Dogs In The Community

melzawelza

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure what you mean Danni? Unless I have missed something that has been posted? Feel free to PM me if there's anything that is concerning you, if I don't know what it is I can't act on it.

Edit: actually I'm really confused, when people were asking about the two pages I posted saying we are both working towards the same goal and discussing with each other, and I have been discussing the rally with the creator of the page you're talking about today. There is no problem between the two?

Edited by melzawelza

Pav Lova have you actually read the description and what is being discussed in the group? The general consensus has been specifically to NOT make it all about pit bulls for that very reason and instead to focus on the fact that the laws do not protect the public and the ALTERNATIVES that will. Of course pit bulls will be mentioned as part of the rally however that is far from the sole focus, in fact it is the minority.

For anyone interested the speakers we have confirmed so far are Glenn Cooke who a lot will know through his extensive knowledge and talent as a dog trainer/behaviorist and strong contributor to the NDTT, and also Tim Vasudeva who is the new CEO of AWL and has worked tirelessly for years for companion animals in this country and overseas.

We have many more in the pipelines and are making contact now.

All dog owners and lovers of all breeds should be involved in this. Not just the bull breeds. Any of these idiots who get dogs to be tough, I would say will now go and deliberately purchase dogs that are outside the standard. Other breeds will be in the firing line in future. This should be a wake up call to all owners. It can happen to their dogs. I think this is going to be a long long battle, but it needs to be opposed and fought.

Breed bans won't solve the dog attack problems. They will still happen, but the government won't lose face straight away. They won't give this one up easily, so be prepared, everyone will have to be in this long term. Everyone, with all breeds, or other breeds will be added I think. :(

Sydney events page here: The Sydney rally events page is here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=292379974109432

Hi bslsux, It's being coordinated through facebook mainly because it is just so much easier to do it that way rather than anything else, but I've copied and pasted the info so far below:

This the event page for anyone attending the Rally against BSL in SYDNEY on the 22nd of October at Belmore Park (opposite Central station) to discuss anything and everything.

Namely speakers, timing, location, marketing etc. Feel free to post whatever you'd like and also make sure you're on the main Aus wide event page.

IMPORTANT: we need to portray a fantastic image of both our dogs AND ourselves at this event. Currently the general public believe the bully breeds are inherently aggressive and owned by criminals. It is so important that we change that perception on the day!!

What this means is:

1. DO NOT bring your dog if he/she isn't bombproof and can handle large crowds of people and other dogs. Also be prepared to leave if you bring your and dog and he/she shows signs of fearfulness, stress or anxiety.

2. NO STUDDED LEATHER COLLARS or anything that could be perceived as aggressive!! If anything we need to be dressing them in tutu's and silly hats. Remember we're trying to change the general public's mind, not confirm what they think they already know.

3. We also have to promote great images of ourselves!! Dress smart to again show the general public that people just like them own these breeds! We shouldn't be judged on ours or our dogs attire but unfortunately we ARE.

4. Peaceful protest! No aggressive tactics or swearing, just calm, logical FACTUAL arguments presented in an accessible way. This is how we get attention, by showing our intelligence, not confirming the public's perception by acting like crims.

Please feel free to suggest absolutely anything in this group. This is about AL OF US having a say and pulling together to have a great rally, not a few people making all the decisions.

Scheduled for 11 am on 22nd October on the steps of Parliament House. However this Rally is to be confirmed. No dogs to attend. A lead and an empty collar to symbolise, preferred. This is what I know to date. Stay tuned.

Why no dogs? How can we encourage making dogs part of the community if we show up without dogs?

Peeing dogs shouldn't be a problem, the steps are concrete so it evaporates quickly. Pooing dogs won't be a problem as there are laws everywhere about picking up your dog's poo. Even the Oscars Law rally said the dogs must be pretty bombproof or you'd be asked to leave.

It will only take one incident to undo the message the rallies are trying to get out there. Many people underestimate the ability of their dogs to handle a large, worked up crowd full of unknown dogs. A dog scuffle would not have damaged a message about abolishing puppy farms but will be all the media latches on to if it happens at a rally about dangerous dog laws.

Good point Snook!

Won't make the owners of the dogs in the scuffle happy either.

My dogs are Ok. Horse is an assistance dog, he does love to sniff though! Fiona came to the Oscars Law rally. She does get a bit intimidated by all the loud noises, so we stayed across the road for the most part, then went to treasury gardens for a doggy snooze!

Good point Snook!

Won't make the owners of the dogs in the scuffle happy either.

My dogs are Ok. Horse is an assistance dog, he does love to sniff though! Fiona came to the Oscars Law rally. She does get a bit intimidated by all the loud noises, so we stayed across the road for the most part, then went to treasury gardens for a doggy snooze!

Personally, I think empty collars will be a stronger statement than dogs.

Most of us think our dogs are o.k. But even ok dogs occasionally get out of hand.

Why no dogs? How can we encourage making dogs part of the community if we show up without dogs?

Peeing dogs shouldn't be a problem, the steps are concrete so it evaporates quickly. Pooing dogs won't be a problem as there are laws everywhere about picking up your dog's poo. Even the Oscars Law rally said the dogs must be pretty bombproof or you'd be asked to leave.

It will only take one incident to undo the message the rallies are trying to get out there. Many people underestimate the ability of their dogs to handle a large, worked up crowd full of unknown dogs. A dog scuffle would not have damaged a message about abolishing puppy farms but will be all the media latches on to if it happens at a rally about dangerous dog laws.

I agree. It is best to have a select few dogs attend.

Yes Snook's post describes it perfectly. It won't be no dogs at all, there will be doggy ambassadors but they will be invited prior to the rally and they will be dogs that have been through high levels of training and are known to be able to handle crowds.