How Do You Know When The Time Is Right

nattiej1976

I was tossing up starting a thread like this also as I'm in the same headspace. I lost my girl a 14 year old black lab names Sheba in July. She was such a huge part of my life, she had cancer so my whole life had been revolving around her. Although she wasnt sick for a long time only 3 months she became eeven more dependent on me than ever before and then nothing but a huge void in my life. I don't have another dog at the moment so I now have more free time than ever before and I hate it, I loved looking after my girl.

I am too tossing up if getting a new lab is the right thing to do, I am currently waiting to see if a particular breeder has any little black girl labs. I guess if she does than it's meant to be but I can help thinking how my lat lab would have reacted if I ever brought home another dog. But I so hate coming home to an empty house with no waggy tail or head to pat.

But yes I'm suming up it's very very hard, every day is a struggle.

This is what is driving me bonkers too. i still have my cats, and they are both special and lovely cats and i love them lots, but im madly missing the presence of a dog. The cats are friendly and all, but there is something about a dog, that lives for you and your company, that wants only you

I think once you can say that no dog is a truly a replacement for another, you know you're ready.

Its not disloyal to the memory of your lost dog to want to share your life with another. Indeed, if the experience with your lost dog was wonderful, it kind of honours that to get another I think.

I also think its easier when you have more than one dog..

Edited by poodlefan

It truly is an enormous void. It's such punishment that animals don't live as long as us. My aunt has a dog, it's even another lab but to pat her compared to my girl it's horrible to say but I don't feel anything. My girl just made your day better no matter how much of a shocker you had.

My Daisy went in Feb this year, and I never wanted another dog...but two months later Matilda came to be with us. I found that 'researching' what kind of breed we would like did help with the grieving, and Tilly is totally different to Daisy in personality, breed, everything. I have to say though, I still have a cry that my Daisy isn't here anymore.

Funny thing though, Daisy had her spot in the house where she slept all the time, but Tilly won't sleep or even lay there. I think Daisy is still with us.

nattiej - so much collective wisdom here - and so much sharing of the experience of losing beloved dogs - gently or suddenly.

A couple of things rang a bell for me - "dogs find us" -

Sometimes things just slide into place and you will find the perfect dog may not be exactly where you were looking, or maybe shows up sooner than you thought.

and I so agree with poodlefan (again!!!)

Its not disloyal to the memory of your lost dog to want to share your life with another. Indeed, if the experience with your lost dog was wonderful, it kind of honours that to get another I think.

This has been my experience - and as long as the 6 month old boy checks out, he sould be just the one youve been waiting for. Good luck :)