Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

Yes BQ, having a large resident snake living on your property is good because

it is keeping smaller snakes away and it probably knows and has met your animals

and is aware of them, therby making a surprise meeting more unlikely.

Big snakes are more likely to give a dry bite where as smaller snakes

will unload their venom when they bite.

If a snake has nowhere to hide it will not stay around, they are very shy and

like somewhere to get out of sight.

Thanks for the information went to your site and read the stuff there which is useful.

I am afraid of your friends but was interested in the dry bite comment.

Why is that the case?

Generally unless you are food they strike at you to get you to back off. They won't waste their venom unless you are food or a danger to their life. If you or a dog hassles them then they will envenomate because their life is in danger. Young snakes are more likely to envenomate as tend to be more defensive

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been keeping the dogs closer, but still off lead of late. However, after this morning's walk, it's on lead till we get to the oval now. I came across a very fat Tiger snake this morning. Only a baby one of about 4 feet in length, but bugger me it was fat. I havn't seen a young Tiger with as much excess in a long time, possibly my entire life. It makes me think this season's snake sightings will be more prolific, as there appears to be an abundance of food for them.

Luckily, when I spotted the snake, it was a split second before little Astro did. I called a very sharp "NO.....LEAVE IT" and thankfully, he did. He watched it very interested in what it was and what it was doing, but to his credit, he held and waited. I put them both straight on the lead immediately!!! Bloody snakes, I can handle spiders and other stuff, but snakes really bother me. Growing up on a farm has instilled a decided hatred of the nasty buggers.

BTW, the area I was walking in is the Eastern end of the police road paddocks in Endeavour hills. It was on the path along the Wetlands Walk. We were nowhere near the water either. Matter of fact, it was probably the place I would least have expected one. Bugger, we had a ball in there over winter.

I used to share a feed shed with a very long brown snake. We knew where its hole was but the snake catcher said we were better off "keeping it". It lived under a couple of pallets so the dogs couldn't get to it and it never tried to get them.

I used to make a lot of noise on approach to the feed shed and wear knee high gum boots when I was in there just in case. It didn't make a huge dent in the mouse population, I think it was extremely well fed.

I didn't see any other snakes around while it was there. But I'm fairly crap at spotting them unless they're directly across my path on a smooth flat surface where they stick out. We didn't lose any pets to snakes either.

PS I think Shannon Lush might be wrong about snake poo keeping mice away given they lived in the same shed.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

yesterday afternoon i was happily about to bounce down the back stairss waving my pruning shear about.. when i encountered a green tree snake heading up said stairs.. we both saw each other at the same time and shreiked :eek::eek::eek: aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

chucked a u turn and sped off in the

opposite direction :laugh::laugh:

H

Went on a walk trail today and realised that there was a rather large very fat and healthy dugite around 8 inches from my foot!!!! My kids had just walked past it as they were infront of me :eek: . He moved - rather casually back into the bush. Was a rather impressive specimen.

OMG snakes give me the willies for some reason.

I could be wrong, though I thought right after the lawns were mowed on the weekend (we have two acres of house yard)

would be a good time to let the dogs run wild (still supervised of course) I figure the noisy ride on would put snakes off for a bit and the lawns are really short so I can spot a snake easily.

Tricky time of year regardless :o

A puppy I bred (now 7 months) was bitten by a black snake yesterday. The owners live in suburban Sydney and don't know where it came from.

It was found dead in their yard when they came home and the puppy became unwell a bit later. He had a wound on his leg. He has had anti-venom and was on a drip overnight and seems to be okay today.

Be on guard. It seems they can appear from nowhere.

I got a call at work today from the wife to say she found the dogs playing with a red belly black snake. Rushed home (45 minutes) & Merlin, my male GSD, was breathing heavy but other than that appeared to be ok. He did have some drops of blood on his front legs but could not tell whether he had been bitten or it came from the snake when he was "playing" with it.

Did a urine test at the vets & there was urine in the blood which is a tell tale sign of being invenimated. Just checked with the vet & all appears good. He is on a drip with antivenine. Fingers crossed for the morning.

Greg

What a great bunch of responses,

It does seem like more people here would rather let the snake go on its way

and not go

for the shovel

which is good for the snake and

good for the environment as well.

Someone asked if putting snake poo out works as a deterent for mice.

It dosnt.

I have seen mice eat the stuff. :confused:

If anyone has a question that

needs answering in a hurry,

just ring me on 0408067062.

In the meantime, why dont you kick back and watch some videos

i have made over the last couple of weeks.

I hope you enjoy them. :D

And subscribe to my Youtube channel please.

Edited by snake catcher

Yep went to school with Sasha and we have warning signs posted about a brown snake that has been sighted. And to first check the offlead areas before taking the dogs off the lead. Today after doing my check I find out 1 hour later that the snake was curled up at the front of school in some box it found. :laugh:

But the signs do tell us to leave it and just tell the office where it was and that it will go away on its own accord. Still scares me a little but its nice that the club is being responsible and even if I look like a goose checking the paddocks before letting my girl out I'll do it. LOL

Lots of road kill ones here (out at woop woop) and 2 spotted close by the house but it looks like the netting may have deterred them from the dog yard. Tracks were lost when it went onto grass.

In May my dogs were seen playing with a rbb, off to the vet and tested..all ok but my male tested positive for death adder!!! I was in Queensland at the time, hubby at home in NSW. Hubby said he hadn't seen one here in about 20 years. It has to have happened when they took off for 8 hours which made us put up the dog yard REALLY fast to contain them 15 months ago.

saw the big brown again thismorning, Quinn woke me up barking int he house then came into my room and pointed it out sliding rihgt by my window.

Puting a snake catcher in all our phones and going to try to keep an eye on it next time and get it picked up, making us all very nervous, have seen it 4 or 5 times in the last 3 weeks. Poor dogs have been stuck indoors for 2 weeks now other than walks and in the backyard on long lines under supervision or at dusk/in rain.

A puppy I bred (now 7 months) was bitten by a black snake yesterday. The owners live in suburban Sydney and don't know where it came from.

It was found dead in their yard when they came home and the puppy became unwell a bit later. He had a wound on his leg. He has had anti-venom and was on a drip overnight and seems to be okay today.

Be on guard. It seems they can appear from nowhere.

Terrible. Which suburb?

City of sydney Ecology report noted the following:

The wildlife rescue organisation Sydney Metropolitan Wildlife Services reported a peregrine falcon in Ultimo - residents also reported them in the CBD - and a red-bellied black snake in the Royal Botanical Gardens, while local residents reported sightings of red-bellied black snakes in Redfern and Glebe.

City of Sydney ecology manager Katherine Oxenham said red-bellied black snakes are unusual in the Sydney LGA. They were reported by residents along heavy and light rail corridors in Redfern, Glebe and Pyrmont where there was still some of their preferred moist, long grassy habitat. While these could be from remnant populations, they could also have hitched a ride into the city on a train or a truck, she said.