Ticks

MyBoxerGirl

Just wanted to share that these little monsters are active at the moment. I pulled a Paralysis Tick off my sons scalp about an hour ago - he must have picked it up at school today :eek:.

I am off now to buy bulk Advantix and Preventic collars, so glad I changed to fortnightly treatments last month.

I had the dogs at the vets in Gloucester yesterday and they said they had seen multiple cases of paralysis ticks already!! :eek: They were happy to see that my dogs had tick collars on.

We haven't been in our current house for 12 months yet, so the collars are on as a "just in case", as we are not sure if there are ticks in the yard or not!!

I had my bullterrierx mutt in at the vet two weeks ago with a paralysis tick. He gets advantix fortnightly but still managed to get one on him. So make sure you check your dogs even if they are supposed to be covered.

This is NSW far South Coast.

Jut had my cat in the vet thanks to a par tick :( thank god there is tick stuff for dogs but wish there was some for cats.

Sorry about your kitty cat, hope they are okay. I've used Proban on cats before with great success.

Anyone have suggestions of a good place to get Advantix cheap online.

Or for that matter able to suggest a cheaper alternative? We use Advantix on our dogs for flea prevention however will be increasing it to fortnightly for the warmer months while the ticks are more active. Just burns a hole in your pocket.

Edited by deltoid

It is very expensive with the fortnightly application, especially if you have multiple dogs. Tick treatment however is waaayy more expensive; one of our dogs last year underwent tick treatment, it was $9k for 36 hours (mechanical respirator and round the clock care) and he died anyway.

It is very expensive with the fortnightly application, especially if you have multiple dogs. Tick treatment however is waaayy more expensive; one of our dogs last year underwent tick treatment, it was $9k for 36 hours (mechanical respirator and round the clock care) and he died anyway.

Yeah, we see it as a necessary evil, just hoping there was a cheaper way. At least our two are small dogs so they get the cheaper dose.

Anyone have suggestions of a good place to get Advantix cheap online.

Or for that matter able to suggest a cheaper alternative? We use Advantix on our dogs for flea prevention however will be increasing it to fortnightly for the warmer months while the ticks are more active. Just burns a hole in your pocket.

I buy the largest one possible & divide it up, so I can do both my dogs with the one dose.

Spinosad based insecticides may help keep ticks out of your yard. Try a google search. They were recommended to me for use in the vineyard to kill a certain moth pest. I notice that the stuff is supposed to be effective against ticks, and is safe with mammals, in general (organic growers can use it on grapes).

Permoxin, but I wash my dogs regularly so it wasn't much extra effort. Just make sure you don't miss one bit of the dog when pouring it, rubbing it all over.. I used this for years in a tick area when money was a bit tight.