Ukc Contact

geo

Have you emailed them Geo?

I will get onto Tybrax and see what she can do.

Yep i have emailed them, and sent them the link to the Voctorian Gazette publication that is being used by councils to enact this search and destroy of anything resembling a pitbull.

But please send more info!! if anyone has any!

The UKC legal counsel contact details are [email protected]

It seems the Victorian standard has just been copied from the UKC standard which is not to be used for breed ID.

I doubt you'll get anywhere with this line. Looking at the two documents (Vic Breed Standard and UKC Standard), I'd say one was modeled after the other, but not copied from it. The 'climbing ability' part comes from the US version, but isn't copied word for word. The head description borrows more from the US version, but again, changes some words.

Vic Standard

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium sized dog and is strongly built with well defined muscles. The breed is noted for its climbing ability and subsequent strength in its hindquarters.

The overall outline of the breed indicates it to be slightly longer in length (point of shoulder to buttocks) than height (withers to ground). Bitches may be slightly longer than males.

A distance from withers to the elbow and the elbow to the ground is generally equal.

The head is proportionate to the dog. Viewed from above, the general shape of the head is that of a blunt wedge, large and broad.

Viewed from the side, the skull and muzzle are on parallel plains separated by a moderately deep stop. Arches over the eyes are well defined but not pronounced (refer figure 3).

Here's the first para of the UK Standard

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium-sized, solidly built, short-coated dog with smooth, well-defined musculature. This breed is both powerful and athletic. The body is just slightly longer than tall, but bitches may be somewhat longer in body than dogs. The length of the front leg (measured from point of elbow to the ground) is approximately equal to one-half of the dog’s height at the withers. The head is of medium length, with a broad, flat skull, and a wide, deep muzzle. Ears are small to medium in size, high set, and may be natural or cropped. The relatively short tail is set low, thick at the base and tapers to a point. The American Pit Bull Terrier comes in all colors and color patterns except merle. This breed combines strength and athleticism with grace and agility and should never appear bulky or muscle-bound or fine-boned and rangy. Above all else, the APBT must have the functional capability to be a catch dog that can hold, wrestle (push and pull) and breathe easily while doing its job. Balance and harmony of all parts are critical components of breed type.

and the US Standard

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a medium-sized, solidly built, short-coated dog with smooth, well-defined musculature. This breed is both powerful and athletic. The body is just slightly longer than tall, but bitches may be somewhat longer in body than dogs. The length of the front leg (measured from point of elbow to the ground) is approximately equal to one-half of the dog's height at the withers. The head is of medium length, with a broad, flat skull, and a wide, deep muzzle. Ears are small to medium in size, high set, and may be natural or cropped. The relatively short tail is set low, thick at the base and tapers to a point. The American Pit Bull Terrier comes in all colors and color patterns. This breed combines strength and athleticism with grace and agility and should never appear bulky or muscle-bound or fine-boned and rangy.

It should still be considered plagiarism if they used parts of it and changed the words

I must have marked >10,000 papers in my career as a University lecturer (I'm retired now). If I used the standard you propose, half the papers I marked would have been considered plagiarism. If the Vic stardard were a university paper, I would have given a warning that sources need to be acknowledged, and the text is running close to the source. I might even have said that non-acknowledgement can be considered plagiarism. But the University officialdom would not have been pleased if a formal charge of plagiarism were brought . . . trying to enforce such a standard would have swamped the system. You may get further in trying to trace the diagrams, which may be taken from a copyrighted source and may infringe on copyright law. (By the pathetically low standards demanded by some Australian Universities, this would have gotten 65 to 75% as a paper . . . it borrowed from at least three sources and bothered to cut some figures into the text in a way that showed some understanding of the concepts under discussion. Grammar and punctuation are generally ok.)

The authors of the legislation were in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If they improvised too much and showed original thought, as we encourage students to do, they would have gotten blasted for making things up.