Looking For Good Video Of Food Refusal

Hi all,

I've been talking to a friend about the benefits of food refusal. They've currently taught their dog 'wait' before food, but I wanted to give them an idea of how advanced and safe this could be for their dog.

Anyone have any good you tube vids of training for this?

Would also like to see a successful trialing effort just for comparison. :)

Cheers!

I personally don't see the benefit of teaching food refusal. Do you mean for competition or real life? (as in dog on't take food thrown over fence/offered by another person)

Yeah Kavik, Essentially it teaches the dog to only accept food from their bowl and from now where else...I want to teach it to my dog as well as I dont trust one of my neighbours, he doesnt like my dog and I suspect him capable of feeding my dog rat poison or lacing a piece of stack with some sort of poison and chucking it over the fence.

It is used alot with security and and guard dogs.

So +1 if anyone has any material.

Thanks

No doubt it can be taught.... personally I would never trust in it though. Better to put your efforts into building a bigger fence ;) Don't you hate it when you can't trust your neighbours!!!

I personally don't see the benefit of teaching food refusal. Do you mean for competition or real life? (as in dog on't take food thrown over fence/offered by another person)

Yeah Kavik, Essentially it teaches the dog to only accept food from their bowl and from now where else...I want to teach it to my dog as well as I dont trust one of my neighbours, he doesnt like my dog and I suspect him capable of feeding my dog rat poison or lacing a piece of stack with some sort of poison and chucking it over the fence.

It is used alot with security and and guard dogs.

So +1 if anyone has any material.

Thanks

I think to do it properly (so they won't take something on the ground vs something like not taking something offered by a person or turning their head away if a bowl is waved in their face) would be very difficult and would require a lot of aversives as dogs are opportunistic scavengers.

Good working dog always pick up something from ground.

If you really want to train food refusal, you also need to think about what is the negative side of this training.

I asked the same question to my trainer, what he said that is very very difficult and dog may have develop other negative effect.

You may feed dog only away from the fence and install E fence to keep dog away from the fence.

I was personally interested from a trialing point of view.

But also mentioned the advantages of a dog who will automatically refuse food waved about by a toddler or elderly person/ wheel chair height etc.

Would also be good to help with refusal from strangers over the fence but agree, it's not fool proof.

Thanks anyway guys.