Making Your Own Leads

TessnSean

I have decided to make my own leads but I wont be setting up a business to sell them because I am time poor enough as it is. So I have paracord - tick. Beads- tick. Spacers - tick. What I need help with is the correct name of the metal clamp thingies that you out on either side of your beads to stop them sliding up and down the paracord. I have searched eBay and heaps of the beading web sites but can not seem to find them. Does anyone know what they are called or where you get them? Buntings? Spotlight? Thank you in advance :)

I have decided to make my own leads but I wont be setting up a business to sell them because I am time poor enough as it is. So I have paracord - tick. Beads- tick. Spacers - tick. What I need help with is the correct name of the metal clamp thingies that you out on either side of your beads to stop them sliding up and down the paracord. I have searched eBay and heaps of the beading web sites but can not seem to find them. Does anyone know what they are called or where you get them? Buntings? Spotlight? Thank you in advance :)

Have no idea what they are called but Spotlight have them in their crafts / jewelery section (and lots of nice beads etc).

I have decided to make my own leads but I wont be setting up a business to sell them because I am time poor enough as it is. So I have paracord - tick. Beads- tick. Spacers - tick. What I need help with is the correct name of the metal clamp thingies that you out on either side of your beads to stop them sliding up and down the paracord. I have searched eBay and heaps of the beading web sites but can not seem to find them. Does anyone know what they are called or where you get them? Bunnings? Spotlight? Thank you in advance :)

Have no idea what they are called but Spotlight have them in their crafts / jewelery section (and lots of nice beads etc).

Thanks Bisart. I will look Saturday. I have tried searching findings, crimps and even miscellaneous :) But can't find anything. I meant Bunnings of course but auto correct on the iPad changed it :D

• 7 months later...

You can buy them from spotlight in the beading section. I am not sure what they are called but they do come in different lengths. The ones I have used also have a round ring on the end which you just cut off with scissors and on the other end is the pointy bit which sticks into the paracord. I hope this has helped you :thumbsup:

Hi,

did anyone find out where to buy the flat fold crimps to keep the beads on paracord?

Thanks

They are just called crimps. You can also get them from anywhere that deals in leather such as saddle places, but Spotlight is probably the easiest.

Biggest thing to remember, don't forget the seal the ends of your paracord after you cut it, I have made a few and forgot to seal them and the ends have all freyed. If you are just making them for yourself a little nail polish or even just burn/melt the fibres will do the trick then tidy up with a crimp.

EDIT - Ahh sorry didn't see the time stamp.

Edited by Shaar

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Spotlight and they've never seen them before. The only thing I can get are the leather end crimps with a loop. As soon as I use these and snip the loop off they seem to rust. I've also tried leather shops online and locally without success.

If the loop is not too big fold it under so it sits inside the crimp as you close it.

Hi,

We have a $2 Shop (Hot Spot Discounts) which has a large bead, ribbon, scrapbooking section........I got crimps from them, also they had them in different metals ie Nickel plated and Antique Bronze.......so maybe look in the $2 shops