Pm's 'cavoodle'

GeckoTree

467118-cavoodle.jpg

Cavoodle puppies at Billabong Creek Farm near Taralgon. Herald Sun

AUSTRALIA'S soon-to-be First Pet may think he's a cavoodle, but he's yet to discover he is actually a little Bulldog.

News Prime Minister Julia Gillard is to be presented with a puppy for her 50th birthday has already brought the perks of office to the prized pooch.

The Western Bulldogs will sign up its No.1 female ticket holder's new hound as a pet member.

And with honorary membership comes his little pet supporter's pack, complete with travel water bowl and "Bulldog in Disguise" sticker for the rear window of Comm car 1.

Just a month old, it will be five weeks before 'Little Monkey", as he's known by his breeders, leaves his brothers and sisters in Gippsland to take up residence at The Lodge.

The pet is a present from Ms Gillard's partner, Tim Mathieson. Cavoodles can sell for about $1500.

Born to mum Ying, a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and sired by Neelix, a miniature poodle, the pup is likely to grow up enjoying a dip in the property's pool.

"Poodles are water spaniels and Little Monkey will probably be a keen swimmer," said Liz Seear, from Billabong Creek Farm.

She said the designer dog was perfect for the busy power couple.

"They are the sort of people pets who don't care who is minding them so long as there is someone there to play with," Ms Seear said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/a-little-monkey-business-at-the-lodge/story-fn7x8me2-1226148467277

Edited by -GT-

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Prime Minister,

I am writing to express my deep disappointment at the news that for your 50th birthday, you will be presented with a designer mongrel. I believe you have been told the dog is a Cavoodle. Just to let you know, backyard breeders also call them Cavapoos, because when you're operating outside the guidelines of ethical breeding you really can make up whatever you like.

At a time when we euthanise a quarter of a million companion animals a year, I find it hard to believe you have embraced a crossbreed that represents staple income for puppy farmers. Your choice of designer dog will surely encourage others to seek out crossbreeds and I believe sets a poor example for the nation.

I hope you understand that the act of mating two separate breeds of dog does not automatically create 'hybrid vigour', and is no guarantee of the health of the dog. It is not the case that crossing two breeds cancels out the health problems of both. It is in fact the case that you have as much chance of your dog inheriting the genes that cause the health problems from both breeds. For reference, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels crossed with Poodles tend towards ailments from both parents, including cataracts, epilepsy, progressive retinal atrophy and various ear problems.

Hybrid vigour is a term used to describe offspring that are superior to both parents, but it is a term that can only be applied after the fact. It is not a guarantee. If you cross two breeds and the pups are superior to the parents, that is called hybrid vigour or heterosis, but you also run the risk of the opposite happening. When you cross two dogs and their progeny are inferior to the parents, it's called outbreeding depression.

When President Obama in the US had the opportunity to purchase a dog for the White House, he pulled off a PR coup. Coming under vast pressure to rescue a dog, but also wanting a pure breed because of his daughter's allergies, he managed to adopt a pup that had been returned to its breeder - a practice which ties in with ethical breeding. Ethical breeders should always be willing to accept back a dog that they were responsible for bringing into the world. The White House had its dog, and campaigners for each different agenda - rescue, pure breeding, animal welfare - had something to please them.

In your case, it appears you have allowed your partner to buy into a concept, an industry and a dog that is central to Australia's poor record with puppy farms and companion animal welfare. At a time when Oscar's Law in all over the media, I could hardly believe it when I heard you were getting a designer cross.

For shame, Prime Minister, for shame. You truly have blundered blindly into the midst of an issue of ethics and animal welfare.

I can only hope your new dog brings you joy and enjoys the best of health.

Yours

XXXXXXX

Billabong Creek Farm - not a very bloody effective job done by those who tell us how bad it is and want it shut down. This is a cruel blow for Oscars Law and prisoners for profit. these are the ones Tranter accused of planning to raid their homes and kill their pets

http://www.prisonersforprofit.org.au/?p=410

We advised our police contacts and our lawyers, but we have also had to move our pets for their own safety. I have had to move house for the third time in 12 months. :rofl: These people don’t hesitate to kill their dogs and I have been told “we are going to shoot you, like we shoot our dogs”. They watch our facebook pages obsessively and take note of every little detail. They have hacked into our emails and the computer crime squad are investigating, they have phoned our Council’s and lodged complaints about us keeping too many dogs on our properties.

These are the type of people that are breeding our pets. These are the type of people the pet shops deal with, out the back, and hidden from public view. These are the people that we are fighting to shut down.

We can shut down this industry that views our pets as mere breeding machines. Don’t ever give up, keep up the pressure.

let the games begin! :rofl:

let the games begin! :rofl:

I actually feel like I've been sucker punched. Between Vic's BSL, feeling helpless because in spite of my efforts the media are having none of the information I've sent them to get them to think about the real issues, and now the PM getting an -oodle...

I sat at a lunch for work yesterday and listened as the PA of a consultant wittered on about breeding her staffy with a blue boy and she making 'wrestler' style gurning muscle gestures to describe the size of the boy. I couldn't speak. I froze up. I suppose it's something that the girl beside me, who I've worked with for four years and talked to about 'pet stuff', knew exactly what was going on and tried to change the subject.

It makes me so sad. :(

/edited because I probably shouldn't swear.

Edited by SpotTheDog

Great time to expect more cross bred cavaliers and poodles now they have drapped them in the australian flag... Wonder if they asked if the parents have had their health checks..

Yep and prices just went up sky high at Billabong Creek.

I wonder how Julia feels about a photo promoting her new puppy breaching flag protocol

Does it really?? Is there somewhere that can be reported??

Yep. Ring up the 7pm project, spot. I'm sure Hughsie would love to have a crack at that.