Just A Heads Up. They're Back! It's Snake Season Again&#3

LizT

Was out feeding the horses this morning when a lovely big matt black snake with a cream under belly (Copperhead)casually glided by in front of me taking refuge in a woodpile created after a tree had fallen by the dam. Hubby had chopped up the wood but left the pile sitting by the remainder of the tree.

Bet he wont be going near that woodpile now till July 2012!!

So best keep an eye on our inquisative canines!

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a huge brown snake on the road out the front of my neighbours paddock yesterday on my way home. I thought it was a stick til it stuck it's head up and looked at me. Scared the heck out of me. I thought it was going to go under my car. :scared: I had visions of it getting into the engine and dropping in while i am driving. :bolt:

When i looked in the rearview i could see it making it's way into the grass on the edge. Thank goodness.

snakes have been out for a month and a half, they're just super active now especially in areas with rodents/rabbits. Where my friends place is inundated

I've trapped 6 mice just within a week! I put them on the fence post in the morning for the kookas and they're so used to it now they wait each morning to see if they're going to get one. I assume the snakes are out too. I worry about these dogs, I know Tag will have a go at one, silly boy.

If you keep encouraging the kookaburras they

are great at keeping snake populations down.

They, and ravens, crows and magpies eat lots of baby snakes

and are a great 1st line natural defence.

If your baiting mice,

get the bait that does not kill these birds.

No, I dont bait mice, I break their poor little necks with traps.

If you keep encouraging the kookaburras they

are great at keeping snake populations down.

They, and ravens, crows and magpies eat lots of baby snakes

and are a great 1st line natural defence.

If your baiting mice,

get the bait that does not kill these birds.

what is the name of that bait, I know there is one that does not kill if something eats the dead from bait thing . I have not used baits for yonks , but would be good to know the one i can use if I need to .

Police Rd Paddocks in Rowville/Doveton have them out and about too. I had to stop Zsa Zsa from chasing one into the grass two days ago. Our walks are all now on the open fire trails where visibility is good enough to give a warning. Thankfully, Zsa Zsa will walk by my side when asked, so we can still use the area, just have to be careful.

Someone mentioned that Vitamin C injections will assist in snake bite with a dog? Anyone heard of this? I may have some half baked info, but I thought there was some sort of kit with it in it??

Yes I have heard of it. No scientific evidence as yet and some have claimed their dog has survived due to Vit C. Many believe it is because they may have had a "dry" bite so not been envenomated. I would try it if ages from a vet, but not where I am as I can be at a vet quite quickly

Hi Snake Catcher

A little off topic I know though I am having problems with big lizards atm.

My dogs are fine and I can recall them though one of my new fosters is a shocker.

The other day we had a huge bluey, he has lived here for years. He came out on a hot day, luckily I was there and recalled the dogs/grabbed Kye. I waited for him to move away and kept the dogs away from there for the rest of the day.

Sadly he reappeared two days later out the back and Kye got to him. I called wires and took him to the vet though sadly he had to be pts. I was really upset as this has happened before.

Should I be trying to relocate lizards away from our property to help them? They seem to keep coming back for some reason?

Spoke to Oberon tourist information for people heading out over the Blue Mountains this weekend - they say to be careful as snakes are out and about - even up at the dam behind the town, so if camping in the state forests be careful (and check for baiting, which has also been happening in the local area).

I dont have a lot of faith in the vitimin C theory,

but some farmers believe it works..

Not to many toxicologists think much of it though.

@ Dandybrush, snakes are most often seen on warm mornings and afternoons

which is when they sun themselves.

On hot days the snake will avoid the midday sun and find a shady spot to chill.

Tigers anakes can be found out and about later in the

evening when they raid birds nests after the daytime birds have gone to roost.

Snakes are about now and hopefully they will be safe from people and dogs and vica-versa.

At Nick.b, unfortunatly, if your dog is killing lizards, then you need to watch him very carefully.

The law of averages will catch up with him and one day he will attack a snake.

If you find blueys on your property, relocate them to the nearest bush where they will be safe.

They may come back, just move them again........

or, get an electronic pulse training collar and begin re-training.