Colour / Pattern / Markings - Importance?

Aziah

Colour / Pattern / Markings - Importance?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. When selecting a puppy/adult, is colour/pattern/markings of great importance to you?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How important is colour/pattern/markings to you?

• High
    • Medium
    • Low
    • Zero
  3. 3. Would you knock back the most suitable puppy for you based on the fact it wasn't your colour/pattern/markings requirement/preference (remember it's most suitable in every other aspect)?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking at getting my first IW many years ago, all I knew was he had to be grey - a proper iw. Needless to say, all on offer was a fawn. Which I took and never regretted. Maybe people should be more realistic in expectations for a pet or not so shallow as some appear.

To me it's a bit like the colour of a new car, only important while deciding and it matters less and less as time goes by.

I would not, but I know my parents would, they are quite specific.

We turned down a blue merle aussie puppy and got an older puppy that was a black tri, purely for colour. My dad absolutely refused to get a blue merle, for some reason he really doesn't like the colour.

They are also adamant their next labrador will be black, though this is based on more practical reasons- less visible shedding, can't see dirt on them as much etc.

If I was going to get a pet only- colour would be more important to me. For a competition or working prospect, obviously colour would not matter at all.

The only thing that would rule a dog out for me in terms of appearance is physical structure- I like a dog that can keep up with fairly high physical activity, and coat type- needs to be wash and wear.

I much prefer the look of blue cattle dogs. When picking the current puppy I didn't even look at red pups.

In saying that the dam of both of mine is red, and I wanted her puppies because she throws such a great temperament. I only focused on the blues in the litter. Luckily, the bitch was pick anyway, and breeder was happy for me to have her. I wanted a male for the second, and he was pick male. A red bitch was overall pick though.

Yes, colour is vastly not as important as conformation, temp, health etc, but in saying that you should be able to find a pup that ticks all the boxes if your patient enough. Relativey easy when my breed only comes in 2 colours. I'm not a fan of plain faced cattle dogs, but if the pup was outstanding I would still take it.

If someone has their heart set on a red SBT for instance, then with enough effort they should be able to find a suitable pup.

I dont agree with compromising other aspects just for colour. In that case the purchaser should keep looking.

I get that everyone has a preference I guess what I really wanted to know was if people would actually turn down a puppy because it wasn't the colour they preferred but it was the most suitable in every other aspect.

:)

I wouldn't turn down a puppy

however part of my selection / shortlist process

would be choosing puppies from parents who I liked the look of -

this would include colour.

I have sheep dog trialling dogs.

Colour is not important so long as they cast, bring sheep, are biddable, have presence,natural ability, strength and are well bred, I feel a superficial trait is hardly another thing to put on the wish list. :laugh:

Having said that, I don't like white border collies and always said I wouldn't own one as they generally need to be very strong on sheep being white.

However, I recently bought a white bitch and while she doesn't have the personality I usually like in a dog, she has so far won me a trial and been in top ten or there abouts in others. And every trial I go to, I get multiple offers to buy her........ Go figure

Just does to show, don't judge a book by its cover.

And like other triallers say, A good dog is never a bad colour. If it can go win a trial and work all day, it could be purple and it wouldn't matter.

Edited by dasha

I didn't know Dogue's came in black mask. Interesting.

:)

I didn't either, according to the standard though they also can have a brown mask.

Yeah, sorry, the brown mask is on the red dogs (you cant really see it) and the 'no mask' is usually on the isabella (really fair) colour. 3 mask types. :)

I have a preference for pied Frenchies, but I am not the biggest fan of Sid's colouring (he lacks pigment around his eyes and ears, which means we have to be super careful with the sun). However, he ticked every other box and his temperament is superb, so I can overlook the colour stuff.

I went looking for a blue merle, and ended up with a black tri mismark. To be honest I was attracted to her as I think mismarks are stunning, but it turned out she was the most suited for us in the litter anyway.

Now, I don't really have a preference in Aussies. Conformation and temperament are more important.

I have no issues with people having strong preferences or saying they wouldn't get a dog of a certain colour. As long as they understand that there might not be a suitable dog in the litter they have chosen.

I think this poll and judging by the posts it proves that markings and colour do contribute significantly to a deciding factor for some people, and I think we should all respect that. :o

I think there's a difference between "deciding factor" and "primary reason for purchase". I certainly respect colour and marking preferences (hell, I have them) but its hard to watch someone standing into danger with a decision based on colour as the primary reason for selecting a pup and heaven knows, we've seen members end up with heartbreak as a result.

And once again, you need go no further than blue SBTs for the most prominent example. Breeding dilutes to dilutes in any breed is fraught IMO and merles to merles is the same but hey, you get more of the desired colour that way so what the hell... :(

Colour is the gift wrapping... and a beautifully gift wrapped poor example of a dog is still a dud. But there are those keen to exploit puppy buyers who "only want a [insert colour here]" and charge like wounded bulls as a result. As a laconic friend of mine once put it "you can't put a shine on a turd". :laugh:

Colour breeding is highly controversial in quite a few breeds so a puppy buyer stepping onto Australia's premier purebred dog forum and making statements like "I'd choose colour over health and temperament" shouldn't be surprised if people who are watching good breeds go down the toilet due to colour breeding have something to say about it.

Ditto goes with approaches to breeders along the same lines. In some breeds colour is predictable. In others its a lottery. Good dogs come in plain wrapping and its hard as a breeder to listen to folk who only want colour x and can't understand why you can't breed it to order. :shrug: In Whippets the saying goes "pretty doesn't catch rabbits". Bears keeping in mind.

I'm only delighted I'm not an SBT or Labrador breeder - they seem to be two breeds badly afflicted with colour breeding atm. :( Poodles also have it as an issue.

Edited by poodlefan

PF- In what way are labradors affected?

At the risk of Sandgrubber raining fire on me because "I hate the breed".. the current craze for chocolates. Don't get me wrong... love the colour but do a casual browse for litters avaliable and conclude for yourself how many dogs are being bred for that characteristic first and foremost by folk who don't seem to do anything with their dogs.

When looking for my little guy I had really no expectation as to what colour it would be, I had a preference for a male, but that having been said I didn't mind if the right dog for me was a girl. All I needed was a friendly, easygoing temperament and the breeder knew I planned to compete in obedience and agility. So for me temperament and confirmation was way more important! As it is, he turned out to be a colour I hadn't really looked at or was particularly taken with in the breed and now I love his colouring!

PF- In what way are labradors affected?

At the risk of Sandgrubber raining fire on me because "I hate the breed".. the current craze for chocolates. Don't get me wrong... love the colour but do a casual browse for litters avaliable and conclude for yourself how many dogs are being bred for that characteristic first and foremost by folk who don't seem to do anything with their dogs.

Ok thanks :)

Wasn't sure if you were referring to the "silver" colour- they don't seem to be big here in aus yet thank goodness!