Three Syllable Dog Names

littlesquashyguys

I asked this question inside the Waiting for a Puppy thread...but it's a long thread and my post has been swallowed up.

My favourite names for a female dog are Emmylou, Scarlet and Clementine. Do you think three syllable names are too long for a dog? I know someone with a mixed breed dog called Matthew Arnold (the dog, not the person). I think this is funny, but is it too confusing for the dog? Peope are always going on about how dogs should have one or two syllable names.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I dont think its confusing for them. My dogs are generally all 2 syllable names but Indie is often called Indiana and if anything he responds even quicker to that 4 syllable name. Considering the wide varirty of commands they can learn, I would just choose the name you really want regardless of how many syllables it is as you are the one that will be calling it out several times a day for the next 10-20yrs :)

name them whatever you like- nicknames usually take over anyway ;)

So true

Completely agreed. I don't think my two ever get called their real names unless they're in trouble. Halo is normally Hales or Haley-hoo (or the long list of insulting nicknames that OH has for her).

With four dogs darting about, sometimes I trip over my tongue trying to get out the right name in a hurry so it becomes a combination mash of all their names eg OdinRakimTlaloc, RakimTlalocOdin, JavaTlalocRakim or sometimes even OiYouWithTheFur.

These mashups are all multiple syllables but they do respond when I eventually get their name out! Then again they also respond to Monster, Furball, Excuse Me and my favourite DontEvenThinkAboutIt.

I think, in some ways, dogs are more intelligent than humans, in the same way that dolphins are. I don't think a dog would be confused, just wondering what other people thought. I think I would have trouble with the pronunciation, more than anything, and would most likely shorten my dog's name when speaking to her.

I will have to choose carefully though because "Clem" doesn't have the same appeal as Clementine.

Edited by littlesquashyguys

I asked this question inside the Waiting for a Puppy thread...but it's a long thread and my post has been swallowed up.

My favourite names for a female dog are Emmylou, Scarlet and Clementine. Do you think three syllable names are too long for a dog? I know someone with a mixed breed dog called Matthew Arnold (the dog, not the person). I think this is funny, but is it too confusing for the dog? Peope are always going on about how dogs should have one or two syllable names.

I know of a Pug called Barry! I laughed my head off when I first heard it.

Dogs don't care what you call them. They largely go by the tone of your voice at any rate I think and the sound of the whole word.

Dogs don't care what you call them. They largely go by the tone of your voice at any rate I think and the sound of the whole word.

LOL Barry! How awful! I'm still laughing!

I have had two three syllable name dogs. 'Zeberdee' (who was generally always called Zebby or Zeb) and 'Liza Jane' (a rescue that came to me with the name 'Liza' but was just too blonde for such a strong name :laugh: ). She did get 'Lizey' white a bit, but we did use her full name without issue quite frequently.

Generally two syllable names work best and people will naturally extend one syllable names to two and shorten three to two in everyday 'pet names' (mostly ending with a 'y' 'ie' or 'ee').

One of my dogs who has a one syllable name ('Grace') does have a three syllable pet name ('Gracie Mae') though. So the rules are there to be broken! ;)

Edited by espinay2

LOL Barry! How awful! I'm still laughing!

I LOVE Barry as a name! But I would probably end up calling the dog Bazza.....hmm, Bazza and Shazza works for me. :rofl:

One of our recent fosters (RIP due to tumour) was named Dave Buzzard The Rockstar aka Buzz for short. Dave Buzzard is a ficticious character of course, but we had another one named Stanley or Stan the Man (after Paul Stanley from KISS). We had a Jovi too and a couple of others that I can't recall just at the moment.

It's only fair we explored other musical genre's given we had Kenny, Tammy and Reba

One of the most handsome and lovely red ACD's I ever fostered I named Cecil (Cec) and his adoptive owners kept his name because it suited him perfectly.

My own dogs were/are Sheila (Sheil), Trevor (Trev), Mick and Lena.

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02