Jafco Vs Plastic Basket Muzzle

ButerflyGirl

I've been looking into getting a basket type muzzle (not the restrictive cloth ones) for my boy.

He is a Rotti x Koolie, almost 2 1/2 years old.

Originally we had wanted to get him one to be able to take him travelling and camping and reduce the risk of him eating anything nasty (baits, "yummy" dead animals, cooked bones etc) but now there are a few other issues....

He is now full grown and weighs just over 40kg, has a very determined personality, and can get a bit excited in new situations, and is quite a strong dog, especially in the jaw (devouring turkey necks in under 5 minutes if he takes it slowly)

Our most recent visit to the vet for his immunisations, we had a young female vet who insisted that he be muzzled (he had always loved going to the vets, due to going to puppy pre school and having vet nurses that adored him, and loved to say hello whenever we came in) We got him into the leather muzzle she brought in, which he was constantly trying to get off, and growling more than ever. This ended up in the vet needing to get one of the vet nurses in to hold him still just to give him the injections, she gave up on even trying to listen to his heart or check his temp. In the past as long as we are shovelling treats in to his mouth and the vet says hello nicely (ie "this is what I smell like, here's a treat, I'm a good guy) vet visits have always gone smoothly.

This combined with all the recent hype about Pit Bulls, and BSL I am thinking that it may just be easier (and safer) to have him used to wearing a muzzle and find something that fits well and he accepts as a good thing, and train him my way to wear it, not just throw it on him when he is already stressed. I wouldn't be surprised if the vet just wasn't prepared to take any sort of risk being a rotti x, and I guess that attitude may become much more common place.

I have also read that being muzzled puts the people at ease and the dog picks up on this, reducing the anxiety in the dog, and I know my boy picks up on our energy.

So there is my rambling thoughts behind this.

My needs are:

- basket type to allow panting and drinking

- he is a slightly slobbery dog so steering away from leather.

- safe, to prevent the possible bite in a high stress situation

- well fitting and comfortable for the dog to prevent him wanting to take it off, and to make it easier to train him to accept it (he can be very stubborn and determined)

I have found the plastic basket muzzles at a local fodder store for about $20 like this one, and then I have found the Jafco muzzles from k9 pro for $55 plus postage

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this, I've read a lot of people are happy with both the Jafco, but also people have been happy with the plastic muzzle, is the Jafco worth the extra money?

Vanessa

I would be going for the Jafco one, the extra money for the quality for one thing, its clear... it doesnt make your dog look like a scarey hannibal lecter dog... and it sounds like he is already getting judged just by his appearance already.

Going to invest in a Jafco one for my dobe, he spends time with me at work... and with dogs and people coming in and out all the time... Id rather be safe than sorry (for what other dogs might do to him not the other way around...). And if you get the muzzle from K9-Pro you get the program with it to teach him to enjoy wearing it.

ETA: Silly vet for shoving it on him then stressing him out more... now you have to untrain him to hate the muzzle and the vet. :(

Edited by Maxiewolf

ETA: Silly vet for shoving it on him then stressing him out more... now you have to untrain him to hate the muzzle and the vet. :(

Yes and silly vet practice for allocating this vet when we specifically asked for someone experienced, and able to handle larger excitable dogs (explaining that he loves going to the vet and meeting new people, but does get a bit excited with the experience, so needs someone confident. The vet we had last year was also young and whilst no issues with his vet skills, was obviously intimidated by a big excited dog, hence our request this year)

Now they have lost our business, we will pay a bit more and go to another one!!!

The muzzle you posted a link to is, IMO, not suitable for anything with a muzzle of any width. They are also harder plastic than the same design, but made in Italy ones ,.and seem to poke into the dog's face below the eyes etc. I bought a few ,as they looked the same as Hamlet's wonderful old Italian one ... WRONG. (we have koolies & koolie x's )

Those jafco ones look nice & wide and much more comfortable than the cheap ones :)

Edited by persephone

• 3 weeks later...