My Dog Won't Even Do A Simple "drop"

Thanks for all the replies again guys. I did take Lola this morning and it was great. The Instructor asked in the group who could do the 'drop' and there were 3 of us with dogs that couldn't. She came around and had a chat with me about different methods and thinks from stand is better, then as a few of you have mentioned to take it slow and treat first when she drops her elbows, even though its not a full drop. I'm going to work on it every day this week and see how she goes.

At the moment I can't give Lola the ultra yummy treats, she is on an elimination diet with kangaroo. So I cooked up some kangaroo steak, normally she gets raw, so this was a treat for her but possibly not the best. Anyway she did well with her sits and release command.

I'm really loving it there, all the instructors seem great and are happy to talk with us after the set time if we have any questions we want answered.

Is there a need to cook it when using it for training? Chances are she would enjoy it better raw.

Is there a need to cook it when using it for training? Chances are she would enjoy it better raw.

I want it to be a treat, not the everyday food that she gets. She never gets cooked so I think its something different, she will want to work for it more. Plus its not very nice or practical to have raw kangaroo in a treats pouch - I am vego so touching it for my dogs is bad enough. :vomit:

I want it to be a treat, not the everyday food that she gets. She never gets cooked so I think its something different, she will want to work for it more. Plus its not very nice or practical to have raw kangaroo in a treats pouch - I am vego so touching it for my dogs is bad enough. :vomit:

Have you tried usually carrots, apples, pears or banana's as treats? Sascha loves them and will do her training with just that as well. She loves her cabanossi but she also loves carrots, apples, pears and bananas. Whenever I take them out at dog school, people are always suprised that she will work for them just as well. LOL

Have you tried usually carrots, apples, pears or banana's as treats? Sascha loves them and will do her training with just that as well. She loves her cabanossi but she also loves carrots, apples, pears and bananas. Whenever I take them out at dog school, people are always suprised that she will work for them just as well. LOL

What a great idea! I can cut up some fresh apple, she loves it and I'm sure its ok for her elimination. Pleased to say that she is doing alot better, still won't do it till I say drop and actions quite a few times, but she is getting there. Thanks for all the suggestions, love this forum. :D

What a great idea! I can cut up some fresh apple, she loves it and I'm sure its ok for her elimination. Pleased to say that she is doing alot better, still won't do it till I say drop and actions quite a few times, but she is getting there. Thanks for all the suggestions, love this forum. :D

Haven't kept up with the whole thread, but if I were you, I'd quit with repeating the command and hand signals. Say it once, with the hand signal. What you're teaching her is that she needs to drop after the fifth or the tenth or the whatever'th command instruction. You need to teach her she gets one chance or there's no reward.

I know some people (not clients) whose dog has them up to 20 repeated drop commands now. But they seem ok with that, so that's the main thing. Got more patience than me, though, lol.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for the tip Erny. :)

yep was going to give the same tip as Erny. If you keep repeating it over and over, the dog will start ignorning you. Just do it was and use the food to lure her first so she knows what you want. Eventually you will be able to just do it with a hand signal and she will do it first time.

Yep I wouldn't only just give her apples but if you cut one up into small pieces like I do, its fine. Same with the other fruit and veggies. I"m so glad I have a healthy dog who loves her fruit and veggies hehee.

Haven't kept up with the whole thread, but if I were you, I'd quit with repeating the command and hand signals. Say it once, with the hand signal. What you're teaching her is that she needs to drop after the fifth or the tenth or the whatever'th command instruction. You need to teach her she gets one chance or there's no reward.

I know some people (not clients) whose dog has them up to 20 repeated drop commands now. But they seem ok with that, so that's the main thing. Got more patience than me, though, lol.

LOL - right on as usual, Erny - and love the bolded bit about the 20 commands :D

Erny :

LOL - right on as usual, Erny - and love the bolded bit about the 20 commands :D

Lol ... it started as 3, then 5, then some more (I stopped counting for a while) then more still. "Twenty" is a literal number. As I said - horses for courses and they seem happy enough with that. I congratulate the fact that there is no raised voices nor tempers, and they are nice people :).

Erny :

Lol ... it started as 3, then 5, then some more (I stopped counting for a while) then more still. "Twenty" is a literal number. As I said - horses for courses and they seem happy enough with that. I congratulate the fact that there is no raised voices nor tempers, and they are nice people :).

haha oh gawd, really thanks for that tip because I don't want that to be me!(which it was heading that way) LOL :laugh:

haha Trish I didn't know you were on here! Thats great, I will persist some more and see how we go. But all the trainers so far have been fantastic. I was one of the ones out there in the rain on grand final day, boy was that fun! :laugh:

Have to miss this week, couldn't get off work but the next week I will have Lola. However I am hating bringing her out at the moment, she has lost a heap of weight on the elimination diet and it looks like I'm starving her. Already had a few people ask me questions and they don't know anything about eliminations and ask me why I have her on a diet when she is so skinny already. :cry: Only another 2 weeks on kangaroo thank god then I can fatten her back up.

However I am hating bringing her out at the moment, she has lost a heap of weight on the elimination diet and it looks like I'm starving her. Already had a few people ask me questions and they don't know anything about eliminations and ask me why I have her on a diet when she is so skinny already. :cry: Only another 2 weeks on kangaroo thank god then I can fatten her back up.

I feel your pain, Lindainfa. My own boy has digestive issues and being lean > skinny is not an unfamiliar state for him. He usually otherwise looks happy and energetic and reasonably healthy (although they don't know what his "best" can be like), so I'm certain people think I just don't feed him enough and it is hard to resist the urge to explain yourself away by telling everyone what you're up against. Then it feels as though you're guilty by default and trying to make up excuses. But don't worry too much at Trish's school .... I'm sure most people would understand. :)

Edited by Erny

Does anyone have any youtube links to teaching a good drop?

I came across this one the other day from Kikopup. Its called "The best and fastest way to teach stay". (It incorporates drop too).

It goes for about 18 minutes but it's very interesting to watch :)

From one Frenchie mum another - I just want you to know that Asti is one stubborn girl and that you shouldn't give up!!! I think Asti has worked out that I"m stronger willed than her so I'll keep trainig her until she gets it... I found its easier to get her to sit, drop, high 5 or 'look at me' but we're still working on "watching" and "look at that" and some days I feel like we're getting no where and others I think OMG something's clicked!!!