Wombaroo, Animalac Or Divetelact?

Parkeyre

I never needed it but I got the Leerburg recipe and had everything on hand for that. I actually made 1 batch up when we had nesting signs as a just in case. I then used that for Jazz for the first few days, she loved it. Can;t say how it would have gone with puppies but I decided on it as I had seen it recommended here.

Having tried a few different brands I much prefer the Leerburg formula and highly recommend it above all others. I give it to mum, pups and and the adults when there is left overs and they all go crazy for it. Cheap and easy - and great for them, what more could you want :thumbsup:

Totally agree, great formula...but I have milking goats so I usually just do the goats milk to top up if needed.

I use divetelac. When I did a lot of wildlife caring and shelter fostering (neonates) I used a couple of other things but always came back to it as it was the easiest to measure and mix (which can be useful in the wee hours when sleep is very scarce...) and I always had the best results on it.

I do also use Impact colostrum supplement by Wombaroo. I prefer it to other probiotics like protexin, and it works if mum is on ABs as well.

Please people when you use a milk replacer why not try and use one one that is made for pups.

Personally I don't care what any one uses but as many people read these forums they can get into difficulty and race off and purchase

something that may be wrong and indeed do more harm than good.

Many people don't understand that many dogs are lactose intolerant and could end up with problems by using some home made recipe's.

I am not saying that any of these home products are no good, I am just saying be careful.

Before we we had milk replacers we all did the best we could with what we had, but in this day and age we have prepared products meant for milk replacement with correct nutrition for baby puppies.

My bitch had heaps of milk with both litters,so I didn't need to supplement....but I did use a milk replacer to mix in with their food when I started weaning the puppies.

With my first litter I used Biolac, but I found the puppies didn't seem to keen on it. With my second litter I tried Wombaroo, & they puppies absolutely loved it & really thrived.It is very easy to mix up too. :)

My bitch had heaps of milk with both litters,so I didn't need to supplement....but I did use a milk replacer to mix in with their food when I started weaning the puppies.

With my first litter I used Biolac, but I found the puppies didn't seem to keen on it. With my second litter I tried Wombaroo, & they puppies absolutely loved it & really thrived.It is very easy to mix up too. :)

Yes, I did the same with the puppy food. I also used a little in the dam's water - she would drink as much as she could get that way.

Just a question about the Leerburg formula. If you are using yogurt, isn't this cows milk and won't it contain lactose? Can't be bothered googling.

From here

Yogurt made with active and live bacterial cultures is a good source of calcium for many people with lactose intolerance. When this type of yogurt enters the intestine, the bacterial cultures convert lactose to lactic acid, so the yogurt may be well-tolerated due to a lower lactose content than yogurt without live cultures.

If you use cows milk, adding a junket tablet to the milk will break it down too. Using goats milk is a preferred option IMO if you can get it.

Edited by espinay2

I have used Biolac, Divetilac and also a milk replacer from the produce (generally its Wombaroo) and I can buy it in bulk or by the kilo. Never had a problem with either of these.

At an emergency,I have used lactose free UHT milk or Goats milk if I run out or cannot get proper milk replacer.

I use a milk frother to mix mine.

Its very rare for puppies to be lactose intolerant - because bitches milk has lactose . When baby mammals are born they produce an enzyme called lactase to be able to tolerate and assimilate lactose without a problem .

As they are weaned if the milk with lactose in isnt still part of the diet they stop making the lactase and their body cant make it quickly enough when they drink milk to do the job so they become lactose intolerant .

So as new babies lactose isnt something you need to be concerned about . the only time its an issue is if the dog hasnt had milk for a couple of weeks and then its given milk again.

The leerburg one is best because some of the powdered ones are dificient in Arginine - no big deal if its something you are using to suppliment but if you are using it as a replacement with hand reared pups you sometimes see issues develop such as nutritional cataracts .You also dont know how old the product is and many of the vitamins ar destroyed by storage so you end up with a powder that has the minerals but no live vitamins to assimilate properly - again not such a biggy if its just a suppliment but may show in joint issues later if its used as a replacemnet.

As mine get older especially the Maremmas I use dencovit which is for all mammals but comes in 20kg bags and is much cheaper because its sold via stock feed places for farm animals - direction on the bag for dogs.

From 6- 8 weeks they get a big warm drink of milk before bed every evening - they love me for it too. I also feed my adults this milk too.