Unable To Keep Dog Thats Under A Contract

pinkpuppy

out of curiosity, have you spoken to the breeder already? Just because it's in the contract, it doesn't mean that they will definitely stick to that. it might have been put in there so that you think twice before trying to give the dog back... but if you are reasonable and you have an amicable relationship, perhaps the breeder will give you some money back if you ask if it's possible. The breeder could just be trying to look out for the dogs best interests by ensuring she does go back to her, and not to some random that doesn't do their research and takes on a dog with issues, just like you did.

I hope that you do the right thing by the dog, and stop thinking about your hip pocket.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the money factor, if for whatever reason I (or my family) couldn't keep Moose I'd actually WANT him to go back to his breeder, someone who loves the breed and I trust would look after him well, not some stranger in the Trading Post that I don't know in the slightest. :eek:

Edited by moosepup

Besides the money factor, if for whatever reason I (or my family) couldn't keep Moose I'd actually WANT him to go back to his breeder, someone who loves the breed and I trust would look after him well, not some stranger in the Trading Post that I don't know in the skighest. :eek:

yeah same here!!:)

I wouldn't say you were attacked - but maybe you just didn't like what you read. Many of us have either entered into contracts, or have contracts done in order to protect our dogs and our lines. Coming here and asking a question about betraying a breeders trust by breaking a contract isn't really a nice thing to do, and I think you would have had disagreement regardless. Have you ever thought that the reason why the cost of the dog, or even the deposit, was so high, was because the breeder wanted to make sure the right person bought the dog, and the dog is incredibly valued for a breeding program?

Edited by SparkyTansy

PP you haven't been attacked. You may not like what has been written but trust me this is DOL playing nice. We love our dogs and I couldn't imagine someone who purports to be a registered breeder treating other breeders in this fashion. You've have come and made statements on a public forum and haven't even given the breeder the courtesy of a phone call to let them know there is a problem.

Be fair. Give her a call. Discuss the matter in a friendly manner and you may be surprised at the outcome. Coming in here and saying you intend to commence legal action when you haven't even given the breeder the opportunity to negotiate is pretty poor.

Just remember if you are a registered breeder then you want to hope and pray you don't get a puppy buyer who treats you in the manner you have treated this breeder.

PP you haven't been attacked. You may not like what has been written but trust me this is DOL playing nice. We love our dogs and I couldn't imagine someone who purports to be a registered breeder treating other breeders in this fashion. You've have come and made statements on a public forum and haven't even given the breeder the courtesy of a phone call to let them know there is a problem.

Be fair. Give her a call. Discuss the matter in a friendly manner and you may be surprised at the outcome. Coming in here and saying you intend to commence legal action when you haven't even given the breeder the opportunity to negotiate is pretty poor.

Just remember if you are a registered breeder then you want to hope and pray you don't get a puppy buyer who treats you in the manner you have treated this breeder.

:laugh: I havn't done anything wrong, I still have the dog but now I can't keep her; there is going to be alot more worse things happen in life!!...You speak like I have killed someone

Hi guys, we bought a bitch from a breeder a few months ago. We bought here agreeing to return her for a litter etc which we were happy with but one of the other things that was on the signed agreement was that if we were unable to keep this girl we would have to return her to the breeder free of charge. We never thought we would have to consider re-homing her, as we do now due to unforeseen circumstances, but we paid $2500 and I don't think its fair that she should be returned to her breeder free of charge, especially when she can then breed her. I don't want to create problems but she was a very expensive dog, we paid good money for her and think if the breeder doesn't want to buy her back we should be at least able to sell her and get the breeder to sign a new agreement with the new owners. Do you think this is fair?

You own her, you can do as you wish with her, the contract cannot be enforced.

Hopefully you'll rehome the dog desexed to the very best of homes if you're not going to return her to the breeder.

**sigh** If you can't see that there was a more appropriate way to approach this, then good luck!

all i was doing was checking if anyone else had this issue, and maybe got some ideas on ways to deal with it FIRST before contacting the breeder...there is nothing wrong with that. But i guess you all cant comment for her so will speak to her

funny how its about a different dog yet the dog was 2.5K with a 1.5K deposit :rofl: but we totally would not think its the same dog. oh thats right just on sell it in the trading post like you posted in the first one :eek:

i just had another thought. we got given a dog by a realative we called the breed contact was the same there was no refund for relative even when he was a pup.

also they could actually sue u for more then the pruchace price as there is a contract saying about a litter. thats money they can no longer get.

who is going to pay good money for an unruley young dog who needs alot of training. if you cared about this dog it would be back in the breeders arms. where she can put the work into makeing her a good dog. that is going to cost money

Edited by TsarsMum

PP , take a moment and put yourself in the breeders shoes . They work hard to research and dedicate themselves to a breed . Would you want your pup handed off to just anyone ??

Talk to them breeder , they may be reasonable - they may also be a bit pissed off at the situation , thinking they had placed the dog in a forever home . But the breeder deserves to know what happens to the dog.

Above all else - do the right thing by the dog . Don't take that as a attack on you , if your situation has changed so be it ( it happens I'm sure ) don't make the dog pay for it.

If I had a spare couple of thousand laying around I would offer to buy the dog just to get it out of there... :mad:banghead:

Unless someone held a gun to your head forcing to sign the contract then you should stick with it. You agreed to the terms and since your not prepared to keep up the agreement then at least do right by the dog and breeder and return it. Simple really.

Edited by Andisa