7d Or 1d Mark Iv?

I'm in desperate need to update my old camera. My 20D is just not cutting the mustard after exceeding it's reccomended shutter count (50,000 shutter count life) by probably 200,000 photos. Adding to that, my flash gave up the ghost a few weeks back....

I've decided that I really need a new camera, conveniently my birthday is just around the corner ;)

After much consideration with the OH we are stuck on two cameras. I want the 1D Mark IV, he being the penny pincher he is wants me to go for the 7D. I do like the 7D, don't get me wrong, my step-dad has one and it is nice to play with - however it's set out completey different from my 20D, which will be a bit of a learning curve. Though I figure that'll be my problem no matter what camera I decide on...

The 1D draws me in by the high ISO capabilities, the fact that it does 10 frames per second and the 300,000 shutter life . Image quality seems very nice too. The fact that it doesn't have a built in flash doesn't bother me as I have my speedlite I can use. The weight of it isn't an issue either...

The 7D, is half the price. It doesn't have as high ISO as the 1D, but I read that the 1D isn't that fantastic at a high ISO anyway... Shutter speed is 8fps which really isn't too shabby (is 10fps really that much more??). The shutter life of the 7D is HALF that of the 1D....

If I want a camera for my birthday then I can get it (7D), otherwise i'd be waiting untill next year for a new camera (1D) - and I don't know if I can go that long without a camera! (imagine all the end of year birthdays i'll miss, and not to forget christmas!). The way I see it, I take so many photos i'd really need to buy 2 7D's to get the same life out of it as I would one 1D. The 10fps really does appeal to me as I take alot of horse and dog photos, and trying to get the perfect movement/stacked shot is a bit of a pain with fewer frames per second.

I guess I really want to know, does anyone have the 1D Mark IV, what do you think of it? Is it really worth the extra $3000, especially for someone who doesn't make any money out of photography, and has it as a hobby only?

I honestly don't mind waiting to get a camera that I want, but if the 7D isn't THAT much different I don't see the point of spending $3000 more than I need to (imagine what other lenses I could get with 3 grand! Ok, probably ony 2, but 2 lenses that i'd want to buy anyway).

Any insight, or an outside opinion, would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by aquaticmalamute

Short answer, no, the extra isn't really worth it for your needs, I don't think.

Yes, it's a fabulous camera and the 1D series is just a joy to use. But they are expensive, big and bulky. They are not cameras you are going to take here and there just in case, imho. I almost always grab my ungripped 40D for that kind of thing.

I would go the 7D.

As for shutter life, you said you shot 250,000 on the 20D whose shutter life was 50,000 - so that's what? five times what they predict? You'll likely find that the shutter on the 7D lasts far longer than predicted, too. And shutters can be replaced for less than a new body usually ;)

Yup, I'd head to the 7D and spend the money on a holiday (or a new lens if you really really need one).

KJA you're pretty good at making things a bit clearer ;) I do like the 7D, and it's nice to hear someone other than my completey non-camera savvy OH tell me that I should get the cheaper camera.

Everything you said does make sence! The 7D will probably way outlive it's reccomended life, as my 20D did. The 1D is heavy, and I do alot of hiking in the wattigan mountains. Plus we just got back from Hawaii where my camera went everywhere with me, and honestly after a 3hr humid hike in the mountains lugging my 20D around it felt like it weighted 5kg, i'm just picturing how uncomfortable I would have been if i'd done it with a 1D!

I do have a habit of just chucking my camera in my bag as a last minute rush-out-the-door decision, I would imagine i'd be thinking twice about grabbing a 1D on the way out the door...

Oh and yes, I really really need a new lens (not really, but there are plenty that i'd still like to get!). I just need to come up with a way to convince the OH that I need such and such a lens, even though he thinks that they all do the same thing and that i've lost the plot ;)

Don't forget to take into consideration the sensor size and lenses. If I'm correct I believe your current 20D has the same size sensor APC-C 1.6 crop as the 7D, while the 1D has an APC-H 1.3 crop. The 1D only takes EF lens mounts but the 7D will take the same lenses as your 20D.

:)