Unable To Keep Dog Thats Under A Contract

pinkpuppy

Hi guys, we bought a bitch from a breeder a few months ago. We bought here agreeing to return her for a litter etc which we were happy with but one of the other things that was on the signed agreement was that if we were unable to keep this girl we would have to return her to the breeder free of charge. We never thought we would have to consider re-homing her, as we do now due to unforeseen circumstances, but we paid $2500 and I don't think its fair that she should be returned to her breeder free of charge, especially when she can then breed her. I don't want to create problems but she was a very expensive dog, we paid good money for her and think if the breeder doesn't want to buy her back we should be at least able to sell her and get the breeder to sign a new agreement with the new owners. Do you think this is fair?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm....funny how breeders get all the rights.

I have complaints from my neighbors because of this dog barking alllll the time, she has destroyed my backyard aswell....how can I know this was going to happen???

Edited by pinkpuppy

You both get the rights you agreed to when you signed the contract. That's how contracts work. If you didn't like the terms, you shouldn't have signed the contract. No one was holding a gun to your head (I hope!)

I think that you should have thought about this before you signed the contract.

Agreed

I have complaints from my neighbors because of this dog barking alllll the time, she has destroyed my backyard aswell....how can I know this was going to happen???

Well...have you done any training with this dog? how old is she? is it possible she is still just being a puppy?

Lesson learned, read fine print, and don't assume life will always be rosie

maybe you should consider training the puppy. Again, you were happy to sign the contract orginally.

You signed the contact and now you have to live by it.

:laugh: we will see

It's hardly a laughing matter and the breeder could easily take you to the small claims court.

well I outright own the dog, so I don't see how she would have a say in anything, I will speak to my lawyer and see what they say

You signed the contract. You GAVE the breeder the rights. No point in complaining about it now.

Dogs barking and destroying backyards aren't that uncommon.. . and there's a fair bit you can do about it.

How much exercise does this dog get on a daily basis. How much training?

I can tell you for sure that you're likely to spend more than the purchase price of the dog in legal fees trying to get out of a contract that you signed and are committed to.

Why not try to solve the issues with the dog?

Edited by poodlefan

You signed the contract. You GAVE the breeder the rights. No point in complaining about it now.

Dogs barking and destroying backyards aren't that uncommon.. . and there's a fair bit you can do about it.

How much exercise does this dog get on a daily basis. How much training?

she goes free running about 3 times a week, gets walked every other day.

What are you doing that the dog is barking all the time? And destroying your yard? This is generally the behaviour of a puppy not getting the attention and training needed.

As for breeders having "all the rights", this has come about from too many puppy purchasers showing tepid commitment to their dog with the end result of untrained pups being placed in unacceptable situations.JMNSHO and I'd be happy for you to prove me wrong.

Lol, maybe at that price were you expecting her to come fully trained? Price tag means nothing to your dog.

Why don't you spend some time/ money training her?