Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes I have seen eastern browns yr round here on the farm in NW NSW but generally the only time we come across them in the cooler months is when we are moving stored bales or tin, machinary parts etc n they are very slow to react n tend to attack as an eastern brown will when all heated up.

No snake expert me , But I have been told our snakes do NOT hibernate

they just slow down in winter and thats why we do not see as many .

keep an eye open all year round .

yes. In fact I've been told it is worse to run into a snake when it is cold because they can't get away as quickly, therefore increasing the risk of direct confrontation. I've been told that the safest time to go for a walk is in the middle of the day, as opposed to early in the morning.

I guess like all reptiles they will be dependant on warmth for activity so winter would definitely be a slow, not doing much period for them...hence the idea of a "hibernation" although not technically correct in terms of say a bears hibernation. Given that underground has a constant warm year round temperature, so less activity above ground, less out and about sunning themselves, less need for food and less hunting, I would guess they are most active at mating season.

Edited by LizT