Retirement Breeds.

Blackdogs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the beauty of retrieving trials - the handler stands still whilst the dog does all the work! So I can see myself with working Springers for a long time to come. There are some inspirational people running fast agility dogs who aren't so mobile so no excuses there either! Will just have to teach my dogs loose lead walking a little more consistently :laugh:

Always a Deerhound!! May have to pay someone to walk them, but they are sooo laid back and easy to live with and a good size if you need something to lean on. Afterall they've spent years leaning on me, one day I'll get my turn.

Pam

I have hit retirement and the two breeds I have are absolutely ideal for people who want easy going low maintanence dogs.

For the past 30 years I have bred, shown and owned the French Bulldog, wonderful little characters, just happy to be with you, if you want to go for a walk that is OK by them if not still OK, the other breed I have, just one, is the Italian Greyhound, they are like the Greyhound couch potatoes but as you all know a lot smaller.

CKCS, French Bulldog, smaller terrier maybe norfolk, norwich or westie.

Also like the idea of giving a home to a 'verandah dog' an aged working breed that needs somewhere to spend the remainder of their days, I love kelpies but a young one would not fit my lifestyle even now, but maybe a really old one ... :D

I am retiring before Christmas, so already have mine! She is one of those couch potato BCs, when I brought her back from our walk this morning she went right back to bed :rolleyes: I would love to have another dog, something medium sized, thinking of fostering or rescue :shhh: dont tell OH

At the moment I am thinking Schipperke :D but need to research a couple of others that also look good for when I can no longer handle a Kelpie (luckily that is a long way off yet!)

They were going to be mine, too. Now it happens that I have just acquired a puppy. What awesome little dogs they are. However, I've changed my mind about having them as a retirement breed, this one, at 5 months is about twice as active as my very active Kelpie!

First I have to live that long........I seem to be wearing out my body rather quickly. :eek:

I am drawn to high drive ACD's and ASTCD's and will always love them. However, after one trip to the pound saw me leaving with a particularly adorable Aussie Terrier I fell in love. I'd love to own a blue and tan of my own one day. I could have kept 'Kenny' in a heartbeat but a fantastic home came up for him, so I let him go.

S