Dexter Got His Title!

hi all,

Just a quick brag to say that Dexter FINALLY got his CD title last night at caboolture.

His 3 qualies were for 179, 185 and 176 points and his sweeps was 180 points. No ridiculously high scores but considering that he almost always misses a couple of drops he did very well.

Am very happy to have titled my first dog!

Guest cloverfdch

Woohoo way to go :). Ahh yes onto the fun stuff now. I am still working on that darn Novice title with my Rotti x girl, *Sigh* we will get it one day :thumbsup:.

You were touting this dog as assustance dog for a disability person. Someone was donating money to get him to be as assistance dog

why are you competing with dog which shiould be used as an assustance dog? Which someone has helped provide money to train. Winnng CD wont make him a better assistace dog.

why dio you want donations to compete for your own pleasure? No one else in obedience is getting money from the public for it.

Isn't some credit union paying your way? What do they think about the assistance dog being used for competition, instead of for a disabled person atomic?

Did the person who gave this dog to help disabled person know that you are using him for competition and NOT to help the disabled?

How many dogs have you trained as assistance dogs?

racknrune2000,

Your post comes across quite aggressive, so I'll apologise now for the tone of my post, if that wasn't your intention.

Do you have any idea how much work goes into training dogs, not just as Assistance dogs, but even just running an adoption agency with foster carers?

Some adoption groups are lucky enough to get sponsorship which helps them support their foster carers.

Some foster carers are lucky enough to be able to afford to "for-go" the financial assistance available (through sponsorship of the adoption program)... but it is barely enough to go towards travel costs & feeding.

Where would a group get money for De-sexing, veterinary costs, feeding, grooming supplies or travelling to pick up/drop off dogs - If not for Sponsorship?

I foster for a group - and I can tell you, that they certainly DO NOT complain if I take the foster dogs to dog obedience!!!

They certainly WOULD NOT complain if one of the dogs was good enough to actually gain it's Title!!!

What I do with MY money, and how much of it I spend on the foster dogs, is nobody's business but MINE!

The same goes for any other foster-carer - If they go out of their way to improve the training of a dog beyond their call of duty... GOOD ON THEM! :cool:

Your not so intelligent statement that gaining the CD would not make a better assistance dog is..... :( Ridiculous!

CD is a COMPANION DOG Title.... since Assistance dogs are Companion Dogs as well, the ability to get the title shows the dog is BETTER than one that doesn't pass.

:rolleyes:

racknrune,

your post only goes to show that you are not only aggressive and rude, but you haven't got a clue about what goes into an AssIstance dog (learn to spell! - if you're gonna be rude then so can I!). You wouldn't happen to be one of the people who has been "monitoring' my internet activity and "reporting" back lies to other people would you?

Anyway, to answer you questions:

No, I was not "touting" him as an assistance dog he IS an assistance dog, got nothing to do with me touting at all.

Someone was donating money to help him become an assistance dog and I pm'd them when I first started competing with him - it's not like I was hiding it from them!

Why am I competing with a dog that should be used as an assistance dog? Well, let's see - have you considered the fact that perhaps he wasn't finished his assistance dog training yet? HELLOO - it takes up to a year to train them!! DURING his assistance dog training I was competing with him. He got 3 of his passes during his training. He was not placeable as an assistance dog during that time. He was placed out recently with a disabled person to be their assistance dog but he had to be returned due to a minor medical problem. He has been living with me again while this medical problem was fixed and it didn't interfere with his ability to trial so I finished his title during these few weeks. Do you have a problem with that? Incidentally, his problem has cleared up and he will go back out as an assistance dog within the next few weeks - until it suits all concerned to settle him back in to his new home - ok?

And actually, getting his CD has indeed made him a better assistance dog. It has improved his ability to work without needing food, it has greatly improved his distraction training, attention span, precision, stability around other dogs, long stays etc etc etc. Also, competing in comps has made me a better trainer so all my future dogs will be better because of what I have acheived with Dexter.

I do not use any donations for any of these competitions - donations cover vet bills, bedding, food, medications etc - and that's IT. I am not paid for any of the back breaking work I do so if you want to complain about my financial situation - start paying my wage for me!

Some credit union paying my way - yeah right. You want to know how much money they have given us? About enough to cover expenses for one month. That was 2 years ago. CUA have VERY generously given us brochures, donation tins, stationary etc - they have given us very little cash compared to the physical stuff they have given us. Tell me how CUA giving me 'with compliments' slips has helped me in trialing? I dont' think CUA would have any problem with me competing with a dog during his training time - given that he is going to be placed anyway. Besides, the time I have spent training him for trials has not in any way taken away from time spent training him for assistance work. In fact, he has probably gotten more training than he otherwise would have because the trials helped give me deadlines and extra external motivation.

What do you mean by disabled person atomic?

The person who gave me this dog knows that he got his title and he is thrilled!! He also knows that he will go to a person with a disability shortly.

The number of dogs that I have trained as assistance dogs is none of your business. Figuring that you probably think you know me and probably are just trying to fish around for dirt on me I will tell you that it's over 10 in the last 3 years. Given that I do this ALONE in MY OWN HOME with no kennels, no extra dog permits - just one at a time - for no pay I think that's a pretty good number. That's also not counting the puppies I've raised who are yet to start adult training, or those who were donated and turned out to have hip dysplasia as adults - and had to be retired!

Go back to your mates and tell them I'm not interested in your gossip. Actually you can tell them that it's because of people like you that I got into trialing in the first place - people who said that because I had never titled a dog I couldnt' be any good. This is one step I've taken towards proving them wrong.

Kez,

thanks for the support

What have you done for the community lately racknrune? I suggest you be a little more polite and considerate for a start before you begin throwing stones at people, particularly those who are hard working and doing a damn good job.