Personality Change After Castration

Remarkabull

A few weeks ago I had Barkley (almost 3 yr old Malt x Shih Tzu) castrated and I've really noticed a major change in his personality. He has always been a very affectionate and loving dog and is especially attached to me (a bit too much probably) and although he has always been good with other dogs he has never really been interested in playing with them or really any kind of play including with us people. Since he was castrated I've noticed that he is becoming very playful and energetic. He has even started to pick up the other dogs toys and do zoomies around the yard, growling and shaking the toy with glee. He has even started to play tug with the other dogs and is just in general becoming more cheeky and naughty! I came home today to find one of the kids merit certificates from school ripped up on the lounge and have also noticed on other days that my shoes will be in the loungeroom or any of my clothes that were within his reach have been dragged to different parts of the house.

I know that there can be a difference in personality after castrating or speying a dog but isn't it supposed to make them quiet and lazy not turn them in to little rat bags :confused::)

Has anyone else experienced a change like this?

I think a lot depends on the dog prior to castration and how much a victim of his testosterone he was. Our first Aussie Terrier wasn't neutered until about two and a half years of age. He was a dominant, feisty little blighter before the procedure and mellowed considerably afterwards. He became a lot more affectionate and not quite as "driven" for the want of a better word. Poor Spike always saw the world as a challenge when entire and was a real handful - eg not dog friendly or people friendly without being aggressive. Not a happy dog. This changed for the better and he was much happier in general.

Oliver, new Aussie, was castrated at just under 6 months. He was a charming puppy before the snip and has remained just as sweet. Dog and people friendly and quite a cheerful dog. I can't speak for large dogs as mine have all stayed entire all their lives.

I know that there can be a difference in personality after castrating or speying a dog but isn't it supposed to make them quiet and lazy not turn them in to little rat bags

No it shouldn't make them lazy or quiet that is what people presume & is very wrong,sounds like a normal dog

I've had a lot of his type of dog here and he's perfectly normal. They are quite busy and playful types, indeed my rescued ancient Maltese male will still wait until I'm changing shoes to grab one as his prize and take off round the house with it. He'll still tear up magazines if they are within his reach, and tissues galore - used or clean.

He's been a revelation as I didn't expect that from one as old as him but castration at a late age didn't stop him from wanting to mark the odd bit of territory within the house ...

It could be worse!

At your dog's age, he should be walked for up to an hour every day!

Edited by dogmad

I know that there can be a difference in personality after castrating or speying a dog but isn't it supposed to make them quiet and lazy not turn them in to little rat bags

No it shouldn't make them lazy or quiet that is what people presume & is very wrong,sounds like a normal dog

I know that the above is a bit of a myth and that each dog is individual but this is not behavior that he has ever displayed prior to castration. There have been no other changes to his environment or routine and he is fully mature at almost 3 years old so I thought it had to be related to de-sexing in some way. Personally I have never had a dog 'get lazy or fat' after being speyed or neutered but I do believe that it can and does 'mellow' some dogs and this change is completely at odds with what is going on here.

Anyway, it's a good change (I think, depends on how destructive he gets ;) ) He was always a strange dog so it's kind of nice to see some normal, playful behaviors from him.

I know they say that castration does not affect a dogs behaviour but i saw a completely change with my pup afterwards.

Before he got the snip, his energy levels were FULL ON 24/7. He would have this uncontrollable 'zoomies' time of the day at about 6pm and just run around the house like a complete mad man for about half an hour. Since we got him fixed, he hasn't done this once and we haven't exercised him any more or less..

It does sound unusual to me - I have known plenty of dogs who have been demonstrably less energetic after desexing, but never one that was more so.

Additionally, of course I couldn't be sure for dogs, but I know that in the case of humans, eunuchs can still experience sexual frustration if castrated after puberty - they just can't do anything about it.

My 15 month old bullmastiff has had to have the suprelorin implant (chemical castration) for medical reasons 5 weeks ago. I miss the old him. He is heaps quieter and lazier and gets spooked easier (its only minor but he would never have done it prior to the Implant and I have read that castration chemical or otherwise can make dogs nervy). He used to be bouncy, full of life and excited to meet everyone, but now he is just a bit ho hum about it all, Im really disappointed because he had the best personality prior to implant. Thankfully its only temporary, cant wait to have my boy back.

I'd be acting a bit differently if somebody cut my testicles off lol

But seriously, what was your motivation for desexing? Was it to avoid pregnancy? All my dogs have always been entire, its just my preference.

I chose to have him desexed because we are getting a Dobermann bitch early next year and if she turns out nicely she will remain entire for at least a few years and as our male Dobe is still entire (he will have the implant when she arrives so no hanky panky between them) I felt it would be one less silly male to deal with when she comes in to season.

I also usually keep my dogs entire but I'm trying to lessen the testosterone in the pack before introducing an entire female, thereby hopefully avoiding any 'issues' between the 2 boys.

I'd be acting a bit differently if somebody cut my testicles off lol

But seriously, what was your motivation for desexing? Was it to avoid pregnancy? All my dogs have always been entire, its just my preference.

I chose to have him desexed because we are getting a Dobermann bitch early next year and if she turns out nicely she will remain entire for at least a few years and as our male Dobe is still entire (he will have the implant when she arrives so no hanky panky between them) I felt it would be one less silly male to deal with when she comes in to season.

I also usually keep my dogs entire but I'm trying to lessen the testosterone in the pack before introducing an entire female, thereby hopefully avoiding any 'issues' between the 2 boys.

I think this is very much a breed decision. Some breeds, like Irish Wolfhounds, are not ruled by their gonads and can remain entire without issue. I've had up to 3 entire males sharing a house with some used for stud with no conflict.Some terriers, for example, are very much victim to their testosterone level with accompaning aggro, marking and continual assertion of dominance. Like many questions on this forum, there is no "one size fits all" answer.

As someone with their own dogs, all desexed, who brings home pound dogs and then gets them to the vets, I've had a few odd occasions where the dog I've collected from the pound has come on heat. This has not been a problem with some of my dogs but it has caused two of the desexed males to scrap a bit. If you have an entire male Dobe and a small dog, you'll possibly need to take precautions when the bitch comes on heat.