Black Hawk Holistic

Hi everyone, this is probably a stupid question, but I need to ask it just to make sure.

After reading the Black Hawk holistic dog food thread, & reading all the positive reviews, I am very interested in trying it with my lot. I have been looking at switching them onto a better premium food for a while & Black Hawk sounds fantastic for quality & price. :)

I do have one query about it though...I have noticed that one of the ingredients is Dried brewers yeast,& was wondering if this would be harmful to a dog with recurring yeast infections in her ears.

My 14 year old Aussie terrier x JRT Jessie has had this ongoing problem since she was 9, her ears have been flushed out several times & we are curently managing her condition with drops, although theres the possibility that she might need surgery to get her ear canals removed, which due to her age we would really like to avoid.

She is currently been fed a 50/50 raw & Advance turkey & rice dry food, we would still feed her the raw but, wan't to change the kibble to a better quality.

Would the Black Hawk Holistic be safe to feed to her? or should I try something different like Canidae or Artemis?

Thanks in advance everyone

Nicole

Hi everyone, this is probably a stupid question, but I need to ask it just to make sure.

After reading the Black Hawk holistic dog food thread, & reading all the positive reviews, I am very interested in trying it with my lot. I have been looking at switching them onto a better premium food for a while & Black Hawk sounds fantastic for quality & price. :)

I do have one query about it though...I have noticed that one of the ingredients is Dried brewers yeast,& was wondering if this would be harmful to a dog with recurring yeast infections in her ears.

My 14 year old Aussie terrier x JRT Jessie has had this ongoing problem since she was 9, her ears have been flushed out several times & we are curently managing her condition with drops, although theres the possibility that she might need surgery to get her ear canals removed, which due to her age we would really like to avoid.

She is currently been fed a 50/50 raw & Advance turkey & rice dry food, we would still feed her the raw but, wan't to change the kibble to a better quality.

Would the Black Hawk Holistic be safe to feed to her? or should I try something different like Canidae or Artemis?

Nicole

Why not contact Sherel direct if you have any concerns. You can find her contact on her web page.

Guest english.ivy

Nicole

Why not contact Sherel direct if you have any concerns. You can find her contact on her web page.

Great idea and then you'll be sure to get the correct information :) I think any BH questions should be sent direct to Sherel from now on. It's her job.

I would try something grain free. Or if you have the time try BARF. I've had dogs with problem ears before and the BARF has really helped, although it doesn't suit all dogs. I know a lot of people on here have great success with Canidae but I haven't tried it personally.

talk to your vet!!

I agree, but I'm hard pushed to find a vet who believes diet has anything to do with yeasty ears. :( You're right though vet should always be first call, but a bit of research on the side is a good thing.

Edited by Clyde

I would try something grain free. Or if you have the time try BARF. I've had dogs with problem ears before and the BARF has really helped, although it doesn't suit all dogs. I know a lot of people on here have great success with Canidae but I haven't tried it personally.

talk to your vet!!

I agree, but I'm hard pushed to find a vet who believes diet has anything to do with yeasty ears. :( You're right though vet should always be first call, but a bit of research on the side is a good thing.

Talk to Dr Barbara Fougere in Sydney then Clyde.. :)

Fastest way I know of to improve yeast issues for a lot of dogs is stop feeding gluten. I don't think BH has any. Rice doesn't seem to produce the same reactions.

I found the only thing that prevented yeast infections for rottie was a raw diet with NO wheat sources or ingredients at all, or RC Maxi adult (only that one type)

But high grain content, biscuits, treats etc all make it come back in no time. All he needs to pinch is one Salada and we're back to stinking reeking ears.

Crikey, don't talk to the dog food people, talk to your vet!!

Even a cursory google suggests that feeding brewers yeast to a dog prone to yeast infections may not be a good idea - it can promote further yeast growth.

That's what I found when I did a google search PF, which is why I have concerns for the Brewers yeast in the BH.

I have contacted Sherel & she is sending me a sample of BH which I'm going to try with my 3 other dogs.

I've decided not to give Jessie any of it, I just don't want to risk it.

I've decided to get a sample of Canidae (the no grain one ) & try her with that instead. :)

talk to your vet!!

My vet doesn't believe diet & yeasty ears are related...She is against feeding raw & told me to feed Jessie Advance Turkey & rice, which hasn't really helped her at all. So unfortunately I don't have much faith in her for feeding advice. :(

Edited by Baileys mum

Hi Bailey's Mum

As we all know not every formula will suit every dog, and l am happy to work with people for the better health of the animal. Regardless if BlackHawk suits them or not

About 8 months ago l met a lovely elderly couple, they owned a 13yo Labrador and they adored her,they had been feeding her BlackHawk for a month when l met them. All her life she had scratched and it had got to the stage where she would scratch till she bled 3 vets advised them it was time to Put her to sleep, BlackHawk had improved her condition, On this delivery i spent over half an hour going through what she had been fed her whole life, what they bathed her in where she slept what plants they had etc etc, nothing made sense why this girl would be scratching,they had done the best by her all her life, eventually l said to them we are missing something, i asked what treats they gave her, their jaws dropped they looked at one another and said Oh we never thought about them, she has been getting 10 Goodo a day all her life, that was it from that day on she has never had another goodo, and she no longer scratches, and she is still here, So what l am trying to say is, its not always the main meal they are fed that can casue an issue like Nehbet said her Rotti only needs to steal a Salada biscuit,

Here is a lovely letter i recieved from another lady, who doesnt live far maybe (10-15 minutes from you Baileys Mum)

Ear problems have vanished...

TO whom it may concern,

I own 2 dogs, 1 is an Australian Labradoodle who had constant ear problems, which I mentioned on Facebook after her last visit to the vet early this year.

Sherel read my post on facebook and contacted me to ask what diet I did have my dog on, which was prepared dog meat rolls and a well advertised brand of dry dog food from the supermarket.

She explained that there are certain products that are not good for dogs and can cause yeast build ups especially in ears and I and the dogs would be better off on a diet of the holistic lamb and rice dry dog food and raw chicken mince.

As I was not sure whether my dogs would like the dry dog food, Sherel arranged for a sample to be given to me to try. After my dog’s approval, I contacted Sherel to arrange to purchase a bag. Sherel offered to drop off to my home and meet my dogs.

Whilst dropping off the product Sherel met my Alaskan Malamute, who has always had a skin complaint which made her stomach skin look like black elephant skin, she would constantly lick at it. I have had different medicated washes but none seemed to ease or settle the complaint. Sherel suggested that with her diet also changing this may well help ease the malamute’s problem.

Since changing both my dog’s to Black Hawk Holistic Lamb & Rice dry dog food, I have noticed fantastic results, the Australian Labradoodle has not had a re-occurrence of her ear problem and the Alaskan malamute has finally gotten normal skin returning to her stomach and even hair is starting to regrow. Her actual coat is also looking healthier. The malamute does still lick now and then but nothing like she used to, all these changes I put down to the change of diet and Sherel’s knowledge for what is good for dogs and willingness to help both owners and dogs.

I thank Sherel for contacting me and letting me know about this wonderful AUSTRALIAN MADE product, but I think my dogs thank her even more!!

Regards

Jane Richards, “Goldie” and “Cher”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another lovely letter

Fussy eater, no more...

My name is Sue Armstong and as well as having eight dogs of my own I’m involved with Shar Pei Rescue Inc (SPR Inc).

Amanda Booth, who is President of SPR Inc told me about Black Hawk Holistic Dogfood. She had been given some to trial by Sherel and her vet was commenting on how well her dogs were looking and also at the wonderful condition of their coats.

I was curious as I was feeding my crew on a super premium food which was very expensive and a couple of my Shar Pei were still itchy.

Sherel kindly sent me up a sample bag to try. Well, what can I say!!!

My crew took to it like ducks to water. One of my female Pei who is so incredibly fussy with her food that it’s hard to get her to finish a meal without lots of meat bribes now downs nearly two cups of Black Hawk Holistic without any additives each meal without fail. To say I was impressed would be an understatement!!

Having now had my two Newfoundlands, five Shar Pei (three are rescue) and little white fluffy on Black Hawk Holistic for what must be close to two months or longer I have to say their coats are looking fabulous, no one itches anymore and their output has halved making ‘poo patrol’ so much easier and quicker!! None of them ever leave any anymore either J

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Sherel for sharing those lovely stories. :)

I was thinking that when I receive my sample that it wouldn't do any harm to just give Jessie a bit of it & see how she goes.If it doesn't work out, then I always have the option of trying her with the Canidae.

I'm very excited to try all my dogs with BH & I'm hoping they all love it & do well on it. It would be a bonus if Jessie does well on it too. :)

As for giving Jessie treats, I'm pretty careful with what I give her these days. She gets the occassional Pigs ear & liver treats. She does love smackos, but I no longer give them to her anymore.

I found the only thing that prevented yeast infections for rottie was a raw diet with NO wheat sources or ingredients at all, or RC Maxi adult (only that one type)

But high grain content, biscuits, treats etc all make it come back in no time. All he needs to pinch is one Salada and we're back to stinking reeking ears.

I have done the same with my newfie and it is amazing how small the amount of wheat has to be, for there to be a problem again

Sherel read my post on facebook and contacted me to ask what diet I did have my dog on, which was prepared dog meat rolls and a well advertised brand of dry dog food from the supermarket.

Crikey, no bloody wonder the dogs were having issues!! :eek:

Dear poodlefan, yes, crikey, no bloody wonder the dogs were having issues!! But at least I, the owner of these 2 lovely dogs got pointed in the right direction by Sherel and away from all the marketing CRAP that is out there for people like me that are not quite as informed as yourself.

Regards,

Cherokee