Maltese

Horse2008

A rescue I work with(for medium/large breeds) got a cardboard box outside the door of the president's door this morning, inside was a little white dog and an envelope she'd peed on. The note said '2yr old female maltese. Had a litter of 3, 2 died, she almost did. Microchipped(secretary tried everything to get hold of useful info - P Smith in Los Vegas doesn't help) and if we can't return her, she'll be spayed.

I've found some info online, the only things the sites agree on is they're a toy breed of dog originating in Italy, they're highly intelligent and they usually need clipping 3 or 4 times a year.

Does anyone else have info to share?

Id this here or in America? Im confused??

How sad, poor little thing. We have a rescue Maltese. Shes not the best with kids, most arnt I believe. Great with singles or elder peopel usually have them. They dont shed at all thats why they need to be clipped. Teeth can be a problem, but good diet and good hygene will help. Smart, easily trained, but can carry a grudge..do you think shes been mistreated? If so she will need lots of love and TLC. Sounds like shes had a traumatic time, poor baby.

Oh they can be fussy eaters too.

Edited to add - people suck :( Hugs to muma dog.

Edited by Missymoo

The dog's in Melbourne. He said she slept in bed with him. He smelled her fur before dropping her at doggy daycare. She must have been washed with human shampoo over her back, but she has dags on her tummy, so he's told them to clip her properly and give her a dog bath.

Apparently Dave's taught her to sit already, she's definately a smart dog. I'd say that because she's on the skinny side and because she has dags(more then would come from a few hours in the box)it's likely the owner didn't think it was worth the expense of keeping her clean. I don't know why the note says she's been bred from, she'll be spayed by us soon anyway. The vet said she's 2 years old!

I think Dave's planning on keeping her.

How long is quarantine?

Dave loves her, she'll be well loved with him,

Maybe they brought her over and got the local council breathing down their necks.

Maybe the story / sequence of events is bogus.

Maybe.

Microchips have numbers and if anything at all is recorded against the chip number it would be more than just a name and a city. Even the manufacturer of the chip could possibly provide some info about who the chip was sold to and when.

It's not an Australian chip! It churned out lots of gobbledegook on the reader. I don't want to post the numbers, the landline's been disconnected and the mobile number's dead, but as we haven't been told the number's out of service, we'll keep trying.

The RSPCA in Burwood East let us put up a Found notice' on the board, and there are a few other vets/pounds there are notices in.

Edited to add: I meant how long is quarantine to get in the country?

Edited by Horse2008

If the dog is from the USA, its not an easy process! it has to be titred almost 6 months before it even leaves, quarrentine here is 30 days!! I cant believe they went through all that and dumped it..unless it was stolen used for a litter and then dumped??

Perhaps a newspaper add and serching lost colomn/webistes?

Edited by Missymoo

It's not an Australian chip! It churned out lots of gobbledegook on the reader. I don't want to post the numbers, the landline's been disconnected and the mobile number's dead, but as we haven't been told the number's out of service, we'll keep trying.

The RSPCA in Burwood East let us put up a Found notice' on the board, and there are a few other vets/pounds there are notices in.

Edited to add: I meant how long is quarantine to get in the country?

When is the dog going to the pound?

Which number are you trying?

And best you dont desex the dog for at least one month.

The dog is not yours.

It is lost.

Edited by lilli

Microchipped(secretary tried everything to get hold of useful info - P Smith in Los Vegas doesn't help) and if we can't return her, she'll be spayed.

I've found some info online, the only things the sites agree on is they're a toy breed of dog originating in Italy, they're highly intelligent and they usually need clipping 3 or 4 times a year.

Does anyone else have info to share?

SO much of this really makes no sense.. apart from the fact that it's Las Vegas.. If the dog has come from the US, the chip details would have been changed to a local address whilst the dog was in quarantine here... you could easily contact customs or whatever the Quarantine Station is down there and ask them to check her chip number.. you could do that in every state.. and locate whoever brought her into the country... easy.