What Would You Do?

Red Fox

What would you do if you were offered a fantastic pup from a well known breeder ...6-12 months before you "thought" you were ready?

Would you take it? Or wait another 12 months for a litter that may not eventuate?

I have put this in the training forum as the pup I am looking at is a working puppy, not a pet. And obviously a huge commitment.

I would be a little cautious being offered a fantastic working pup because promising working litters are usually well spoken for often sold before whelp and would question why the pup is available? It would also depend how easy it may be to find the particular working litters you like as to taking one now or waiting for other opportunities to arise.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What would you do if you were offered a fantastic pup from a well known breeder ...6-12 months before you "thought" you were ready?

Would you take it? Or wait another 12 months for a litter that may not eventuate?

I have put this in the training forum as the pup I am looking at is a working puppy, not a pet. And obviously a huge commitment.

Wweellll I have taken on two dogs just before I thought I was ready and they were both brilliant and it worked perfectly. SO I would take the puppy :)

I would be a little cautious being offered a fantastic working pup because promising working litters are usually well spoken for often sold before whelp and would question why the pup is available? It would also depend how easy it may be to find the particular working litters you like as to taking one now or waiting for other opportunities to arise.

Zara, there is no shortage on homes for these pups.

Just watched that video and my pup is that active minus the barking...

I think most pups are :).

'SecretKei' timestamp='1317340776' post='5519358']

'zara' timestamp='1317182926' post='5516089']

Zara, there is no shortage on homes for these pups.

Secretkei, what I meant was that I didn't perceive from your post that you had your name down on a litter and one popped up on offer suddenly and sometimes happens with surplus pups that lack the better traits although still need a good home. I was just saying that I would want to know how one popped up on offer as often really promising working litters are presold with deposits taken before the mating has occurred. You are correct in saying there are no home shortages for pups from promising litters which is usually the case and often hard to even buy one.

SK I had a similar thing happen. I knew about the litter and had seen some photos but had my name down for the next litter around 12 months down the line.

Well things changed and a Rommi became available. I really umm and arr'd. I wanted to maek sure I was ready, I really tend to over think things and as I had young kids I was worried about how much exercise a Whippet would need as an adult (read - very very little as long as your lounge is comfy, they are happy)

I tortured myself for 2 weeks and it came to decision time. I said yes, then very nearly said no, but eventually went yet this is it. Puppy arrived within two weeks and I was like oh crap I haven't had time to go shopping!!!!

I felt a bit unprepared as I normally have things very organised and know before the litter is concieved that I want one, then make sure there is a pup for me etc. Usually me getting a puppy is a good 6 to 12 month long exercise. Getting a pup 2 weeks after saying yes really put me in a little bit of a spin.

When I got Lewis I met him and he arrived a week later and we had no plans of a second dog for another couple of years. So glad we got him and as he was 8 months old it wasn't such a holy crap momnet :) - oh and the kids were older by then!

not all working litters are presold considering you dont know what's going to pop out of the bitch. Some breeds are incredibly hard to place properly. Some breeders would rather wait for the right home to come along then just promise a pup to whoever puts down a deposit and go 'yup I will have something to fit'. You usually find the homes to fit the pups, not the pups to fit the homes if you get my drift.

I would also not say that just because a working litter is not presold it's not good quality. I have an awesome working line dog sitting on my lap right now that took months to sell, and her sister. Doesnt mean they were poor quality at all, they're both incredible little dogs and people are enquiring about a repeat mating.