Vit C Vs Ester C

sas

Hi!

I'm looking for factual information, idealy with links or more information I can research.

I'm trying to find on information on Vit C vs Ester C when given to Large-Giant breed pups to assist with them being down on their pasterns during teething etc.

Some say that normal Vit C does not work and that it has to be Ester C, whereas others say Ester C should never be given to a large breed puppy.

Anyone lend a hand on this one?

I can't see how it would make any difference. They are both Vitamin C and many breeders use one or the other for medium/large breeds to keep the ligaments tight. Personally I use Calcium Ascorbate powder because it is kinder to the stomach than even Ester C and easier to work out a dose.

Also found this for you.

The only synthetic vitamin C that has been shown to lower the risk of HD is sodium ascorbate. Dr Belfield gives the doses need for this type of synthetic vitamin C as:

Dr Belfield in his book, How To Have A Healtheir Dog, The Benefits of Vitamins and Minerals for Your Dog's Life Cycles, published in 1981, recommends the following doses of vitamin C depending on activity level of the dog:

Small Dogs - 500 to 1,500 mg daily

Medium Dogs - 1,500 to 3,000 mg daily

Large Dogs - 3,000 to 6,000 mg daily

Giant Dogs - 6,000 to 7.500 mg daily

Puppies Large Breed - first 4 months - 500 to 1,000 mg daily

Puppies Large Breed - 4 months to adult - increasing gradually - 1,000 to 3,000 mg daily