Cost To Desex Male Puppy

Zug Zug

I have been looking for a puppy and recently made contact with a breeder who is doing all the right things. Health tested parents, puppies that are being nurtured, microchipped, vaccinated and desexed before leaving for their new homes.

I got so excited, and then asked her several questions, including how much?

I nearly fell off my chair when she emailed me to say the puppy would cost $2200. This is for a desexed puppy on limited register. Not a common breed.

I have now picked myself up off the floor and thought - well it is a lot of money but let's break it down and try to work out how the cost is made up.

So a question I'm hoping someone can help me with - how much does it cost to desex a young male puppy (medium size breed)?

I was initially comparing the cost of this puppy with other puppies I've made enquiries about previously, but those did not include desexing. So I'm wondering how much of this additional cost is for the desexing to be done. And I would have done that at some stage in the first year anyway, so I'm thinking that's a good reason why this puppy would cost more. But the question is how much of the cost is due to this - ie. how much am I saving later on by getting a puppy that has already had this done.

Does anyone know?

Oh ok. Just a very expensive puppy then.

I am glad I asked - and thanks very much for your reply.

Side note:- I naively thought finding our next puppy would be easy, but I have been finding it very hard.

It has been a very long time since I've had a puppy. Well over a decade since my last puppy came home (he died recently aged 13 years). And my current girl I got from the pound and she was a young adult and already desexed etc but even that was over 10 years ago.

Dogs have got way more expensive in the past 10 years.

My vets only charge about $150 to desex a medium size male.

Have you asked around other breeders for prices to find out if this is a typical price the breed? Maybe it is or maybe this breeder is charging inflated prices. There are still plenty of breeds around $1000 or less from the best breeders who do all required health testing etc.

I haven't done that yet, but will build up a clearer idea as I ask about other litters I suppose.

I now realise the value of a puppy that was offered to me a few months back for $1000. But I wasn't ready at that stage, so declined. Different breed though.

I have contacted the breeder and let her know I find the price too high for me, and apologised for wasting her time.

Shame. They sounded like marvellous pups.

Side note:- I naively thought finding our next puppy would be easy, but I have been finding it very hard.

It has been a very long time since I've had a puppy. Well over a decade since my last puppy came home (he died recently aged 13 years). And my current girl I got from the pound and she was a young adult and already desexed etc but even that was over 10 years ago.

we found this too. We lost our old lab in May and began the search for the right breeder in June. Casper cost us $500 in 1997...Wilbur was $1400, which appeared to be an average price for labs. On another note, some vets charge more to desex male pups when one testicle hasn't descended - Wilbur had a wandering testicle til he was 11 weeks old when it fully descended and stopped going on holidays elsewhere in his body :laugh: Our previous vet told us that it would cost more if his testicle didn't descend.

So will the pup come desexed is that at 8 week? If so I would say that is young for a pup to be done I have seen dogs desexed to young and they can have alot wrong as they grow. Could you have a contract to say you will have the dog desexed at 6 - 12 months and send her proof of this?

we found this too. We lost our old lab in May and began the search for the right breeder in June. Casper cost us $500 in 1997...Wilbur was $1400, which appeared to be an average price for labs. On another note, some vets charge more to desex male pups when one testicle hasn't descended - Wilbur had a wandering testicle til he was 11 weeks old when it fully descended and stopped going on holidays elsewhere in his body :laugh: Our previous vet told us that it would cost more if his testicle didn't descend.

Zorro's testical has not come down :( but the vet said I could still wait till he was 12 months as that is a better age and he will be matured

Guest Panzer Attack!

My pup had an undescended teste and it cost over $800 to desex him :(

E x

PS: there should be a clause that breeds should be named in every thread because it drives me crazy trying to guess :laugh:

Male with 2 retained testes cost $600 (I think it included microchipping but can't remember).

Male with 2 descended testes cost $200.

These are adult pembroke welsh corgis, around 12-13kg at the time of desexing.

Some breeds are just more expensive to buy because people will pay that amount for those breeds. And I don't believe it has much to do with what it costs to raise the litter, because why would a litter of Whippets, Border Collies or Australian Shepherds (all sell for $1000 and under) cost less to raise than a litter of any other breed?

I've stopped being surprised at the price of puppies but it doesn't mean I'll pay those prices. I'll just find something cheaper. I can just as easily love a dog that's free to good home as I can a $2500 puppy. The last two dogs I got free to good home came desexed, on main register, microchipped etc. I can show them in neuter classes if I want to (I don't want to) and enter them in ANKC sanctioned events under their registered pedigree name. And in fact, one of them recently gained her first title so she now has letters after her pedigree name.

Edited by GayleK