Rottshowgirl

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is your dog a restricted breed?

If it isn't, there is no law that you have to desex, but your dog should be registered.

No its not, but I do plan on owning a restricted breed in the future. Its the thought of forcing people to desex their dogs that pisses me off. This law makes many presumptions about people being irresponsible, and forces responsible owners to be treated as if they are irresponsible. And what if you want to breed pitbulls or other restricted breeds of dogs? Are they trying to eradicate all breeding?

I don't believe in ANY breed of dog being banned. Go to hell nanny state governments of Australia.

Edited by cybergenesis

How can you plan on owning one when its illegal to breed or import them?

Dude pitbull types breeds are widely available and certain other restricted breeds are also available (especially Dogo Argentino) if you know where to go...

The dog I would really like though is Fila Brasileiro

Edited by cybergenesis

i have a print of a visual code the shelters were using 6 ye rs or so ago for supposed purebreeds, i grabbed it of this forum from someones post, might dig it up if I can remember my pB account login, huge variations on it, some may have all ready seen it and know, that was pretty bad I can't think how any "improvements' could be done, for X's it seems crazy especially.

If it isn't, there is no law that you have to desex, but your dog should be registered.

No its not, but I do plan on owning a restricted breed in the future. Its the thought of forcing people to desex their dogs that pisses me off. This law makes many presumptions about people being irresponsible, and forces responsible owners to be treated as if they are irresponsible. And what if you want to breed pitbulls or other restricted breeds of dogs? Are they trying to eradicate all breeding?I don't believe in ANY breed of dog being banned. Go to hell nanny state governments of Australia.

Yes, they are. That's the point of the compulsory desexing law.

What in hell does anyone in this country need a Fila for? Get some other permitted Molossar. Then you can keep it entire within the law - and pay through the nose for the privilege like other dog owners.

No its not, but I do plan on owning a restricted breed in the future. Its the thought of forcing people to desex their dogs that pisses me off. This law makes many presumptions about people being irresponsible, and forces responsible owners to be treated as if they are irresponsible. And what if you want to breed pitbulls or other restricted breeds of dogs? Are they trying to eradicate all breeding?I don't believe in ANY breed of dog being banned. Go to hell nanny state governments of Australia.

Yes, they are. That's the point of the compulsory desexing law.

What in hell does anyone in this country need a Fila for? Get some other permitted Molossar. Then you can keep it entire within the law - and pay through the nose for the privilege like other dog owners.

PF - this is the same person who says they want to own a human aggressive dog. For protecting his/her yard. Got a few applauses too?

How can you plan on owning one when its illegal to breed or import them?

Dude pitbull types breeds are widely available and certain other restricted breeds are also available (especially Dogo Argentino) if you know where to go...

The dog I would really like though is Fila Brasileiro

So, you plan on backyard breeding, unpapered restricted breeds then? Why? :confused:

I haven't seen anywhere where it says when the visual code will be released- i wish they'd do it soon because i'd like to know what we're dealing with.

I believe that this sort of info generally comes out with the regulations - which follow legislation. Given that the legislation has been rushed through, I think it will be a fair while before we see these. They'll need to go through committees and reviews etc. They might make a special case for this though, and rush these through too. Be careful what you with for. Rushed regulations are often vague and hard to comply with.

i have a print of a visual code the shelters were using 6 ye rs or so ago for supposed purebreeds, i grabbed it of this forum from someones post, might dig it up if I can remember my pB account login, huge variations on it, some may have all ready seen it and know, that was pretty bad I can't think how any "improvements' could be done, for X's it seems crazy especially.

Remember that "Pick the Pitbull" thread with photos that was up on the BSL thread?

That was a really difficult one to do? I dare say it would be equally as difficult for any "Ranger" to come to the conclusion that a certain crossbreed is a "PB type" either.

PF - this is the same person who says they want to own a human aggressive dog. For protecting his/her yard. Got a few applauses too?

No doubt. There is a place in this world IMO for dogs prepared to do harm to humans who simply trespass. IMO Australia is not one of those places and a dog with the temperament of the Fila needs to be carefully placed in the right homes anywhere.

A correctly temperamented Fila will do more than just guard.. so when little Timmy comes uninvited over the fence looking for his tennis ball, he won't be leaving in one piece. I'd say he wont' be leaving anyway but in a coffin. Anyone who could casually say that they wish to own such a dog in an urban setting in this country needs their head read.

Place that argument in a place like Johannesburg and its a whole new ball game.

Edited by poodlefan

Remember that "Pick the Pitbull" thread with photos that was up on the BSL thread?

That was a really difficult one to do? I dare say it would be equally as difficult for any "Ranger" to come to the conclusion that a certain crossbreed is a "PB type" either.

yeah I have seen that, the one I am referring to was actually released by the Vic govt, or the shelter people can't remember I will look for it.

edit I havnt been able to get the second page with all the pics on it of this yet but in time, the pics are so bizarre that was used for visual training! anyway heres the descriptive the other page has picks but I will try and source that later.

image00322.jpg

BSLre-homeVicGovtBrochurepics.jpg

Edited by -GT-

A knee jerk reaction due to the recent (tragic) death of the young girl by the neighbors dog.

While I have no problem with registration, what worries me is they are going to include pitbull crosses. Who determines if my dog (staffy x amstaff) may be a pitbull cross? She is registered as a staffy, is microchipped, and desexed, but with the new law, can a ranger now deem her a pitbull cross if (hypothetically) someone rang the hotline and said there was a pitbull here?

if she is registered my understanding is that she can't be seized. If they decide she is a PB (she doesn't look like one, which seems to be the test!) then she may need to wear a muzzle outside your property, and be on leash only.

Aren't staffies and pitbull terriers genetically identical? How can they look different then? If such a law is implemented, how will anyone ever differentiate between a staffordshire and a pitbull terrier, unless the former is a pure breed with papers?

A knee jerk reaction due to the recent (tragic) death of the young girl by the neighbors dog.

While I have no problem with registration, what worries me is they are going to include pitbull crosses. Who determines if my dog (staffy x amstaff) may be a pitbull cross? She is registered as a staffy, is microchipped, and desexed, but with the new law, can a ranger now deem her a pitbull cross if (hypothetically) someone rang the hotline and said there was a pitbull here?

if she is registered my understanding is that she can't be seized. If they decide she is a PB (she doesn't look like one, which seems to be the test!) then she may need to wear a muzzle outside your property, and be on leash only.

Aren't staffies and pitbull terriers genetically identical? How can they look different then? If such a law is implemented, how will anyone ever differentiate between a staffordshire and a pitbull terrier, unless the former is a pure breed with papers?

I'm no genetecist, but I don't think they're genetically identical? A purebred APBT certainly looks different to a purebred stafford. In any case, I believe the test will be visual. There will be a list of traits with points associated with it (my guess, we won't know until the regulations come out). Certain score = pitbull or pitbull x. Some dogs will pass based on looks (and they might have PB in them), some dogs will fail (with not a drop of PB blood). It will all come down to how your dog looks and the ranger assessing them.

Scary days ahead. If there is a news report in the future about some crazy lady baricading herself inside her house refusing to give up her dogs- that'll be me. That page is :eek: GT but i'd love to see the pics when you have a chance too.

I believe American Staffordshires and Pit Bulls are genetically identical?

Scary days ahead. If there is a news report in the future about some crazy lady baricading herself inside her house refusing to give up her dogs- that'll be me. That page is :eek: GT but i'd love to see the pics when you have a chance too.

I believe American Staffordshires and Pit Bulls are genetically identical?

The ACT needs more decent dog trainers Cosmolo. :provoke:

From memory very similar breeds are unable to be genetically distinguished as there is the same variation between breeds as there is between individual animals. That may have changed with more advanced genetic screening but from what I can tell we aren't there yet.