Stem Cell Research

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge public THANK YOU to DOL member Inevitablue :curtsey::thanks:

She has been absolutely fantastic and very knowledgeable. She's provided active support to our vet and continues to be interested in my girl's well being.

Background:

My baby girl (7.5yo) has had stem cell therapy 9 days ago. It's early days yet but today she is smiling and seems pain free.

BTW her problems were caused by us (not her breeder). She's should never have done so much high jumping, running like a greyhound and rock climbing.

So ask away if you have any questions.... I'll share the 'owners' perspective.

Edited by HonBun

A huge public THANK YOU to DOL member Inevitablue :curtsey::thanks:

She has been absolutely fantastic and very knowledgeable. She's provided active support to our vet and continues to be interested in my girl's well being.

Background:

My baby girl (7.5yo) has had stem cell therapy 9 days ago. It's early days yet but today she is smiling and seems pain free.

BTW her problems were caused by us (not her breeder). She's should never have done so much high jumping, running like a greyhound and rock climbing.

So ask away if you have any questions.... I'll share the 'owners' perspective.

:)

I did post this question in another thread - interesting in knowing experiences of anyone in Melbourne? Any vet recommendations? I have a 7.5 year old Labrador who has severe arthritis, so would love to do this for him so he doesn't need constant pain relief.

Hi Fozzie, you can't go past Ray Ferguson at Monash Vet. He has done most of Monash Uni's trial work over the past 3 years. The most experienced vet in Australia with cultured stem cells. He is also very frank when he thinks it might not be the best option for your dog.

There are other vets in Melbourne who offer the surgical removal of fat method, but I haven't been involved in that for awhile now, so I'm not sure who they are.

Fozzie, do it! I'd go with Inevitablue's recommendation.

Here it's day 12 post-op and my girl is getting better and better. She asked to go for a walk this morning and wow what speed - I had to slow her down! I am loving this.

Your boy will probably get a pretty funky haircut for the procedure :laugh: My baby did (hehe)

They usually don't come back that clipped up! LOL Once the vet gets used to the injection angle the prep area becomes much smaller.

At least with this method they don't come back with a large scar from the fat harvest.

I did post this question in another thread - interesting in knowing experiences of anyone in Melbourne? Any vet recommendations? I have a 7.5 year old Labrador who has severe arthritis, so would love to do this for him so he doesn't need constant pain relief.

Hi Fozzie,

We're also seeing Ray. We've had a couple of visits with him, and he's fantastic. We're booked for the 13th.

Hi Kahnazhu

The operation is on the 13th? Good luck and please post and let us know how it goes! My boy is being assessed on the 22nd, so fingers crossed they think he is suitable.

Hi Fozzie,

Our fingers (and paws) are crossed for you! :thumbsup: please let me know how you go.

Yep Operation on the 13th. We drop her off before 3pm and pick her up at around 5-6pm. I will definantley let you know how it goes. After the initial consult (xrays etc), at Ray's reccommendation, we put het on Fish Oil and Glucosamine tablets. We're doing it for the same reasons. She has hip dysplasia and arthristis (and is 10), so we figure that if it helps and gives her better quality of life, we'll give it a go! And we've lost nothing by trying.

Hi Kahnazhu

The operation is on the 13th? Good luck and please post and let us know how it goes! My boy is being assessed on the 22nd, so fingers crossed they think he is suitable.

He is most likely going to be suitable. Just need to rule out neurological issues and other problems such as spondylitis etc. Statistically he falls into the osteoarthritis category.

Would be fantastic if you could get some before and after footage :)

Hi Kahnazhu

He is most likely going to be suitable. Just need to rule out neurological issues and other problems such as spondylitis etc. Statistically he falls into the osteoarthritis category.

Would be fantastic if you could get some before and after footage :)

What a good idea! I will do

Edited by Fozzie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone!

Well our girl had her procedure today! In at 3.15pm out at 5.15pm and 15 million cells in each hip! She also looks like a reverse poodle (2 shaved spots on her hips) ;) ! For the next 3 to 4 weeks she is on light exercise only, with swimming if available :) which is handy seeing as we're heading to the beach for Christmas! Considering the size of the needle that was used, she's moving really well at the moment and seems happy, kinda like nothing has happened! :thumbsup: I'll give some updates over the next couple of weeks. Many Thanks to all the DOL'es that sent their doggy love and support!! And big Thank You to Ray Ferguson for performing the procedure!!

Now, if everyone will just keep their fingers and paws crossed that it helps!!!