Jump to content

Emergency! Dog In Respiratory Distress!


Recommended Posts

Is there anyone on the northside of Brisbane who can help? A friend of mine who lives out at Wamuran (past Caboolture) has a bitch in respiratory distress! It can't breathe, it's tongue is blue, it's tongue and mouth and face is all swollen and it is weak and drooling!

She can't get it to the vet as her hubby has the car at work, he left his phone at home and can't be contacted! She has tried to get a vet out with no success. I'm two hours drive away from her so I cannot help.

Is there anyone local to that area who could please help out? I know it's a big ask but we are desperate. The dog needs help! She lives too far out for taxi service and there are no neighbors within walking distance to help.

Please call me on 0447000523 if you can help!

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can she try the local police - they may not be able to help with transport but they will probably know who can. The local grapeviners ( general store managers, post office agency mangers etc etc) also may be able to make suggestions.

Also get on phone to local vet, they can advise over phone somewhat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PF I'll ring her and ask. What kind of AHs are suitable for dogs? Suggestions?

RP she can't get thru to her vet. I'll try mine. I'll see if she knows anyone that can help, she can't get onto any of her mates at all! I'm freaking out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something like zyrtec (Zyrtec®) 10mg tablet - 0.25-1 mg/dog, Phenergan (Phenergan®) 10mg tablet 1 mg/kg, Benadryl (Benadryl®) 2-4 mg/kg , Clarantyne (Claratyne®) 10mg tablet 0.5 mg/kg 5-10 mg/dog or an epipen can be used.

Edited by grumpette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing I thought of was wasp or bee sting in the mouth.

Given the swollen head, that was my first thought. I've googled cane toad poisoning and it doesn't mention swelling.

We need Danielle back for an update.

Edited by poodlefan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok I'm back! Someone managed to get in touch with her husband and he's racing home from work to take her to the vet now. Thank dog!

Doggy is currently propped up on the couch with frozen peas on her face, she's being held up in a sitting position to help her breathe. She's had the phenergan.

Will update as soon as I know what's going on. Please send healing vibes for this bitch, she's got a litter of pups. :(

Thanks to everyone who replied and gave advice, you are all so wonderful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

found this emergency treatment http://womansday.nin...ane-toad-poison

and this

If your dog is poisoned, it will usually suffer from seizures or convulsions. These convulsions are often fatal unless you seek urgent veterinary attention. STOP - DO THAT NOW.

The poison can also affect the heart of dogs and cats, causing immediate cardiac arrest.

After it has mouthed a toad, it is vital that you remove all trace of the poison from your pets' teeth and gums.

Do this:-

  1. Use a jet of water from a hose to remove the toxin
  2. The water jet should be directed forward out of your pet's mouth, not down into its throat.
  3. Rubbing the teeth and gums with a soft rag containing human toothpaste may also help to remove the toxin.

If your pet is poisoned

If you suspect a toad has poisoned your pet, you will have a good chance of saving its life with this additinal prompt action.

  1. Transport the dog to your vet as quickly and quietly as possible
  2. Keep your pet cool (as they overheat when convulsing) and gently restrained
  3. If it is convulsing, it can damage itself by knocking against objects - try to gently restrain your pet by wrapping it in a towel
  4. It may not recognise you and may also become quite vicious. Handle an effected animal with extreme caution.

Edited by Purdie
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It does sound like a cane toad, but do cane toads cause massive swelling? She said the dog vomited to begin with, was pawing at it's mouth, swelled up and it's tongue turned blue. She was thinking snake but I thought obstruction. I just hope they get her seen to fast enough.

And a big thank you to the lovely Doler who just rang a minute ago to offer assistance! You are wonderful and very thoughtful! Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...