Vet In S-e Melbourne Who Believes In Raw

Ozmutt

Can anyone recommend a vet in the S-E suburbs of Melbourne that believes in a raw diet - or at least will not lecture me on the benefits of commercial dry dog food and also is open to reason on not pushing yearly vaccinations or kennel cough?

I am hoping to find a vet that is more in tune with my thinking.

Thanks.

I think Inevitablue is referring to Dr Bruce Syme's Veterinary Clinic? I would give a hearty thumbs up there too, but Castlemaine is about a 3 hour drive (each way) from the South Eastern suburbs, perhaps just a little under. I've made the trip a few times and it was well worthwhile at the time, but for the basic care, one needs a Vet more local.

I have visited Dr Bob Cavey who has recently opened his new Veterinary Clinic on Narre Warren North Road, Narre Warren South. "Ultimate Vet Clinic" is, I think, the name of his clinic. He understands my views and preferences to not over-use drugs and commercial diets on our dogs where we can reasonably avoid it and has not tried to push me to the contrary. Quite a reasonable and open approach to thinking outside the square.

Guest Black Obsession

(Edited to remove rant, which was off topic and unhelpful. Sorry!)

I would take on Danois' advice below...great suggestion!

I have a fantastic vet who is very supportive about my views on feeding and vaccinations. They are out there.

Edited by Black Obsession

The vet in Castlemaine in regional Vic is probably Dr Bruce Syme. He is the founder of Vets All Natural Animal Health Clinic and has a range of natural supplements and raw foods. His prepacked meat,Premium Choice, and/or his Complete Mix muesli to mix with fresh raw meat, is avialalbe from many pet stores. You can search for a local stockist on the website www.vetsallnatural.com.au

I have heard there is one in maybe Dingley or Cheltenham or Mordialloc, not quite sure where it is but I know they do letterbox drops of their newsletter in Mentone. They certainly question the need for yearly vacc's in the newsletter, not sure about their thoughts of raw. But could be worth hunting about that area.

Why not just find a great vet and then be assertive and say - thank you for your advice however I am comfortable with my decision to feed raw/ vaccinate less frequently so don't need to discuss it.

A good vet should respect your decisions regardless.

I've never been pressured by any vet to feed a commercial diet in 20+ years of dog ownership. Even with Amber, who needs a special diet, the vets looked up a homemade diet for me.

Vaccinating has been the same. We have discussed the options and I've decided what is to happen.

JulesP, DON'T go to the RSPCA then...The girl asked why I feed Horse raw, and when I said he's corn and wheat sensitive, I was told to feed them Science Diet because 'he looks so thin'! Fiona is obese now, so I'm sure that didn't help, the way Horse looks or the crappy food! First ingredient's CORN, so I have 2 large sacks of crappy kibble next to my tv!

I live in SE Melb, the vets we go to are Lort Smith, which are NW Melb, or a train ride to Flagstaff(on the w/end Melbourne Central) and a stroll through the market and up the road, usually takes me 1 1/2 hours, the dogs love the walk!

I also have a vet friend who kept me supplied with vibravet and baytril when I had rats. She's happy to visit me for an emergency hiccup if I need it, for first aid help until I can get Lort Smith's Animal Ambulance to come.

JulesP, DON'T go to the RSPCA then...The girl asked why I feed Horse raw, and when I said he's corn and wheat sensitive, I was told to feed them Science Diet because 'he looks so thin'! Fiona is obese now, so I'm sure that didn't help, the way Horse looks or the crappy food! First ingredient's CORN, so I have 2 large sacks of crappy kibble next to my tv!

I live in SE Melb, the vets we go to are Lort Smith, which are NW Melb, or a train ride to Flagstaff(on the w/end Melbourne Central) and a stroll through the market and up the road, usually takes me 1 1/2 hours, the dogs love the walk!

I also have a vet friend who kept me supplied with vibravet and baytril when I had rats. She's happy to visit me for an emergency hiccup if I need it, for first aid help until I can get Lort Smith's Animal Ambulance to come.

Your dog is incredibly thin and your diet was very weird from memory. Any vet that didn't question what you were feeding would not be doing their job.

Dr Anne Neville at East Bentleigh does conventional, holistic and chinese vet medicine and is a big believer in feeding raw. Cannot recommend her highly enough. I have even consulted her from Sydney for successful cancer treatment and several friends have also had success with long distance consults for cancer.

Hi. Another option is to engage an online holistic vet - there are a few available in Australia now and their websites usually contain lots of free info. I've been following Honey Great Dane Blog for a long time and she has introduced me to Roar Kingdom who also has a very informative blog. Lots of great info on both of those websites on raw diets and alternatives to vaccinations that you might find helpful.

Dr Anne Neville at East Bentleigh does conventional, holistic and chinese vet medicine and is a big believer in feeding raw. Cannot recommend her highly enough. I have even consulted her from Sydney for successful cancer treatment and several friends have also had success with long distance consults for cancer.

I swear by her. She's excellent.

• 4 months later...

I have had workings with Anne Neville and find her to be a lovely and thorough vet. She is definitely into everything holistic and alternative which is rather interesting and I am not adverse to her dealings in any way. I do recommend her. She also have some very lovely Vet Nurses (Mel and Jo) working for her. Her clinic is called East West Vets.

However my highest opinion belongs to Dr. Bob Cavey (at Ultimate Vet Clinic . In Narre Warren South). He has beautiful bedside manner, many years of experience and will listen with understanding. His clinic is very clean all the time which is a contrast to the above. I recommend going down and having a chat to Bob and the team.