Have You Met Any Papillons?

Henrietta

Just seeing what your impressions were of this breed. I have heard they can be 'yappy'. How yappy is yappy? I have a Chi x who I would describe as yappy - she has her moments. But her reactivity levels do go down when she is tired (or in other words, well exercised in mind and body). ;)

What temperaments have you noticed with Papillons? Do they seem quite well-adjusted little dogs? Do you remember where you met them - dog show, training/trial or just out and about? Are they quite people focussed or more independent? And DA tendencies at all?

Most of the Paps I've met have been sports or show dogs.

Lively, pretty, smart as whips and yes, yappy. Never seen any indication of aggession but I honestly think they're a bit too much dog to sit at home and do nothing.

They need regular exercise and training IMO to be content. They also need owners who are smarter than they are and some.... well they aren't.

Maybe they should be moved to Group 5. ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Most of the Paps I've met have been sports or show dogs.

Lively, pretty, smart as whips and yes, yappy. Never seen any indication of aggession but I honestly think they're a bit too much dog to sit at home and do nothing.

They need regular exercise and training IMO to be content. Maybe they should be moved to Group 5. ;)

Mmm... that's kind of what I'm looking to do in the future - obedience, agility and perhaps whatever else comes my way (I wonder how much grooming to get a pap looking awesome for the showring?) I dabble at the moment, but don't compete with my current girl. Abby gets daily walks/outings and training, but whether it'd be enough for a pap? We'd have to go meet some. I always said Group 5 is not an option. :laugh:

Edit - My experiences with Abby have made me smarter. 'Cos I was pretty dumb. Oops, she hasn't made me any better at constructing a sentence though.

Edited by Henrietta

I have met 6.

Two of them are the most excruciatingly irritating yappers ever produced - but I actually think this is the fault of the owner, the first one was yappy then the second one came along and is worse. They lunge at the end of their lead and yap and yap - one was tethered alongside an agility ring the other week while the owner ran the other :eek: It was terrorising every passing dog

Two others are great andvery lovable (one is now RIP but he was a lovely old man) and I don't recall them being yappy. The old boy used to run around and chase the tennis ball with the big dogs down at the park.

One other is trialling in agility here and he is brilliant - a very clever boy who isn't yappy that I can recall.

I definitely agree with PF's post. They are very very smart little dogs who appreciate a job to do. I don't recall any of them being aggressive.

I met my first at obedience many years ago. His owner was a 8 year old girl who had to save up her pocket money to pay for half the dog (she was pedigree, from a good breeder) and her parents paid the other half. Part of the deal was that she had to attend obedience classes with the dog and she (little girl) had to do all the looking after and training of the dog. I have to say the little dog was awesome and the little girl certainly kept up her part of the deal. She was at training every week and was a hell of a lot better than most of the adults that used to turn up. They were a great little team and went on to compete in obedience and agility.

Henrietta, if you are looking towards little sports dogs, I'd suggest you look at Paps, Poodles and CKCS's.

There's a lady locally who breedes cracking drivey Cavs.. awesome little dogs. :) I'm not generally a fan of Cavs but I'd have one of hers.

Edited by poodlefan

That's a nice story, Dobesrock. Sounds like a great partnership.

I'd actually consider a Cav, but was worried about drive among other things. Nice to know that drivey Cavs are out there. Poodles have also been on the list for some time, size-wise I'm leaning toward the toy over the mini but temperament wise I'm not as sure. I feel that I would enjoy the liveliness of the Pap and the poodles.

I'd actually consider a Cav, but was worried about drive among other things. Nice to know that drivey Cavs are out there. Poodles have also been on the list for some time, size-wise I'm leaning toward the toy over the mini but temperament wise I'm not as sure. I feel that I would enjoy the liveliness of the Pap and the poodles.

Toy Poodles are tough drivey little buggers generally - often more go than the Minis. Often more vocal than the minis too. ;)

I prefer more spunky dogs too. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Oh Cavs have the drive and do wonderfully at obedience and agility.

Of course you have to watch those patellars, but the same goes for Poodles and Paps.

I think the problem with Cavs is too many owners allow them to get fat.

They are very economical to run LOL

Also very obliging little dogs, if you're up for something they are in it...if it's a long walk OR even if it's just watching TV!

Re Paps, most I see at Shows are very well behaved dogs, they certainly are one of the smartest of the small breeds and the owner certainly needs to keep them stimulated.

I think alot of the "Yappiness" you see at the Agility level is sheer excitment. I think if delt with correctly in the young dog should easily be curbed to be tolerable.

Even CKCS get excited about the fun things we are going to do.

I have met only a few. :D :p

They can be quite drivey and most I have met are on the yappy side, however there are of course differences.

Blaze hardly ever speaks a word, Tyson is fairly quiet, however Minka and Coco let you know if you haven't paid enough attention to them!

Not in their nature to be aggressive. Having two 7 month old puppies that sometimes sounds like they're trying to kill each other is something you get used to when you know it's just play!

I have met 6.

Two of them are the most excruciatingly irritating yappers ever produced - but I actually think this is the fault of the owner, the first one was yappy then the second one came along and is worse. They lunge at the end of their lead and yap and yap - one was tethered alongside an agility ring the other week while the owner ran the other :eek: It was terrorising every passing dog

You forgot to mention the 10 foot lead it was on eek1.gif

What about a mini schnauzer? They are feisty little things! Will be starting agility training with one shortly :)

I have met only a few. :D :p

They can be quite drivey and most I have met are on the yappy side, however there are of course differences.

Blaze hardly ever speaks a word, Tyson is fairly quiet, however Minka and Coco let you know if you haven't paid enough attention to them!

Not in their nature to be aggressive. Having two 7 month old puppies that sometimes sounds like they're trying to kill each other is something you get used to when you know it's just play!

I have not met a aggressive one yet over the many many years of being around dogs, yappy, yes but most of these was because they were very excited :D

ok Paptacular you are being Byist,:laugh: but then again so am I, both of us being owner/breeders :laugh:

We do Obedience & Agility with our 3, oh boy they are very cunning & smart, they do aim to please you :laugh:

The best clowns to have around :rofl: