Alaska Woman Punches Bear In Snout To Save Dog

Panto

Oh my goodness how terrifying!! This could have come off a lot worse, good thing everyone involved safe and well.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/alaska-woman-punches-bear-in-snout-to-save-dog-20110902-1jos2.html

Alaska woman punches bear in snout to save dog

September 2, 2011 - 7:06AM lead_brooke-420x0.jpg Bear boxer ... Brooke Collins and her dog Fudge.

An Alaskan woman says she knows it was stupid to punch a black bear in the snout to save her dog.

But Brooke Collins says the attack happened so fast that all she could think about is keeping her dachshund, Fudge, from being killed.

The 22-year-old says as soon as she let her dogs out Sunday, Fudge started barking and she saw the bear carrying him like a salmon.

Collins told the Juneau Empire she did the first thing she thought of and punched the bear's face and scooped away her dog when it let go.

The startled bear took off through bushes to a mountain.

Fudge suffered some claw and bite marks, but they weren't deep. Collins says he appeared to be more shocked than injured.

AP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/alaska-woman-punches-bear-in-snout-to-save-dog-20110902-1jos2.html#ixzz1WkaFfhyM

How fortunate that everyone came away fairly unscathed!

When you think about it though - if you saw your beloved pooch being carried off by a bear, or similar - I think most people would try to do 'something' (maybe not punch the bear in the face!!). I couldn't watch my dog being carried off to it's death either - I'd act first, think of consequences later :o

Or maybe I'd just scream at OH to do something!!! ;)

Fudge is such a cutie - who wouldn't rush to save that face/???

Poor bear was probably thinking... WTF????!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Kelly_Louise