Lure Coursing In Adelaide - For Non-greyhounds

jacqui835

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the title says it's for non-greyhounds... does just mean racing greyhounds? Or are older greying grehounds included in that too? :o I think Kiya would love it but I wouldn't want to get in the way.. We could make most Saturdays but couldn't get there on a Sunday.

I can't see why you couldn't run a greyhound... it's where the greyhounds regularily run for training. The not-greyhounds tend to turn around at the end and sprint back to their owners.

But - some people think allowing a re-trained greyhound to run a lure course undoes all that training not to chase SWF and etc. So you might ask the GAP people about it first.

I can't see why you couldn't run a greyhound... it's where the greyhounds regularily run for training. The not-greyhounds tend to turn around at the end and sprint back to their owners.

But - some people think allowing a re-trained greyhound to run a lure course undoes all that training not to chase SWF and etc. So you might ask the GAP people about it first.

Greyhounds are Greyhounds to the day they die, the instinct is always there and just because they chase a lure does not mean they suddenly want to chase SWF etc. Really, GAP greys are not re-trained to not chase. They are educated to live in houses etc. And people are taught how to manage their dogs drive. My ex race dog would chase anything that moved if he could including paper blowing down the street and then come home and happily curl up on the couch with the cat.

Just spoke to Trevor - he will get back to me early next week with some dates - probably a Saturday about 10.30 :)

Will post as soon as he confirms dates.

YAYYYY!!!! Pele wants to go racing!!! :D

Greyhounds are Greyhounds to the day they die, the instinct is always there and just because they chase a lure does not mean they suddenly want to chase SWF etc. Really, GAP greys are not re-trained to not chase. They are educated to live in houses etc. And people are taught how to manage their dogs drive. My ex race dog would chase anything that moved if he could including paper blowing down the street and then come home and happily curl up on the couch with the cat.

Thanks for that information Rebanne :)

I'm not sure I will even be able to get her to bother with chasing the lure, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't upset other people by bringing a greyhound when the thread title says non-greyhounds.

I know the title says it's for non-greyhounds... does just mean racing greyhounds? Or are older greying grehounds included in that too? :o I think Kiya would love it but I wouldn't want to get in the way.. We could make most Saturdays but couldn't get there on a Sunday.

I'm not sure I will even be able to get her to bother with chasing the lure, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't upset other people by bringing a greyhound when the thread title says non-greyhounds.

Hi Lisa,

It's a fun day out for everyone :) The day we went we had Saluki's, husky (which ran the wrong way :laugh: ), kelpie, dobermann, 3-legged Belgian Shepherd, my Bull Terrier and the star was "Earl", the Bloodhound (he was soooo funny, just don't put your money on him!) We all had a great time laughing at the doggies having a great time :) Bring Kiya along, she'll love it :)

I agree with Bully - Kiya will enjoy the outing if nothing else.

Rosie was in her element - Earl was hysterically funny (as was Pele) and the salukis were so graceful :)

Trevor seems pretty confident we can arrange a couple of Saturdays for us - they apparently have a meeting tomorrow :)

I agree with Bully - Kiya will enjoy the outing if nothing else.

Rosie was in her element - Earl was hysterically funny (as was Pele) and the salukis were so graceful :)

Trevor seems pretty confident we can arrange a couple of Saturdays for us - they apparently have a meeting tomorrow :)

Page 9 post #122 Pele and Earl pics :rofl: