Dogs In The Community

melzawelza

Dogs in the Community – a rally against BSL and for improved Companion Animal Practices in Australia.

Recent media attention regarding canine aggression and dog bite incidents in the community has once again brought issues such as Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) and companion animal management practices to the forefront. A rally addressing these issues and the continuing failure of government to adequately address community safety and/or canine welfare is being held at Belmore Park (opposite Central Station), Sydney on October 22, 12- 3pm.

Who is this rally for?

Anyone, not just dog owners, who is interested in the issues regarding dogs in the community. In particular, matters of:

• Community Safety - The current measures taken by government categorically fail to make the community safer, continuing to put the general public at risk, despite proven solutions being available.

• Breed Specific Legislation - All available scientific literature proves BSL ineffective, and academics and Subject Matter Experts (SME’s) universally acknowledge that BSL does not make communities safer from dog bite incidents.

• Animal Welfare - World class, science-driven animal management strategies are in use in many areas of the world. These areas enjoy not only extremely low incidences of dog bites, but animal destruction rates that are considered “No Kill” (>10%).

• Social Progress – Policies such as BSL are 25 years behind other countries in terms of providing a solution that most advantages the community.

• Responsible Guardianship - How do we encourage and ensure responsible dog guardianship?

• Tax Payers - Citizens who want their taxes spent efficiently and effectively, in the best interests of their communities, ought to be alarmed at the current state of affairs. Proven self-funded models are available to make the public safer while simultaneously improving animal welfare.

Our keynote speakers will address these topics in detail from various perspectives.

Can I bring my dog to the rally?

Dogs who serve the community, such as assistance dogs and police dogs, undergo extensive training in order to be behaviourally reliable in crowded situations. A rally is an unfamiliar, potentially challenging/stressful environment for many dogs, which could lead to unexpected behaviours. Therefore, whilst we all love our dogs and would like them to attend, ONLY dogs that have been invited by the organisers prior to the event are to attend. These dogs will act as representatives of all dogs in the community.

Your support of, and compliance with, this decision is sincerely appreciated by all who will attend the rally.

This is a Peaceful Rally!

It is important that the majority of Australians are given the opportunity to identify with our messages as non-threatening and in the best interests of Australian society. This rally is based on peaceful protest and intelligent debate. It is an alcohol-free event and the organisers ask all participants to refrain from disruptive behaviour, including abusive language.

We understand why some owners of particular breeds/types of dogs that are being targeted by the media feel frustration and anger, however, we also understand that the general public – who have been fed a diet of misinformation, media hysteria and political rhetoric – cannot be expected to join us in a call for change unless we engage with them in a positive and productive fashion.

Banners and Signs are encouraged, however the language and phrases used must be chosen carefully (spelling is important!). Slogans such as “Ban Stupid People, Not Dogs” have the potential to create division rather than cooperation. Slogans along the lines of those in the list below are welcome:

“Consult the Experts”

“Deed Not Breed”

“Breed Specific Legislation - Science Disagrees”

“Breeds Don’t Make Bad Dogs, People Make Bad Dogs”

“Education Not Discrimination”

“Breed Specific Policy Fails the Public”

“BSL = Epic Fail”

“Honour Ayen’s Memory – Protection Through Good Policy”

“Media Driven Policy = Failure”

“Science + Education = Public Safety”

“Scientists Agree: Abolish Poor Policy”

“Our Kids Deserve Better”

“End BSL, Save Human Lives”

“Science + Research = No BSL”

How can you get involved?

As well as attending on the day, if you wish to donate time or resources to the rally, please email us briefly, outlining how you wish to contribute. Please include in the subject line of your email: your state, followed by ‘HELP AVAILABLE’ and your name, e.g. “NSW, HELP AVAILABLE John Jones”

Please send email to: [email protected]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out our website: www.communityk9.com.au

The Sydney facebook event page is here (please RSVP if you're on facebook): http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=292379974109432

CONFIRMED SPEAKERS:

Tim Vasudeva - CEO of Animal Welfare League NSW

Glenn Cooke - Respected trainer and behaviourist, and educator for the NDTF

Caroline Perrin - Veterinary Behaviourist with Sydney Animal Behaviourist Services

Kaye Browne - Regular guest on the 2GB 'Pet Talk' program.

Edited by melzawelza

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For anyone interested the speakers we have confirmed so far are Glenn Cooke who a lot will know through his extensive knowledge and talent as a dog trainer/behaviorist and strong contributor to the NDTF, and also Tim Vasudeva who is the new CEO of AWL and has worked tirelessly for years for companion animals in this country and overseas.

We have many more in the pipelines and are making contact now.

Just for anyone that hadn't read through the discussions in the NSW forum, we are specifically not wanting to do what has always been done in the past and focus exclusively on pit bulls. In fact we are going to keep the pit bull stuff in the minority and instead focus on the ineffectiveness of the laws in protecting people from dog attacks, how impossible they are to implement effectively and the cost to taxpayers on something that has been proven to not work. We will then also focus on the alternatives that have been proven to work such as the Calgary model.

Any suggestions are absolutely welcomed.

Unfortunately I think certain comments in these discussions and rallys have turned Pitbull owners away from the particular rally. There has been a lot of "pitbulls are a lost cause", not really a helpful view to have when we are all supposed to be sticking together and working together for ALL dog breeds.

Unfortunately I think certain comments in these discussions and rallys have turned Pitbull owners away from the particular rally. There has been a lot of "pitbulls are a lost cause", not really a helpful view to have when we are all supposed to be sticking together and working together for ALL dog breeds.

Sorry K&P, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Please direct me to any quotes, links or posts where anyone has said or even ALLUDED to pitbulls being a lost cause. Considering I myself am an avid pit bull fan as are a large percentage of the people in the group, I fail to see how you have gotten that impression.

Just because people are choosing not to do the same old thing over and over again hoping to get a different result, doesn't mean that we believe pit bulls are a lost cause and we are t in it for them. On the contrary, NOT focusing exclusively on pit bulls is what we believe a better result for that particular breed and ALL other breeds.

If you feel that holding a pit bull rally and speaking about pit bulls for three hours will provide a positive result for the dogs and inspire change in the public and the government, then I'm sorry but you are looking at the situation with blinkers on and these laws will be around forever.

Hi Allerzeit,

It hasn't been cancelled but there have been some issues and the Aus wide page has moved. I will post the link in a minute (on my phone right now). The Sydney group is exactly the same and going ahead as planned, as is everything else organized in other states, we've just had a hiccup in that the page has had to be moved. We're hoping that everyone on the old page finds the new one.

Sorry K&P, but I have no idea what you are talking about. Please direct me to any quotes, links or posts where anyone has said or even ALLUDED to pitbulls being a lost cause. Considering I myself am an avid pit bull fan as are a large percentage of the people in the group, I fail to see how you have gotten that impression.

Just because people are choosing not to do the same old thing over and over again hoping to get a different result, doesn't mean that we believe pit bulls are a lost cause and we are t in it for them. On the contrary, NOT focusing exclusively on pit bulls is what we believe a better result for that particular breed and ALL other breeds.

If you feel that holding a pit bull rally and speaking about pit bulls for three hours will provide a positive result for the dogs and inspire change in the public and the government, then I'm sorry but you are looking at the situation with blinkers on and these laws will be around forever.

Oh I am not saying hold a pitbull only rally. I am all for an Anti - BSL rally about protecting ALL breeds of dogs who are in danger, 100% behind that. We will only succeed in saving the already restricted breeds with the help of breeds who are on the chopping block and breeds who are on the chopping block will only succeed with the help of already restricted breeds.

I was just pointing out that a large group of people that I know who are PB people have come back saying that people have been not so much anti pitbull but just basically saying that Pitts are a lost cause etc. Sorry I missed the exact spots where it happened as I have been mostly absent off FB but will see if I can get them to show me where it was.

Well I would suggest you look into something yourself before posting here based on just hearsay, because I can guarantee you will see nothing of the sort on either the group or the event page. I certainly would not have stood for that being posted.

Again, I have been extremely open with asking for opinions and suggestions from anyone and everyone and if your friends believed that the APBT was being forgotten or they had any suggestions they should have joined the group and posted or sent me a message.

Well I would suggest you look into something yourself before posting here based on just hearsay, because I can guarantee you will see nothing of the sort on either the group or the event page. I certainly would not have stood for that being posted.

Again, I have been extremely open with asking for opinions and suggestions from anyone and everyone and if your friends believed that the APBT was being forgotten or they had any suggestions they should have joined the group and posted or sent me a message.

I do not count what I have been told by VERY good friends as hearsay.

The problem was derogatory comments being thrown about by you and members of the rally group, don't act like you know nothing! shunning the very people who could have showed their dogs In a responsible manner was a great move :thumbsup:

There was nothing but animosity towards certain people being part of the rally from the day go! Heaps of people have pulled out not a great thing In helping the cause

Good luck with It all