What Would You Do?

Red Fox

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like others have said. Sometimes things come up in life because they are supposed to. Maybe the universe is trying to get you to be more impulsive instead of being anal organised :laugh:

If there is no real reason to say no, then say yes. And run with what happens.

I was in a similar situation to you, I ideally wanted a pup the beginning of next year, then a few happy coincidences happened and now I have Zora. She is a show/performance potential dog and I don't think I could have ended up with something more perfect for me had I put an order in with the dam ;)

I also only wanted a puppy early to mid 2012 and i had my name down for a yellow female. This litter came along and i liked the lines a lot ( also knew the sire, he was a pup at the same time as my older dog) , no yellow females were born but 2 lovely males were and once i saw them i knew it was a the litter for me.

I would wait. I normaly put a deposit on a planned litter I like the look of 12 months in advance and then select an appropriate pup from the litter. Go with you're gut instinct though. I will take the pup free of charge if it does not work out :provoke:

Edited by Jeff Jones

I'm someone who tries to be rational when it comes to sentient beings as they deserve the best care we can provide; this includes the emotional and financial states that we are in which influences the type of care we can give a puppy. We had the opportunity to pick puppies other than Wilbur that would come home to us sooner. We had some previous arrangements regarding holidays that we couldn't change; it was these arrangements that lead us to only look at appropriate litters that would be due to come home mid August (two weeks after we came back from holidays). We would not have been able to adequately care for a new puppy when on holidays or as soon as we arrived back. Our definition of adequate care includes that no one else looks after a newly arrived puppy; that's our responsibility as owners. The best solution was not to get a puppy until we could give adequate care.

Perhaps you can take a little time to reflect on what is holding you back so you can clearly define the reason; this will allow you to rationalise the situation in terms of whether or not you can meet all the needs of a puppy at this time. :)

If it's a WL mally, you'll need lots (lots) of time to devote to it, an actual job for the thing to do, and someone good to give you training help when you need it.

If you have all those things lined up, then I say go for it if you feel inclined. If you don't have some of those things organised yet, I'd recommend waiting until you do.

Mine came spastic, and is still spastic. I hear some come with off switches, but as far as I'm concerned those are mythical beasties. :laugh:

Although my girl has a job, and we train for it 10 or so hours a week (plus regular exercise/obedience obviously), I still often feel like I'm seriously underutilising her. She is only really alive when she's working. The rest of the time, she's just waiting for work to start. She's damn good at her job, though.

Edited by Staranais

Time, money and club/breeder support are not an issue. Giving the pup a job is also sorted.:)

I've been waiting a long time, I just expected to be waiting a little longer..

SA, if I didn't want spastic I'd be getting a different breed :laugh:

LOL, tell me that again in a year. But in all seriousness, if you've got support, crapload of time, and a job for the dog sorted - I say go for it!

Your life, furniture and garden will never be the same. Mine has eaten the back of a ute too. :laugh: But overall she's (mostly) worth it.

LOL, tell me that again in a year. But in all seriousness, if you've got support, crapload of time, and a job for the dog sorted - I say go for it!

Your life, furniture and garden will never be the same. Mine has eaten the back of a ute too. :laugh: But overall she's (mostly) worth it.

Lucky I don't own a ute then. Though I hear they can demolish the back of a wagon in no time too.:rofl:

What breed of dog is it???

WL Belgian Malinois

Take the plunge but I think we need an on-line diary :D Sounds like a hoot but you're a braver woman than I :laugh:

Brave or completely nuts? Not sure there will be time for a diary :laugh:

Reminds me of a book I was reading for a while about someone taking in a mountain lion. :laugh: Such destruction!

Mountain lions are small fry ;)

Maybe I better send the midget up she will get you into gear before the Mallie arrives and then you can quadruple the energy and destruction level :rofl:.

So is the answer YES yet :rofl:.

Edited by ness

Guest Black Obsession

Follow your heart :)

I think I should expand on this 'cause it sounds a bit like I'm encouraging you to be impulsive...and that's not what I meant at all.

For me, following my heart means listening to my feelings and being true to myself.

I was on a waiting list for a female puppy until recently...but the mother only had one male pup! The breeder offered to keep me on their waiting list, for their next litter. They are going to get back to me when they have a clear idea of when this will be. It could be months or years away, but I don't mind waiting because I have decided that this breeder is the right one for me.

Having said that, if another puppy became available from a breeder who felt right for me, then I would buy that puppy.

I hope that makes sense :)

Mine came spastic, and is still spastic. I hear some come with off switches, but as far as I'm concerned those are mythical beasties. :laugh:

Mine must be a mythical beast.:laugh:

Start crate games the day you get your puppy.