MP. Today. Outline your concerns. Avoid references to Nazism or the holocaust because you will sound like a fruit loop.

And write to your local council too.

Unless and until you do, then this is just going to happen.

Even better - go and meet with them.

I posted in reply on the Herald Sun website.

Pit bulls have had to be registered as dangerous dogs for years. And only now they're going to do something about it? Ultimately, this shows the inadequacy of the system as a whole.

So they have changed legislation. Considering that rangers are currently inefficient at implementing current legislation (such as roaming dogs, dog registration, dogs on lead, and dog waste), how are they ever going to find time to target people's pets?

I understand that the public is angry and upset about Ayen, but it is ridiculous to believe that destroying 'pit bull type' dogs is going to influence dog bite statistics. Indeed, in any country where pit bulls have been 'banned', there has been no change in dog bites. None of us want dog bites - and that is why I am adamantly against these proposed changes.

We need to place the responsibility of dog ownership on people. Prosecute the owners of dogs that bite. Prosecute the owners of dogs that roam at large. Implement more education for dog owners, for parents, and for children. But don't spend money on destroying pets for the sake of public image. Do something productive, instead of just doing something.

if she is registered my understanding is that she can't be seized. If they decide she is a PB (she doesn't look like one, which seems to be the test!) then she may need to wear a muzzle outside your property, and be on leash only.

You have no idea what they are using to Identify a cross breed, In their eyes It may look to them as a Pit X

I'm sure It's been proven before when a dog resembled a Pit Type was actually not, but only because parentage of this dog was known.

How many will know the true parentage of their crosses to defend themselves :(

I just wrote this to my local member, Bob Such. Not sure what else to do.

Dear Bob,

I have been a resident of Happy Valley for approximately 4 years, and have enjoyed getting the 'Such and Such' on a regular basis.

I am writing to you as I am very concerned about legislation being introduced in Victoria regarding dangerous dogs, and that similar legislation may make its way to South Australia.

The new Victorian legislation seeks to make 'pit bull' cross breeds classified as dangerous dogs, too, and encourages members of the public to report any dogs their suspect are a pit bull.

I find this heinous as pit bulls cannot be identified by physical characteristics, or even DNA, and in reality the legislation is targeting any 'bully breed' like dog. As staffordshire terriers, and mongrels of, are popular breeds, it is likely that many innocent pets will be condemned with these legislation changes.

It is unnerving that the government is so willing to spend colossal money on this project, even implementing a hotline, when there is no scientific basis to this process. By this I mean: In no country where there has been a pitbull ban has there also been a decrease in dog bites.

In a perfect world, these resources would be spent on:

* Increasing the number of ranger-hours in all councils, so they can efficiently enforce legislation that is currently specified in the Dog and Cat Management Act.

* Increasing educational resources to dog owners, parents, and children, to encourage safe practices by all facets of the dog bite issue.

* Introducing legislation that makes owners responsible for their dog's behaviour. This would allow owners of dogs that bite to be prosecuted for offences, including manslaughter.

For your interest, I am a 'dog enthusiast' with 3 dogs of my own. I am also involved in dog rescue. I worked at the RSPCA for 3 years, and now coordinate a program called the Delta Dog Safe Program. Dogs are very much my hobby, and I have spent many hours researching all aspects of dogs - include breed bans and their associated problems.

As a concerned resident, I was hoping that you may direct me to the best place in which I can make my arguments against any changes in the Dog and Cat Management Act. I am very unsettled about these developments in Victoria and how it may impact on pet ownership in South Australia.

I welcome your email or phone call. My phone number is **.

Kind regards,

Thats my concern too bite me. My dogs are registered and contained so my hope is that they should not come under scrutiny. But what if someone with a beef or paranoia calls the dob in a dog hotline? I have no way of proving what my 2 bull breeds are as they are from shelters. Will a shelter having labelled a dog as a Staffy x or Bulldog x be enough?

I don't believe that the shelter's ID will mean anything. There will be a new "visual inspection" test that is done by a council staff member (ranger?). I assume there would be some sort of appeal process and if worst came to worst you could get a DNA test done? It seems that the onus will be on owners to prove their dog isn't a PB, the council won't need to prove that they're not.

IT is crazy to think that when Mr Cosmolo walks my mini schhauzer Lucy with Dex/Georgie someone could dob them in - and yet Lucy is the one to worry about!

Thats my concern too bite me. My dogs are registered and contained so my hope is that they should not come under scrutiny. But what if someone with a beef or paranoia calls the dob in a dog hotline? I have no way of proving what my 2 bull breeds are as they are from shelters. Will a shelter having labelled a dog as a Staffy x or Bulldog x be enough?

Yes, exactly my worry too Cosmolo, it's so frustrating to (potentially) be at the mercy of the new guidelines that determine if your dog may have pitbull in it.

Does anyone know when the new law and breed ID will be published in full so we know what we dealing with?

I wouldn't have a problem registering my dog, but the problem is I don't want my dog desexed. I prefer having my dog natural. I like the temperament of dogs that are not desexed, they are more energetic, playful and alert.

My dog is not around any female dogs. It is ENTIRELY secured in my backyard with 3 metre high fences, and two sets of locked gates between the backyard and the road. WHY THE HELL SHOULD I HAVE TO HAVE MY DOGS NUTS CUT OFF?