Greys Adoption

woodbyne

This was an adopted one, and had been for a few years. Really it was one of the most boring dogs I've ever met. It would get up, walk around & flop down. I swear she was fed jelly, she just flopped and lay down everywhere. There was such much that I was told that you can't do with them that I seriously wondered what I COULD actually do with them, other than wrap it in cotton wool. Can't let them run for too long or they'll cramp, can't walk for too long as they're not meant for distance, can't crate train them as they don't like it.

I'm having second thoughts on fostering them now.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Meh, really?? I dunno, it may have been the dog in question. Some greys have great trouble sitting because they're never made to do that actual movement and their shape sometimes makes it painful. Though it's definitely possible to teach them (though not all), and that's hardly a prohibitive factor in my eyes. Just means you teach them to wait patiently when crossing streets, etc- few situations require sitting except obedience trialling etc!

The most annoying thing about them is not being able to let them off leash, but that's by no means a problem with the dogs, just with the law. Well, and the sight hound thing - but still. I don't think they're any less able to be walked than other dogs that aren't particularly into walking or exercise.

I suppose if you're after a really active dog, don't go for a grey. Horses for courses. But still, some can be quite active, particularly the younger ones (obviously). There are a great many 2-3 year olds that needs fostering/adoption, that have failed or finished their racing careers - these guys are young dogs and some are boisterous and very active. :shrug:

This was an adopted one, and had been for a few years. Really it was one of the most boring dogs I've ever met. It would get up, walk around & flop down. I swear she was fed jelly, she just flopped and lay down everywhere. There was such much that I was told that you can't do with them that I seriously wondered what I COULD actually do with them, other than wrap it in cotton wool. Can't let them run for too long or they'll cramp, can't walk for too long as they're not meant for distance, can't crate train them as they don't like it.

I've had a few in foster and some are complete couch potatoes yes. Some are complete livewires that have driven my other peaceable hounds nuts!

I have had a couple that would jog/walk for kms, so I don't know who told you they can't walk for long :confused: - they were certainly keener than me!! One in particular would get home, have a hose off and be at the back door with a ball in her mouth waiting for a game of fetch. While all the while the tail banged on the wall - thump, thump thump. It never stopped. She never stopped!!

Here she is, looking far from floppy and dull:

3dec5.jpg

My fosters have all been crate trained and taken to it perfectly as well - easier than other breeds I have fostered as a rule, especially working breeds.

I wouldn't make a judgement on any breed based on meeting one of them. Every dog breed is made up of individual dogs, all with their own personalities. Generalisations about a breed's temperament and outlook are just that - generalisations and not hard and fast rules.

Yes, realise that every dog is an individual. The person I spoke to was representing GAP & was doing a yard check, so assumed she was speaking with some degree of experience.

Alyosha, your dogs look lovely.

Thanks. :D

They don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool like that, certainly sounds like overkill. Apart from being rugged our fosters haven't had any more special treatment than our Borzoi, whether they're inside snoozing or out tearing through a paddock looking for rabbits. :) They all seem to enjoy themselves. :shrug:

Hope you find the breed that suits you. :)

Nothing boring about a greyhound. :) My boy is the ultimate couch potato and after a 40 min walk he'll spread out on the lounge for a kip.My girl has endless energy and could run all day.Two totally different dogs but both a constant source of entertainment.I fostered 7 greys and not one of them was alike and not one of them just layed around and pooed and weed.As I'm typing this my two are chasing each other around the backyard in the rain.Agree maybe not the breed for you.

PS:Love the pic Alyosha. :thumbsup:

yes I would think fostering greyhounds is not for you.

yes I would think fostering greyhounds is not for you.

Yes doesn't sound like they are what you are wanting in a dog.

My two are very different to each other (there is also a large age difference but the older one has always had a calmer personaility). My guys like a walk, one will go for longer than the other (he will literally stop in the middle of the road and refuse to move) and yes, they sleep a lot (Patch decided to grace us with his presence at 1:55 pm on Sunday, wasn't even keen on brekkie), but they also have bouts of playfullness and silliness where they run around like loons and pounce on toys. We also get an abundance of cuddles and licks from one (whose eyes literally light up when she sees you), and calm and gentle love and warmth from the other.

Thanks guys. I've had Weimaraners for about 30 years and just lost my old girl at 14 years & 11 months. Still have her brother and just tired of having to say that last final goodbye. :( Thought I'd give fostering a go. The final straw was when the assessor walked into the house with her Greyhound and the dog peed on the carpet in our lounge room. That really impressed me - NOT.

well that is not the fault of the breed, just that particular dog (and person).

Absolutely - that's not a very good way to assess the breed! I personally wouldn't foster for personal satisfaction as much as to provide assistance to a dog and a rescue organisation, so we probably have different motivations. If you're worried about a dog peeing on your carpet, perhaps fostering a dog that may not have been toilet trained isn't for you.

There are many rescue organisations that require foster carers too, so if you're not keen on greys, perhaps check out some organisations in your area and see how they operate. That way you'll be exposed to lots of breeds and variations thereof.

Sorry, this is probably all coming out wrong. I had my thumb replanted at the beginning of the year and typing isn't particulary comfortable, so I may not have expressed things very well.

I was not thinking of fostering as a way of getting personal satisfaction but to help dogs in need find good homes. I was also trying to avoid getting too attached to a dog again and then experience the pain & grief of losing something when it dies. So I turned to the idea of fostering thinking that I could help nice dogs find good homes. I could say goodbye knowing that the dog was still alive & well, and going to a fresh start in life.

After having Weimaraners, the Greyhounds that I've seen just seem rather lazy (perhaps that's not the correct word). I've just never seen a dog lie down as much though. I went along to the Royal Adelaide Show too and saw them and was amazed that nearly the whole lot were lying down. When they did stand up, it wasn't long before they flopped back onto the floor again. Hey, maybe that's a good thing. I've also owned a Beagle & Golden Retriever and competed in obedience trials for years (even had an OC)- just never seen dogs that lie down as much though. So maybe these Greyhounds were handpicked because they were so quiet. I appreciate the photos - your Greyhounds look lovely.

The dog in question was house-trained, I was just a little annoyed that the owner allowed it to happen. This was after she turned up 2 hours late, so I was somewhat peeved over the whole matter. Still we're all human, mistakes happen and I'll get over it. Please don't take offence - it really doesn't matter a jot what I think - as long as we all love our dogs, that's the main thing, isn't it?

I came to this forum in an attempt to learn more about the breed. I obviously don't know much, although I've tried to learn from reading about them. The best place to learn is on a forum. :) This was not designed as an attack on the breed - just want to know more about them. As usual, with emails, things don't always come out as intended and I'm trying to shortcut what I'm writing as my thumb doesn't work well.

On that note, I shall now leave as my thumb is fed up with being stretched over the space bar and I'm sick of having to retype nearly every word. So frustration also probably shines through because of my thumb too. :(

After having Weimaraners, the Greyhounds that I've seen just seem rather lazy (perhaps that's not the correct word). I've just never seen a dog lie down as much though. I went along to the Royal Adelaide Show too and saw them and was amazed that nearly the whole lot were lying down. When they did stand up, it wasn't long before they flopped back onto the floor again. Hey, maybe that's a good thing. I've also owned a Beagle & Golden Retriever and competed in obedience trials for years (even had an OC)- just never seen dogs that lie down as much though. So maybe these Greyhounds were handpicked because they were so quiet. I appreciate the photos - your Greyhounds look lovely.

if you want to learn about greyhounds then check out here and here. Greyhounds are (usually) calm and quiet and the ones at the Royal were not handpicked for that reason. It is a good thing they can chill out in very stressful situations. Those greyhounds on show live a greyt live which includes lot's of paddling and swimming in dams. Don't really know what went on when the GAP person visited but it does seem a lot was left unsaid.

Hi I am really sorry you have had such a bad experience, please dont be put off helping these amazing dogs, beleive me you will get alot more out of these beautiful dogs than you will ever know. I have been a foster career for greyhounds for both GAP and Friends of the Hound I also have 2 resuce greyhounds from Friends a 9 and half year old girl and a 3 and half year old boy. Neither could be more different to each other. My old girl is happy to be the princess with just the odd zoomies or a walk and then retire to the lounge/bed. My boy is mad as a cut snake and such a happy go lucky social butterfly that I do agility with him and obeidence. Like all dogs they have there personality and temperment and even when you opt to foster the organisation will only place dogs which fit YOUR familys animals and surroundings. They will not put an active dog into a house where you dont like to walk and walk and vise verser. So if you require a dog with a bit of spunk they will do there best to find that personality for you. So when the time is ready and you really what to either foster or adopte please tell them everything you need in the dog so that the right dog finds it's forever home. Rememeber to ask lots and lots of questions and if they are not happy to answer then that organisation is not right for you. Both my dogs have been crate trained and are happy to be in them. We have just spent 6 days in Tamworth competing in agiltiy and both my dogs had to spend time in there crates while I walked courses and helped out and we got our old girl at 4 so you can train them to accept anything providing you put in the time and make it rewarding for them like all other dogs. Wishing you all the best.

Edited by Yacket's Mum

Ot, but i think anyone who brings a dog to do a house inspection is a bit rude.

What if your resident dog didn't like it, fosters should be met on nuetral territory and then brought home. :(

It does sound like greys may not be for you, i have fostered about 4, mostly very chilled and easy, which i like :laugh:

As someone who has rehomed many dogs and owned many dogs, you simply cannot predict which ones will take a leak at someone else's house. It's often nothing to do with them being housetrained or not.

My very cleanest dog, an Iggy/Foxy cross, lifted his leg at a friend's at the weekend - I was mortified.

Zaddy - this was not the handler's fault and not the dog's either. Fostering is not for you I'd say. I had a foster carer of mine ask me for a housetrained dog next time and I had to explain that very few arrive housetained.

Don't go for a greyhound, just in case the dog isn't what you want, from what you've said already, they won't be right for you.

I think they are absolutely wonderful and it's my dream to have one.

Why not take one of those short online tests that matches a breed to your requirements? Might give you some good ideas.

Edited by dogmad

I have a mental, high-energy foster hound at the moment and honestly, I'd kill for one of those lazy, calm dogs that goes horizontal at any given opportunity.

Manic might be fun to watch when you first meet a dog but it wears thin very quickly if you don't have the energy levels to keep up with the dog.

Right now, Ru is doing crazy-pounces on his bed (jump on, try to kill the bed, run away again as if the bed is after him) while I'm still trying to get enough coffee in to function. Once the blood-caffeine levels are high enough, I need to go pick up all the things Ru got out during his nightly forage (which generally includes rubbish he's taken the liberty of "sorting" everywhere), clean up the stuffing from his bed/toy/undetermined source and once I've cleaned up after him, he has to be kept entertained because otherwise, he'll find his own entertainment (which would involve creating some kind of mess).

Obvious though.. if you don't want to foster another greyhound, just.. don't foster one? I honestly don't see the point of coming here and saying things like "I don't mean to offend but.." and then proceeding to say some stuff that plenty of greyhound people would take offense to when just not fostering greyhounds would solve your problem nicely.

Sorry about your thumb Zaddy - I've been there and typing one handed etc is so frustrating. :)

Have a browse through the greyhound thread in breed sub-forums. You'll read lots of stories of different hounds and get an idea of what sort of personality types you find in the breed. If you like other hounds as well there is a Sighthound thread where you will find stories and info on others - Irish Wolfhounds, Deerhounds, Borzoi, Salukis, Pharaohs, Afghans etc as well as Greys and Whippets.

I wouldn't give up on the idea of fostering if it's something you're drawn to. I've had negative experiences as well, but if you stick with it the good outweigh the bad. And there is always something to be learned from the bad, whether about dogs or humans. ;)

Likewise I wouldn't give up on Greys if you're drawn to them. They are a lovely breed with lots of variance in personality. They bring joy to many and varied owners and have the capacity to do so much more if given a chance. :D