Pm's 'cavoodle'

GeckoTree

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Might not be Cavoodles, was just making the point that the company offers testing for crossbreeds too. I will check on Monday and let you know what breeds/crosses are in there.

I know there is testing for cross breeds but cant see them offering PRA testing for cavoodles.

i know many of you said that these oodle breeders are only breeding first cross but what if a few of them aren't. i mean to say, that maybe if they bred a spoodle with another spoodle mixing up the PRA genes and then they could match up better. someone said here that they get alot of spoodles or oodle dogs with PRA and other genetic problems coming into their clinic.

just a thought.

Edited by toy*dog

Sorry, not sure if this has already been posted, but this is a story in the weekend Australian magazine from 2010 which talks about the profit making motives of the cross breeding puppy farms and interviews the Billabong Creek farmers, as well as the Valley View farmers. Although it has a slighly unbalanced focus on pedigree breeders being snobbish and obessesed with ribbons (and not the real reason for breeding being to improve the breed overall) its still worth a read if you've missed it. And there's a DOL reference in there too ;)

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/making-oodles/story-e6frg8h6-1225860114820

read the article, i have to say that is the biggest piece of BS i've ever read.

pedigree breeders are jealous, jealous of what? so many statements i could mention that aren't true about pedigree breeders, its all about advertising how nice these dogs are - so the PM could have read this and what a pretty picture it does paint eh.

but no one stopped to think about testing for PRA, HD, (rotties can suffer from this if not tested, my auntie bought two and both ended up with horrendous HD because none of the breeding dogs were tested for HD was from a backyarder).

valleyview is putting spoodle to spoodle or oodle to oodle. no mention of follow up all the pups they breed which is thousands it is physically impossible to follow up adult dogs they have bred with owners breeding that many dogs, i heard it was around 2000 a year! and see what genetic problems generations suffer from. if you are interested in what you breed claiming they are healthy you'd be interested in following up to improve. and make it your business.

ugh there is so much to mention i'd be here all day. most of that article is just untrue crap. we are not all snobs, i love all dogs no matter if it is a cross bred MONGREL or not. i have one myself atm and have in the past owned mutts!!!

ETA: he was actually addressing me on facebook and he is a nasty nasty man, and thats all they have to prove to people they are better, hybrid vigour, if you know anything and most obviously they don't, you can't get vigour until you have a long line of proven and tested and researched sound dogs and i know they can't possibly do that breeding anything to anything and pedigree breeders breed sick dogs brother to sister for the showring?? when i know that is not the case at all. he was spouting that off to me on facebook, what crap, they don't know the first thing any of them what a breeder does in order to produce healthy happy dogs - the money we do spend we are entitled to get that back at least to make ends meet? i can't see them testing but why would they when they said so themselves people just want a fluffy dog of any description and willing to pay almost $2000 because of the ignorance. and that other woman....words fail me, anyone can be called a "breeder" these days, just get two dogs with ANKC papers breed them together. a breeder is so much more than what these reporters are making it all out to be.

and ofcourse still, the whole story about educating the public didn't get out there once again - silence from our side of the story. they probably cut the ped breeders statements off to suit themselves and make it look like we are all snobs anyway. and......they think its funny to pit one group against another do they. and to spout off what we are saying and what we do and what we think.

all in all what most pedigree breeders object to in all of this is the destruction of our purebreeds that have evolved sometimes thousands of years with mankind and to say cross bred mutts that have been here for aprox. 20 yrs are better than the original when there is no scientific proof just rumour is utterly ridiculous when you know dogs - all dogs not just purebred pitted against mutt. :(

Edited by toy*dog