Waiting For Papers?

WillowGirl

Hi, just wondering if this is the norm or not?

When I got my first pb dog, I was given his papers at the time of purchase. All good.*6 years ago

The second pup I bought I was told I would receive the papers in a few weeks, well, it never got to that as I had to return the pup due to it having a congenital condition. Then I bought another pup (not having much luck) and was told I would get the papers soon. That was 5 weeks ago and last I heard there was a mix up with Dogs Vic and the breeder would get onto it and call me by the end of the week.

I guess what I am asking is .....Is it normal for reg breeders to not have the papers by 8 weeks and how long does it take them to go through the system? also, do all the puppies of the litter have to be reg all at once?

thanks in advance

Hi, just wondering if this is the norm or not?

When I got my first pb dog, I was given his papers at the time of purchase. All good.*6 years ago

The second pup I bought I was told I would receive the papers in a few weeks, well, it never got to that as I had to return the pup due to it having a congenital condition. Then I bought another pup (not having much luck) and was told I would get the papers soon. That was 5 weeks ago and last I heard there was a mix up with Dogs Vic and the breeder would get onto it and call me by the end of the week.

I guess what I am asking is .....Is it normal for reg breeders to not have the papers by 8 weeks and how long does it take them to go through the system? also, do all the puppies of the litter have to be reg all at once?

thanks in advance

In short yes & yes. I wont register a litter until they have been microchipped which is at 6 weeks - infact you cant register a litter now without the microchip numbers now. Anyway HOPEFULLY I can send the paperwork off on the same day to the CC and its back by the 2 weeks but quite often it takes longer although Dogs NSW has gone computer savy and you can register online these days which helps. Despite best efforts I have recieved papers 2 weeks after the pups went to their new homes :o but thankfully that isnt very often.

In NSW all pups from all litters must be registered either MR or LR. I dont know about other states.

Edited by Tapua

Alot of breeders like to wait till the puppies are older, so they can decide which pups are going on limited register (pet puppies) & which pups will be going on main register (show potential )

Also alot of breeders will wait till the pups are microchipped before doing the paper work , so that the pups microchip number can go on the registration cerificate.

So it is quite common for a breeder to post you out your papers at a later date. :)

I did also wait until puppies were older - microchipped at 6 weeks and tattoo'd at 8 weeks, so I didn't apply for their papers until then. Unfortunately, I forgot to accompany the microchip paperwork when I registered the puppies, so their numbers weren't on their papers (but I made a copy for the new owners so they could transfer their puppy over with the microchip number recorded). I submitted my papers and paid for the fast tracking so that i could get the new owners to fill out the papers there and then, so i could make a copy and then I sent it back to them, but they did physically SEE the papers at the time they took home their puppy.

This just can't happen with all litters - time, mistakes, and name changes/resubmissions can all mean delays.. for all the puppies i have purchased, I have waited on papers - between 2 weeks and up to 4 months.

That's normal, some breeders will let puppy buyers choose the puppy's registered name too which slows the process up a bit as well. Also I think the litters are all processed together at the end of the month so if the breeder sends the paper work in on the first it may sit there for a few weeks before the VCA processes them, and prints the papers out. Then they have to go to the breeder who has to pass them on to you. Don't panic 5 weeks is nothing! I've had the VCA muck up one of my dogs papers so badly that they spent around 5 months of her first year in their office! Not all at once mind you but still.

I had to wait a while for my papers as Dogs Vic made a mistake (and then also made more mistakes, but we gave up trying to change them as it wasn't going to cause a significant issue). My breeder gave me a copy of what the papers would say and then sent me the papers once they came through but it ended up being about 6 weeks later just because the Dogs Vic office kept putting the wrong info in!

Unless I have one which is going into the ring I also take my time. A breeder in NSW has 18 months and I like to be sure before I place them on a register as to what they will be used for rather than having to chop and change them later.Sometimes too I have a pup here for several months until it goes to its new home and it suits me more to wait and name them officially when they are sold. Im very clear about this up front and write it on my receipts but Im also happy to provide the unregistered pedigree if anyone is wanting to see bloodlines etc.

Are you allowed to enter Baby puppies with registration numbers pending?

We have a few new babies in WA I would love to see shown at the end of October. Entries close on the 3rd October though and I doubt either litter will have all the paperwork back by then!

Oh phew! Thanks. It has been 5 weeks I have had her, so hopefully it's just a glitch and I will get them soon. I want to do some pedigree stalking :)

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Your breeder should be able to give you a copy of the pup's 3 generation (or preferably 5) pedigree anyway - breeders I've dealt with have all given me those or had them on their website. So you ahould be able to do your pedigree stalking - it's fun, isn't it. :D

But I agree - as well as checking with your breeder, check with Dogs Vic on the phone - and they will also be able to tell you whether you can enter a baby puppy with Number Applied For - or something like that.

Are you allowed to enter Baby puppies with registration numbers pending?

We have a few new babies in WA I would love to see shown at the end of October. Entries close on the 3rd October though and I doubt either litter will have all the paperwork back by then!

if they pay for fast track they will have the papers in 24 hrs

Oh phew! Thanks. It has been 5 weeks I have had her, so hopefully it's just a glitch and I will get them soon. I want to do some pedigree stalking :)

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Your breeder should be able to give you a copy of the pup's 3 generation (or preferably 5) pedigree anyway - breeders I've dealt with have all given me those or had them on their website. So you ahould be able to do your pedigree stalking - it's fun, isn't it. :D

But I agree - as well as checking with your breeder, check with Dogs Vic on the phone - and they will also be able to tell you whether you can enter a baby puppy with Number Applied For - or something like that.

Yeah, I guess I could ask her to email me a copy for the pedigree stalking etc, was also wanting to show her, she fits within the standard so far and I thought it would be fun :) Was waiting to get her papers and then look at getting into it. I don't know a whole lot about it as yet!

Yeah, I guess I could ask her to email me a copy for the pedigree stalking etc, was also wanting to show her, she fits within the standard so far and I thought it would be fun :) Was waiting to get her papers and then look at getting into it. I don't know a whole lot about it as yet!

Is your breeder putting her on Main or limited register?...It might be a good idea to make sure your breeder is putting her on Main, especially if you are intending on Showing her. :)