'search & Destroy Mission'

Rottshowgirl

Are you sure Megan? If a dog is registered with council but the council sees the dog (or a hotline caller dobs the dog in) and believes the dog should have been registered as a restricted breed and kept accordingly, can they seize and destroy at that point?

I don;t think we'll know 100% until the regulations are out, however this is the way I've interpereted it. After all, the test isn't going to be fail safe and us mortals won't be trained in it so it would be unreasonable to expect Joe Bloggs to be able to ID his dog as PB cross. I'd think that you'd have to comply with dangerous dog legislation though.

As I understand it too...if you have previously registered your dog as a Staffy x or some other blend and it is found to actually be a Pitbull, your dog will be seized and destroyed. You will need to contact the council within the 4 week period to correct the breed of the dog on their records.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ag minister just said that "if it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, it is a duck. If it fits the description of a pit bull type dog and if it is not registered as a restricted breed it will be put down after September 30th" :(:cry::eek::mad

wow, my mum who was always against Pits just rung me, she fell in love with a APBT in WA when i lived there and now is a fan. She rung to see if i had heard and to see how i was taking the news, she said it is so sad and she hopes it does not end up happening

Ag minister just said that "if it quacks like a duck, swims like a duck, it is a duck. If it fits the description of a pit bull type dog and if it is not registered as a restricted breed it will be put down after September 30th" :(:cry::eek::mad

And there could be a flip side to that as well, In where people who have pit types based on looks alone but are actually not, will be registering their dogs as such just to save their lives therefore having to abide by restrictions :(

Very very tragic for many how ever we look at It I think :cry:

The thing is- how on earth are you supposed to know. I honestly couldn't tell you with any certainty what my cross breed dogs are. I don't think they are APBT but other people might. I just saw Graeme Smith from LDH on spruiking about them being the most dangerous dogs in Australia- and then they showed a dog that looked like one of mine.. :(

this legislation is absolute, well i wont say the word, i am so glad i dont live in Vic and feel for those that do. I have an am staff, and as cosmolo said, some say they are the same as a pitbull. i would laugh if someone told me he was a dangerous dog and had to wear a muzzle he would lick someone to death perhaps, talk them to death, or beat them with his wagging tail but that is it. why cant they temp assess the dogs and then on that fact deem any breed what ever it is as dangerous dog not just a particular breed target as they are doing.

It is very concerning that now anything i think that is tan and staffy looking is going to be dobbed in as a pb, did anyone else notice that on the news most of the dogs shown were not pb at all most tan staffies and some well not even staffy looking.

So what do you do if you have a stuffy x? Register it as a pitbull x, in case someone says it is after 30 sept?

And there could be a flip side to that as well, In where people who have pit types based on looks alone but are actually not, will be registering their dogs as such just to save their lives therefore having to abide by restrictions :(

Very very tragic for many how ever we look at It I think :cry:

Yes, thats the problem isnt it. I can't prove one of mine is a Staffy, (no papers) but she came from a reputable rescue group 5 years ago (as a pup) and is registered as a staffy (as advised) but could possibly have Amstaff as well.

So any moron can ring the hotline, say there is a dangerous dog, the ranger comes out and then what....does he decide? :confused:

This law is wrong is no many ways its not funny. :mad

Could someone please clarify for me?

- So any non-papered "pitbull" looking dog must be registered as a "Dangerous Dog" and kept accordingly?

- Any dog not registered by the deadline, deemed to be pitbull-looking may be seized and destroyed?

- Any person can ring the hotline to report a "dangerous dog". Does this apply to any breed/crossbreed or just pitbull types?

I feel it is very unfair for pitbull type dogs to have to be registered as dangerous dogs when they haven't neccesarily done anything :(

Any dog that is not registered as a pit bull or cross that is then deemed one by a ranger or whatever they are can be seized and euthed even if it is known they are not but their is no proof ie a cross bred or non ped registered breed that to the said person resembles a pitbull or cross.

Any yes any person can dob in a pitbull to this "hotline"

PF - this is the same person who says they want to own a human aggressive dog. For protecting his/her yard. Got a few applauses too?

No doubt. There is a place in this world IMO for dogs prepared to do harm to humans who simply trespass. IMO Australia is not one of those places and a dog with the temperament of the Fila needs to be carefully placed in the right homes anywhere.

A correctly temperamented Fila will do more than just guard.. so when little Timmy comes uninvited over the fence looking for his tennis ball, he won't be leaving in one piece. I'd say he wont' be leaving anyway but in a coffin. Anyone who could casually say that they wish to own such a dog in an urban setting in this country needs their head read.

Place that argument in a place like Johannesburg and its a whole new ball game.

What ever "poodle fan".

I live in one of the roughest neighborhoods in Australia, we had over 5 murders in this suburb last year and many, many other bashings, sexual assaults and attacks. Just cause you live in posh poodle ville doesn't give you a right to judge. I've only been here a year and I have already had my place broken into and my possession stolen, including my former dog (which was a labradore).

You can really go stuff your opinions. Little Timmy isn't going to be coming over my 3 metre high fence, I don't have any kids as neighbors and all the neighbors are long term.

Its none of your bloody business why I want a specific dog or not, and I have every right to have a guard dog that is capable of taking down an intruder for my protection (well I should have that right, if Australia wasn't such a gutless cotton wool nanny state). I have a right to protect myself whatever you may think. You may like dogs that are "like little poodles" but I like real dogs with assertive temperaments that are capable of protecting me. BTW You would make a great leader for this nanny state, seeing as you like to judge other peoples business.

I am a responsible owner, entirely capable of managing my dog and restricting my dog to my property. You are a clown who likes to think people are too irresponsible to handle things and everything should be banned.

Oh and "poodlefan", there are many non-banned breeds which are quite capable of mauling to death little Timmy, I have met great danes and other dogs that would maul little Timmy if he jumped the back fence, its not the breed, its how the dog is trained and socialized, its hypocritical and deluded reasoning that thinks some breeds are "bad". There is no such thing as an evil or bad breed of dog.

Screw the government banning everything (especially dogs), because of the extremely small minority of dog attacks by irresponsible dog owners (you know instead of actually holding those owners heavily responsible). Ban cars, ban back yard pools, ban swimming, ban sports, lets all wrap the whole of society in cotton wool and take away all of our liberties, otherwise poodlefan might have nightmares about the bad things that could happen. OH WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Cybergenesis, in case you hadn't noticed, Poodlefan has actually argued AGAINST BSL in numerous recent threads.

As a bully breed owner I for one have appreciated her going in to bat against those who are pushing BSL. She has countless times pointed out the reality that "there are many non-banned breeds which are quite capable of mauling to death little Timmy"(in your words).

You'll get the rest of us nowhere with your attitude. Oh and if you believe your own words that it's not the breed but how the dog is trained and socialized, how's about just training a non-banned breed to be a guard dog?;)