Pm's 'cavoodle'

GeckoTree

[Yep, and $1,800 for a "spoodle". I couldn't see anywhere on the website where they health test the parents either. :cry:

The whole point to their marketing since way back in Don Burkes most active pro DD days is that they dont need to test because each breed has different recessives. While ever there is no mandatory health testing and breeders from all groups dont test its rather a wasted argument .For every commercial breeder you find who doesnt test you can find breeders from any group who dont test .

Fact is it works more in their favour than against it as their stance is there is no need - and there isnt for recessives.

But where is the merit in breeding a "well boned dog" (Cavalier) with a fined boned dog(Poodle)??? You could end up with a strong boned body on spindly legs?? Not a good thing where both breeds can have pattelar issues.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i just wish someone would whisper in their ears those two and tell them they are making a decision that will reflect the whole nation and what australians think about puppy farms. it makes us all look that we support this industry to the rest of the world. :mad

Oh sorry but what a load of crap, td. He's buying her a puppy - end of story. Yeah it's disappointing but you really think the 'rest of the world' even has the Australian PM on Red Alert because her boyfriend buys her a mongrel? It will reflect on the whole nation on a global scale? Come on...get serious. People buy puppies every day of the week.

Sadly, Raz is right. He could have bought her a fur coat and only a few would really care.

People want these dogs. No amount of talk about purebreds is going to stop that. People like these little fluffies.

i mean i agree with you to a certain extent, but you see, i've asked countless people (in customer service able to do that spread the word type thing and most pepole are astonished and never knew what an ethical purebred breeder does) about where they'd purchase a puppy from? these people aren't all that dog savvy and most say from a registered breeder of a purebred. one of my co-workers did just that, never consider a cross bred mutt she said. also someone did purchase a cav cross poodle from a petshop then found out about puppy farms afterwards so now they are going to get a puppy from a proper breeder, so i directed them here and told them to screen ofcourse. so most know where to go. but why didn't the PM's partner know? is he in a glass cage, doesn't he read the paper or listen to news updates on the tele? oscar law rally was plastered everywhere. you have to wonder.

but i spose if you have someone close that has gone to a farm picked up a dog online and its worked out good ofcourse they will be plugging it wont they.

my co-worker that got a puppy from a reg breeder came across a bloke who said they can make money off their dog before they got it desexed use it as a stud and earn 15 grand a year, thats what he was doing offering it to people with cross breeds in the paper was advertising. so i eventually got my co-worker to desex the dog and talked about puppy farmers and health tests and eventually turned her my way. there is another co-worker that breeds their dogs for money and was encouraging as well. but now they also have their dog de-sexed no longer breeding for money. it was a breed that is trying to get recognition with ANKC.

Doesn't it come down to people being uneducated about buying pups? Tim could have easily gone to the local pet shop and picked up the pressie. I guess he's gone online and found a website that says it breeds lovely happy little puppies and can have one ready just when he wants it. It has the pics to show how cute they are. He is just like any number of people who have been conned by the pretty pics and speil. JMO

Very true.

Also just wanted to point out, although Tim is buying this dog as a present for Julia do you not think that she had say in the breed she wanted...? I am sure he asked her opinion and took her advice on what breed she was after.

True...and it could have gone something like this...

"Oh, I don't know Tim, I like Cavaliers and I've always loved poodles....."

but why didn't the PM's partner know? is he in a glass cage, doesn't he read the paper or listen to news updates on the tele? oscar law rally was plastered everywhere. you have to wonder.

He probably thought the same thing I did if he saw it - Oscar's Law people are completely irrational.

Oscar's Law - I'll give it one thing...she had the wiles about her enough to think that dumping Law at the end of a dog's name made stupid people think it was legislation of some type.

Edited by raz

i just wish someone would whisper in their ears those two and tell them they are making a decision that will reflect the whole nation and what australians think about puppy farms. it makes us all look that we support this industry to the rest of the world. :mad

Oh sorry but what a load of crap, td. He's buying her a puppy - end of story. Yeah it's disappointing but you really think the 'rest of the world' even has the Australian PM on Red Alert because her boyfriend buys her a mongrel? It will reflect on the whole nation on a global scale? Come on...get serious. People buy puppies every day of the week.

yes but we hear about the US president about his choice and it was a good choice because he wasn't a fool he obviously listened to his advisors he was under immense pressure to make the right choice. these guys in this country just don't give a damn. don't you think this doggy story will also be in the news? i once came across leaders of nations and their choice of dogs, so when it comes to Australia they will list a bloomin' cavoodle. people the whole world over are interested in animals. yes people do buy puppies but those people aren't prime ministers of a country are they and in the spot light. i mean she was the first woman prime minister for Australia dont you think that would have made news overseas? people would be turning their attention on her to some extent i wouldn't mind betting.

Doesn't it come down to people being uneducated about buying pups? Tim could have easily gone to the local pet shop and picked up the pressie. I guess he's gone online and found a website that says it breeds lovely happy little puppies and can have one ready just when he wants it. It has the pics to show how cute they are. He is just like any number of people who have been conned by the pretty pics and speil. JMO

Very true.

Also just wanted to point out, although Tim is buying this dog as a present for Julia do you not think that she had say in the breed she wanted...? I am sure he asked her opinion and took her advice on what breed she was after.

True...and it could have gone something like this...

"Oh, I don't know Tim, I like Cavaliers and I've always loved poodles....."

:laugh:

but why didn't the PM's partner know? is he in a glass cage, doesn't he read the paper or listen to news updates on the tele? oscar law rally was plastered everywhere. you have to wonder.

He probably thought the same thing I did if he saw it - Oscar's Law people are completely irrational.

Oscar's Law - I'll give it one thing...she had the wiles about her enough to think that dumping Law at the end of a dog's name made stupid people think it was legislation of some type.

yeah why is it called a "law" when it isn't a law its just a gimmick for the public to gain attention really. everyone's saying i want oscars law but if they were serious about any of what they say wouldn't they be trying to get it passed as legislation they aren't they're just chanting it like zombies.

I don't really care what dog she has...

Would have been nice to see the leader of our nation pick a rescue - imagine the push for rescue that could have ensued if that were the case.. (we live in hope, I guess)...

I do wish they would do away with the stupid cross/mix names though. (And puppy farms)

yes but we hear about the US president about his choice

People hear about the US president because he's the US president. Ya really think people all around the world hear about the Australian PM because of a puppy her boyfriend bought her for her birthday? Dear god. Just shaking my head.

The place is not filthy - friends have been there.

However, they are breeding companion animals (animals who are bred to love human company) on a mass scale with no real human interaction. They don't hide from this.

Do you know what their policy is on taking back pups and general back up?

Well I dunno, sometimes I think I must be living under a rock. I had never heard of Billabong Creek Farm or Oscar's Law either for that matter, but this thread piqued my curiosity and as Google is my friend I ended up on the Billabong Creek Farm facebook page.

Oh dear. It's pretty apparent which one comes across as the nutjob. Potty mouth indeed.

Edited to add - Kudos to you Steve, fighting the good fight must be frustrating at times.

Edited by montall

I emailed Billabong Creek Puppy Farm asking why if I bought a pup from them it was essential that it was desexed before they would sell it to me, the response.

'Because it is a pet, and not tempted to be used as a breeding animal. Our desexing policy will be mandatory soon for all pets sold, so we are doing the responsible thing in this regard already by desexing all pets prior to sale.'

Guest Black Obsession

There is a petition on the Get Up site, asking for council or government-subsidised sterilisation for dogs, and the banning of puppy farms. It's in the section where people can make suggestions for campaigns:

http://suggest.getup.org.au/forums/60819-getup-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/2164803-council-or-govt-subsidised-sterilisation-for-dogs-?ref=title

I emailed Billabong Creek Puppy Farm asking why if I bought a pup from them it was essential that it was desexed before they would sell it to me, the response.

'Because it is a pet, and not tempted to be used as a breeding animal. Our desexing policy will be mandatory soon for all pets sold, so we are doing the responsible thing in this regard already by desexing all pets prior to sale.'

oh is that right is it, more like they don't want anyone else breeding mutts like them so they can have the monopoly pulling in the big bucks. it is by law they have to desex, it wasn't their decision alone. twist on words i think.

People hear about the US president because he's the US president. Ya really think people all around the world hear about the Australian PM because of a puppy her boyfriend bought her for her birthday? Dear god. Just shaking my head.

:) we'll have to agree to disagree on that point. but it doesn't matter i don't think she's going to be in for that much longer anyway, my faith in her has been completely lost after all this.

Well I dunno, sometimes I think I must be living under a rock. I had never heard of Billabong Creek Farm or Oscar's Law either for that matter, but this thread piqued my curiosity and as Google is my friend I ended up on the Billabong Creek Farm facebook page.

Oh dear. It's pretty apparent which one comes across as the nutjob. Potty mouth indeed.

Edited to add - Kudos to you Steve, fighting the good fight must be frustrating at times.

so his comments are all still on there? i will have to get my friend to show me. thats good that they are just proves a point about his mentality.

I don't really care what dog she has...

Would have been nice to see the leader of our nation pick a rescue - imagine the push for rescue that could have ensued if that were the case.. (we live in hope, I guess)...

I do wish they would do away with the stupid cross/mix names though. (And puppy farms)

Our Nations Leader taking on a "Rescue".....now that's something I think EVERYONE would have loved to see.

Was reading The Punch [think Tory has a BC fetish]...

http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/icb-thanks-tim-but-a-cavoodles-not-a-real-dog/

ICB: Thanks, Tim, but a Cavoodle’s not a REAL dog

by Tory Shepherd

29 Sep 12:02pm

Welcome to this week’s I Call Bulls@!t, a weekly column on shenanigans of all kinds. Today we look at Tim Mathieson’s 50th birthday present to Prime Minister Julia Gillard. A Cavoodle.

Hybrid vigour? I call bulls@!t. These designer dogs are just mongrels with a ludicrous price tag. Keep your bulls@!t special-purpose cross breed, your genetically manipulated bundle of non-shedding joy.

Keep your Labradoodles and Shegroodles, your Foxyhuahuas and Afghanitas, your Bullalutes.

Get a real dog.

Sure, Cavoodles look pretty cute. All silky hair and floppy ears and manipulated good looks. I get that warm squirmy ‘fur-kid’ feeling just looking at photos.

But really, it’s a mocked up sort of glamour - it took too much effort. More Brynne Edelsten than Kate Richie.

What’s more, genetic variation means you never know for sure which breed will dominate – the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or the Miniature Poodle. Imagine if it’s the poodle. Shudder. You could wake up one morning to find your I-swear-it-wasn’t-a-puppy-farm-purchase sprouting pink ribbons and topiarised hair.

And if you went to a dodgy breeder, it’s possible there’s nothing miniature about the poodle in the mix and then you apartment-dwelling top-to-toe brand name consumers will be in trouble.

Real dogs include anything missing a leg, any dog of indeterminate origin, anything rescued or found, and Border Collies. They’re well known to be the most real when it comes to real dogs.

This is why they feature so prominently on dog food packets. Dog food packets which are bought by Cavoodle owners who wish they had a Border Collie.

They’re the smartest, fastest, most crazy-in-a-loveable-way kind of dog.

Sure, mine won’t stop licking the furniture till it’s soggy. But that’s a purebred quirk. It’s just eccentricity, like wearing jodphurs or marrying your sister.

They’re friendly, too, border collies. If a little prone to jumping up on guests. It’s almost an embrace, paws to chest, tongue lolling. And ours has pretty much stopped losing control of its bladder at the same time, which is nice.

Other purebreds suffer all sorts of problems – in some cases with walking, or breathing even, but not border collies. Well, maybe a little hip dysplasia. A tendency to herd small children – most of whom, let’s face it, could use a nip around the ankles now and then.

But a Cavoodle? It’s up there with growing an ear on a mouse, or making a shoat, a liger, a mule, or meat in vats.

Bloody cute, though.

Happy birthday, Prime Minister.

EFP =]

Edited by Noishe