Beet Pulp In Dry Dog Food

Baileys mum

I was just wondering what Dolers opinions are on beet pulp being an ingredient in dry dog food. I've done a bit of a google & their seems to be lots of conflicting opinions, some say its not a very good ingredient, & its recommended to avoid any dog food that has it in it, others say its an ok ingredient.

I've heard about it being ok for horses, but I'm still undecided whether its alright for dogs.

It's an ingredient in some popular premium foods like Nutro....which is a food I'm considering trying my dogs with if Black Hawk doesn't work out,(still waiting on BH sample ) but I'm just unsure about the Beet pulp.

I would appreciate all opinions please. :)

I don't have any experience with it with dogs as mine are fed raw but it is interesting that it is in dog's food because when fed to horses it MUST always be well soaked beforehand as it expands really dramatically. It is very high in fibre. Of course the amount would be minimal in the dog food, so I am not really sure of the benefit maybe someone else can explain.

Guest Black Obsession

Beet Pulp is used as a filler, to create bulk. It has no nutrient content. Apparently, it's a controversial ingredient, but I'm not sure why.

I personally wouldn't buy a dry food that contains Beet Pulp because it suggests that the overall quality of the food is low.

Edited by Black Obsession

I don't have any experience with it with dogs as mine are fed raw but it is interesting that it is in dog's food because when fed to horses it MUST always be well soaked beforehand as it expands really dramatically. It is very high in fibre. Of course the amount would be minimal in the dog food, so I am not really sure of the benefit maybe someone else can explain.

Beet Pulp is used as a filler, to create bulk. It has no nutrient content. Apparently, it's a controversial ingredient, but I'm not sure why.

I personally wouldn't buy a dry food that contains Beet Pulp because it suggests that the overall quality of the food is low.

That's the reason why I started this thread Black obsession, in the hope that someone can give me a good explaination on why its not a good ingredient & why its controversial.

I've read opinions from sites that are for it, that its a good form of fibre, but really no explanation of why it is so bad.

Guest lavendergirl

It depends where it appears on the ingredient list. As it is essentially considered to be a filler the higher it appears on the ingredient list the poorer the quality of the food. I also have read that it can cause tear stains so I avoid it for that reason also.

Dry dog food is well dry. Fiber needs to be added to prevent constipation. Beet pulp is a gentle form of insoluble fiber.

Yep Jules, that's one of the positive reasons for adding it to dry food, but I would like someone to explain to me why its seen as a controversial ingredient.

It depends where it appears on the ingredient list. As it is essentially considered to be a filler the higher it appears on the ingredient list the poorer the quality of the food. I also have read that it can cause tear stains so I avoid it for that reason also.

Mmmm....Nutro has it as their 4th ingredient, so maybe not so good.

I think people only believe it's controversial since it has no calories or vitamins or other nutritional value, so people don't want to pay for something that they see as only a filler. However, dogs do need more than calories and vitamins in a food. Beet pulp is supposedly put into the food as fibre (good for gut health), and as a prebiotic (enhances growth of good bacteria in the gut). Whether that is beneficial or necessary, I don't personally know.

I don't know where wild canids get their fibre from, or even if they need it (I've seen video of wild wolves happily eating fallen fruit, which would contain fibre, but that would not occur year round). Perhaps the hair coat of the prey does a similar thing in a natural state? Or perhaps the rumen & intestinal contents that inevitably get ingested along with the guts is sufficient?

Or, perhaps wild canids don't need fibre at all, and fibre only becomes necessary/beneficial for a dog when they are being fed their diet in a artificially low-moisture format?

Some people also claim that saponins in the beet pulp are harmful, but I believe that has been debunked.

The benefits of beet pulp

One of the biggest advantages of by-product feed sources is that they are usually readily available and affordable. In addition, beet pulp has several additional advantages over many other common fiber sources such as peanut, rice, or soy hulls. Beet pulp is an insoluble fiber source that is moderately fermentable. This means the fiber from beet pulp has the benefits of adding bulk and moisture to animal stools while providing an energy source that can improve the health of the colon. Slow to moderately fermentable fiber sources, like beet pulp, are often recommended as one of the best sources of fiber for dogs and cats.

Beet pulp has been most commonly used in horse feeds. Horses are true herbivores and up to 40% of their calories come from digestion of food in the colon. There, fermentable fibers are broken down into volatile fatty acids by bacteria. These volatile fatty acids are then utilized by the beneficial bacteria and the horse as an energy source. Little digestion occurs in the colon or large intestine in dogs and cats, however, so they would receive few calories from the beet pulp. Nevertheless, beet pulp would improve colon health by providing the beneficial bacteria with a small amount of volatile fatty acids.

The disadvantages of beet pulp

There have been several reported problems concerning the use of beet pulp in animal foods, including potential swelling in the stomach, palatability, and plugging of the intestinal villus. Few of these have been substantiated and most refer to the feeding of beet pulp to horses. Some studies conducted in horses actually used a quantity of beet pulp that provided up to 50% of their daily calories, therefore, any negative (or positive) effects of beet pulp were related to the large quantities that were fed. Keep in mind that the amount of beet pulp that is normally fed to horses is a much larger quantity and greater percentage of daily intake than would ever be fed to a dog or cat.

Summary

In summary, beet pulp is considered to be an excellent fiber source in most commercial pet foods. The addition of beet pulp to commercial dog and cat food is widespread, but the actual amount eaten per day is quite small. Beet pulp is rarely the only available fiber source; as a rule, a variety of fiber sources that cross all ranges of fermentability and solubility are recommended. In addition to being a good fiber source, beet pulp may have a slight advantage over some other fiber sources because of its benefit to the intestinal bacteria that help maintain colon health. Beet pulp is often found in many quality foods, and when fed correctly, is an ingredient that can be beneficial to almost all pets.

References and Further Reading

Hand; Thatcher; Remillard; Roudebush. Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Edition. Walsworth Publishing Company. Marceline, MO; 2000

One of the biggest advantages of by-product feed sources is that they are usually readily available and affordable. In addition, beet pulp has several additional advantages over many other common fiber sources such as peanut, rice, or soy hulls. Beet pulp is an insoluble fiber source that is moderately fermentable. This means the fiber from beet pulp has the benefits of adding bulk and moisture to animal stools while providing an energy source that can improve the health of the colon. Slow to moderately fermentable fiber sources, like beet pulp, are often recommended as one of the best sources of fiber for dogs and cats.

Beet pulp has been most commonly used in horse feeds. Horses are true herbivores and up to 40% of their calories come from digestion of food in the colon. There, fermentable fibers are broken down into volatile fatty acids by bacteria. These volatile fatty acids are then utilized by the beneficial bacteria and the horse as an energy source. Little digestion occurs in the colon or large intestine in dogs and cats, however, so they would receive few calories from the beet pulp. Nevertheless, beet pulp would improve colon health by providing the beneficial bacteria with a small amount of volatile fatty acids.

There have been several reported problems concerning the use of beet pulp in animal foods, including potential swelling in the stomach, palatability, and plugging of the intestinal villus. Few of these have been substantiated and most refer to the feeding of beet pulp to horses. Some studies conducted in horses actually used a quantity of beet pulp that provided up to 50% of their daily calories, therefore, any negative (or positive) effects of beet pulp were related to the large quantities that were fed. Keep in mind that the amount of beet pulp that is normally fed to horses is a much larger quantity and greater percentage of daily intake than would ever be fed to a dog or cat.

Summary

In summary, beet pulp is considered to be an excellent fiber source in most commercial pet foods. The addition of beet pulp to commercial dog and cat food is widespread, but the actual amount eaten per day is quite small. Beet pulp is rarely the only available fiber source; as a rule, a variety of fiber sources that cross all ranges of fermentability and solubility are recommended. In addition to being a good fiber source, beet pulp may have a slight advantage over some other fiber sources because of its benefit to the intestinal bacteria that help maintain colon health. Beet pulp is often found in many quality foods, and when fed correctly, is an ingredient that can be beneficial to almost all pets.

Hand; Thatcher; Remillard; Roudebush. Small Animal Clinical Nutrition 4th Edition. Walsworth Publishing Company. Marceline, MO; 2000

Thank you so much for this info S n D :thumbsup: It was very helpful. :)

I dont see why it would be a total waste ingredient considering horse people pay good money for a 20kg bag

Horses are herbivores. You pay good money for Lucerne for horses too. Doesn't mean I would necessarily use it as a recommendation to feed it to a dog.

The thing to remember about dry food is that it is not a natural food for dogs. It is forumlated to make it digestable and support the basic calorie and nutritional needs of dogs, but it is not a natural food for them and as such there are a lot of things in dry foods that are there to 'fix' the problems caused by feeding that type of food. 'Scientifically formulated' is correct - commercial dry foods are constructed in a lab. Fibre content is one of those things added to dry foods to 'fix' the issues of providing the food in a dry and denatured form.

Also remember that as a commercial money making activity where cost to the consumer is being balanced against ingredients commercial dog food companies are forever doing scientific studies to find 'more economical replacements' which can deliver a similar nutritional profile to that required. For example, that tome 'the nutrient requirements of dogs' which puts together the known scientific 'wisdom' on feeding dogs for the benefit of commerical companies, states that carbohydrates are not required by dogs (except by lactating bitches), but that carbohydrates can be added to foods as they are 'economical' (tht's right - even the studies admit that best nutritional content isnt always the reason for adding something). Beet pulp too, as a byproduct of other processes, is an economical addition. Note that beet is used more extensively overseas than here for the production of sugar and as an animal feed for cattle etc.

An interesting bit of history. The first commercially produced dog foods were the result of grain mills using their floor sweepings to create dog biscuits, thus 'value adding' to their production and profits.

For example, that tome 'the nutrient requirements of dogs' which puts together the known scientific 'wisdom' on feeding dogs for the benefit of commerical companies, states that carbohydrates are not required by dogs (except by lactating bitches), but that carbohydrates can be added to foods as they are 'economical' (tht's right - even the studies admit that best nutritional content isnt always the reason for adding something).

I've read that too, and it always confused me. What did pregnant wolf/dog bitches do for their carbs before they started to live with people? And why weren't they better adapted to their natural diet?

I could never work that one out either as a pregnant bitch in the wild is not going to get carbs and a lot of raw breeders have found their bitches don't need them. I did mention it above though as that is what they specifically state in NRD. I havent seen the studies first hand which show lactating bitches need it either, though I have seen the studies which show that dogs on a low to no carb diet have better energy and stamina and that energy intake is more efficient from protien/fat and from a low to no carb diet.

(Edited to add a thought - the placenta contains carbohydrate (particularly glycogen). Not sure if there is any correlation here - noting that consuming the placenta is beneficial for the whelping bitch. This isn't going to help the bitch for the whole period of lactation though :confused: . While carbs are generally less that 1% in muscle meat, the liver also contains a slightly higher percentage of carbs. Many bitches have a preference for organ meats including liver leading up to whelping, though most do go back to more bones/muscle meat afterwards - had never thought of these occurrences in terms of carbs though - more in terms of calcium etc and how they assist in avoiding eclampsia) Sorry for getting so OT...:o

Edited by espinay2

Summary

My previous post mentioned it's use for horses,only fairly recently in Australia but for years in the UK( I have used it myself with horses but I did not find it of any significant benefit so stopped) . What my concern was that beet pulp MUST be soaked before feeding to horses as it expands alarmingly and yes I know their systems are totally different from dogs I wondered if that would affect dogs if fed dry. Is it necessary in dog food? I think for dogs there are other ways for them to get fibre and yes in the wild the fibre was gained from what was in the preys stomach as well as the hair that would have been consumed. I think a lot of feeding is getting way too complicated and confusing to many people who are trying to do the best for their dogs.

A simple well balanced diet is the way to go, whether you choose raw or commercial.

For example, that tome 'the nutrient requirements of dogs' which puts together the known scientific 'wisdom' on feeding dogs for the benefit of commerical companies, states that carbohydrates are not required by dogs (except by lactating bitches), but that carbohydrates can be added to foods as they are 'economical' (tht's right - even the studies admit that best nutritional content isnt always the reason for adding something).

I've read that too, and it always confused me. What did pregnant wolf/dog bitches do for their carbs before they started to live with people? And why weren't they better adapted to their natural diet?

My dogs eat fallen fruit......plums, peaches etc. And Benson used to pick it from the trees, he'd test it for ripeness with his teeth first then pull off the ripe ones.

My dogs eat fallen fruit......plums, peaches etc. And Benson used to pick it from the trees, he'd test it for ripeness with his teeth first then pull off the ripe ones.

Yeah, I've seen videos of wolves doing that too in one of the National Parks in America, they looked like they were having a pretty good time too! But, fruit is pretty seasonal, and it's not the same season that wolf puppies come in?

in the wild the fibre was gained from what was in the preys stomach as well as the hair that would have been consumed

The 'eating the preys stomach' thing is a bit of a perpetuated myth. Eminent wolf researcher David Mech has done a lot of work on wolf pack feeding habits for instance. While a single animal eating small prey like a rabbit may eat the stomach (which is pretty small so more trouble to remove than swallow), when eating large prey a pack will not eat stomach contents. They specifically avoid it and Mech is very clear on this fact. I have seen this for myself too working with a captive wolf pack. Hair/hide isnt always eaten either and a lot of the 'they need hair/feathers for fibre' thing has long been disproved as well.

Yeah, I've seen videos of wolves doing that too in one of the National Parks in America, they looked like they were having a pretty good time too! But, fruit is pretty seasonal, and it's not the same season that wolf puppies come in?

That is correct - it is seasonal (late summer mostly wheras pups are usually spring) and opportunistic. Most fruit in the wild isnt really like commercial fruit either. More like berries. Eating food like this is not 'energy efficient' for a canid so they don't go out of their way to do it. Just if it happens to be where they are and is 'easy pickins' (or they are an outcast and desperately hungry). They need to expend their energy catching prey that will sustain them and that is where their main focus is.

Which leaves the question... why are pregnant & lactating bitches apparently more productive and healthier with carbohydrate in their diets, when it was apparently not available to them for most of their evolutionary history?

Perhaps it will just have to remain one of life's mysteries. :laugh: