Coming To Terms

JulesP

How do you come to terms with a pet having a chronic illness? Amber is fine today but could die tomorrow, next week or in years.

Is that any different to any pet? You never know what might happen. She could get bitten by a snake tomorrow!

So how do you relax and get on with things knowing that your pet is so sick? Although right now she is doing zoomies around the garden with Poppy!

How do you come to terms with a pet having a chronic illness? Amber is fine today but could die tomorrow, next week or in years.

Is that any different to any pet? You never know what might happen. She could get bitten by a snake tomorrow!

So how do you relax and get on with things knowing that your pet is so sick? Although right now she is doing zoomies around the garden with Poppy!

Jules, Ollie was dxd with MCT grade 2 and given 12-18 months back in 2005...

At first and probably for the first 3 years I was so worried about losing him and I used to take him to the vet at every tiny sign of illness or hiccup.. Admittedly I have been overly blessed to have had him this long and it is nothing short of a miracle.

I guess after a while, you just appreciate the fact that they are not in pain, still want a play or walk (even if it is only for a few minutes) and just enjoy the time you have..

Make the most of the time you have with them and try not to dwell on the fact that they could leave you at any moment.

I feel like Emma was just snatched from me with no warning. Realistically there probably were a few warnings that I ahd noticed in the week or so before I lost her.

But after she struggled through her bout of pneumonia and then hyperglycaemia in April I made it my priority that she just got to do everything she loved and had everything she wanted (within reason for a diabetic!!). At least then I knew if it was the last time, she loved the last time!!! So we always went for our walk if that's what she wanted, she came and hung out at the dog club and at agility even though she couldn't participate, we visited everyone who lovd her or they came to see her, she came everywhere with me she was allowed to.

So at least when I had to make the decision on the spot to have her PTS I knew she hadn't missed out on a single thing. Really it's probably how we should all be trying to live our lives every day, you never know when things will change in the blink of an eye.

Do your best to carry on as per usual but with a few special extra things!!

My husky boy, Whitey was diagnosed with an immune disease back in Sept last year. I knew every day I had with him was precious and knew in my heart our time was limited.

We had our rollercoaster ride of ups and downs along the way, but he fought so hard & battled on and wanted nothing more - than to live. :( He lasted 9 mths after first being diagnosed. :(

I am grateful for that extra 9 months I had with him. I don't think we'd ever been closer to be honest. I took lots and lots of pics, because I knew everyday could of been our very last.

Enjoy your girl and every day you have with her.

Really it's probably how we should all be trying to live our lives every day, you never know when things will change in the blink of an eye.

Do your best to carry on as per usual but with a few special extra things!!

That is so true, Pretty Miss Emma - such a good reminder.

Good thoughts coming your way, JulesP, and everyone else dealing with this sort of situation. Giving my two extra cuddles.

How is Amber going JulesP?

Hopefully as well as possible, and hope that you've been having some nice time together.

Thanks for asking Pretty Miss Emma.

Amber is going pretty well. Heaps of energy, eating and putting weight on. She still has some fluid in her belly.

The change in her eating is amazing. She is nearly knocking the door down now at dinner times. She used to eat in a very depressed manner. Poppy thinks the 6 meals a day are pretty good too!

I am quite anxious about her still. This morning I could only hear Poppy so was thinking the worst.

JulesP, Very sorry to hear Amber is so unwell. It's extremely hard having a loved family member being unwell and there is nothing you can do but sit back and watch.

Ivy still isn't out of the woods as she goes in and out of energy and she has been diagnosed with a serious Bowel Disease and also has moments where she is that down and out I think she is giving up on me.

Not long ago I managed to get her to a trial we did very well but she could only perform in the morning as she just about collapses in the afternoon, I wont push her and now just try and let her be happy and love her for all the issues she is.

Our Vet misdiagnosed her which wasted so much time but I do understand where you are coming from and your never really out of the woods until the next problem comes along.

This week is her down week where she can't keep food down or it just runs out. But I do keep saying she is ok even tho I know she isn't I need to keep that hope up.

Hugs to you JulesP.

• 3 weeks later...

Amber isn't great at the moment :( She stopped eating at the beginning of the week and was looking depressed again. Last night she had a fit (walking strangely and muscle tremors). She ate well today but has been having tremors today. The tremors and fits are caused by ammonia getting into her brain. I've got her back on antibiotics and hopefully I can get her stable again.

She is still bright but very sooky and worried looking.

• 2 months later...

Hugs Jessca. Thanks for thinking about us.

Amber is going pretty well. She has put a fair bit of weight on and appears 'normal'. It is taking pretty careful management and I have to adjust her food and medication depending on what is happening with her. Pretty amazing how well a dog can cope with half a liver that isn't working properly!